Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

mischief posted:

Eh, even in the most organic approach there is a time and place for tearing poo poo up every now and again.

It helps to have a heavy counter rotating tiller when you need one.
That's true, but one thing I'm grateful for is sometimes just giving myself permission to not do something. Like, I still pull up the creeping charlie and nightshade as best I can, because those are highly poisonous to me and others. But I mean if there is a crop I don't feel like planting or harvesting for whatever reason, sometimes I just don't. Especially not if friends have more than enough produce they're already trying to give out. I call it my tribute to nature, lol

Heavy tillers are a good investment for when something does need to get done. You might be able to rent one if the job you need it for isn't that big. e: or borrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Our tiller definitely gets loaned out more than anything. Chainsaws and pressure washers are up there but the tiller gets flogged pretty hard.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Oh yeah, a pressure washer is another thing I've needed pretty often, but not often enough to justify buying one.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Real tillers are surprisingly expensive both new and used it seems, so rental seems like a better option for this time and when I resod my back yard. I can chop/hoe cover crops under by hand.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Orbs posted:

Oh yeah, a pressure washer is another thing I've needed pretty often, but not often enough to justify buying one.

Unless you really need it for like commercial grade use, I find electric ones that run about 100 to 150 bucks get the job done. I have used it to effectively clean paved walkways, wood decks, tile floors etc. I also use the lowest settings and nozzles to wash cars and do windows.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mischief posted:

Our tiller definitely gets loaned out more than anything. Chainsaws and pressure washers are up there but the tiller gets flogged pretty hard.

i got a 16' sun joe tiller walmart had on sale and it really is handy, great for quickly turning under cover crops, great for busting up grass and making new beds, etc.

probably terrible if you needed it for serious commercial use but really useful at home

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion posted:

:getin:

A lot of work ahead of me though! Going to do another levelling pass to get everything straightened out, and then I'll be putting together a concrete block raised bed on it. Should be awesome when it's ready to go though!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

1.8 tons of concrete blocks delivered today. Surprisingly, moving them is significantly less tiring than doing half of the remaining levelling was. (I do have a hand truck though)

Main structure is finished! :dance:

Now I just need to stick it all together so I'm not constantly adjusting blocks after bumping into them / leaning on them / etc. I really like the look of the bare blocks, but dealing with mortar/adhesive would have been a nightmare given how many adjustments I had to make and sections I had to re-do to get it all straight and fitting together. So I'm going to slather the whole thing with surface bonding concrete. Still wavering on the dye color, though - I had initially thought of going with a light terra cotta but I'm second guessing myself, maybe I'll play around in an image editor and see how it looks.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Looking great! I like the rat statue

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Thanks! I love how it turned out. I know I'm not maxing out the growing space but I wanted to jazz up the yard a bit and there's a decent amount of space to add more beds if/when I want to grow more.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I think I had too high hopes for a tiller. It's really more of a finishing tool. We have a bed in our front yard that is unusable because of a mat of sub-surface roots. I was hoping a tiller would make at least a couple inches usable, but probably I need to use a stump grinder.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Main structure is finished! :dance:

Now I just need to stick it all together so I'm not constantly adjusting blocks after bumping into them / leaning on them / etc. I really like the look of the bare blocks, but dealing with mortar/adhesive would have been a nightmare given how many adjustments I had to make and sections I had to re-do to get it all straight and fitting together. So I'm going to slather the whole thing with surface bonding concrete. Still wavering on the dye color, though - I had initially thought of going with a light terra cotta but I'm second guessing myself, maybe I'll play around in an image editor and see how it looks.

That looks good! I've got a similar project to finish. Built a bed years ago outside of my fenced-in veggie garden with an old metal frame and leftover compost. Decided to replace it this year with some retaining wall bricks. It was quite the project to level it since it's built into a hill. Liking the look of it now with a (hopefully deer-resistant) Japanese maple, blue juniper and holly. But I still have to glue down the bricks because I am sure my daughter will try and kill herself with them otherwise.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I threw this together in our driveway now that the snows sposed to be done, just a bunch of river rocks I…uh….borrowed

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

mischief posted:

Eh, even in the most organic approach there is a time and place for tearing poo poo up every now and again.

It helps to have a heavy counter rotating tiller when you need one.

I'm tearing poo poo up to put up a poly tunnel greenhouse because I didn't know where I wanted to put it 6 months ago. Putting a tarp down over the winter would've been a much better idea :smithicide:

Edit: I don't have a tiller, I'm clearing a 10'x8' spot by hand with a mattock

Vicious Panda
Sep 16, 2023

Every year I seem to get aphids on my roses… and apparently it’s that time again. I got quite the little eco system going here

I’m thinking about just letting it happen and letting nature sort it out (in the past I bought lady bugs and also tried spraying with soapy garlic water). I figure I can support the local aphid killers by leaving them

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Do you have any bait plants in the surrounding area? I get aphids every year but they stay on the lamb’s quarter and other fobes in the yard. Granted, I don’t have roses but they do stay off my tomatoes because of the abundance of food plants in the area.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Neon Noodle posted:

Do you have any bait plants in the surrounding area? I get aphids every year but they stay on the lamb’s quarter and other fobes in the yard. Granted, I don’t have roses but they do stay off my tomatoes because of the abundance of food plants in the area.

Any ideas for bait plants for rhododendron lace bug? I have three infested bushes in the front yard but surprisingly the variegated one in the back yard is unaffected. Not sure why.

Vicious Panda
Sep 16, 2023

Neon Noodle posted:

Arg! I was planning on doing that sort of thing at the end of last year but completely forgot until you mentioned this... Story of my life. Actually, remembering and putting it off would be the correct story :classiclol:

I was going to add plants that encouraged anti aphid bugs but your idea of bait plants would be smarter since the aphids seem to come before the lady bugs and friends. I'll look into what would be good to add in the area that might help. I haven't planned my yard in any smart way, I just see plants I like and add plants (besides their sun needs). Last year I finally added tulips so I would have an early blooming plant and I was pretty proud of myself for that forethought.

As of right now, this rose bush seems to be the aphid bait, it's in an area that gets less light so i wonder if that is doing it, my other rose bush that usually gets infested is clear of pests. I'm pretty sure it's because the aphids can sense I like this one a lot more... I guess they like it a lot more too :gonk:

Thanks for the good idea!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Hmm, I'm worried I just hosed up my whole overseeding plans for spring.

Due to how wet it's been, I wasn't able to do the first cut until Mid-April, got the scarifying done after that, but I just put down some all-in-one feed/weed/moss killer because I read it was pointless to put seed down if you didn't get rid of any moss first (there's a fair bit around the edges and probably a bunch in the middle I'm just not seeing). From what I've just read though I need to wait 8 weeks until putting down new seed after using that which puts me right bang in the middle of June.

Is that always a bad time of the year to put new grass seed down even if I'm watering the lawn every day to help keep it hydrated?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes. It's unlikely to work.

You were in a situation where you needed to do this in parts anyway. And fall is a much better/more successful time for overseeding anyway. Follow the course, re-treat as appropriate for broadleaf weeds and moss through the summer. Dethatch and core aerate in the late summer and overseed then going into fall with a good high-octane start fertilizer like a 25-25-4-is like Scotts turf Bulider starter (can be found at big box stores and it currently the cheapest way to get nitrogen that I can find - just bought 160 lbs of it),

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Vicious Panda posted:

Every year I seem to get aphids on my roses… and apparently it’s that time again. I got quite the little eco system going here

I’m thinking about just letting it happen and letting nature sort it out (in the past I bought lady bugs and also tried spraying with soapy garlic water). I figure I can support the local aphid killers by leaving them

I'm reading the book Carrots Love Tomatoes and it says that planting coriander will repel aphids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicious Panda
Sep 16, 2023

Lacrosse posted:

I'm reading the book Carrots Love Tomatoes and it says that planting coriander will repel aphids

I’m going plant shopping tomorrow and I’ll take a look for coriander, that seems fun to try, thanks!

On that note, anyone have recommendations for a tomato plant for someone that doesn’t really like tomatoes but everyone is always talking about how amazing garden tomatoes are so… (I do like them in BLTs)
I bought beefsteak last year and I guess they were fine but I want to try something else, something better, there are just so many varieties… so many