Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
See you in a year after this fight finishes after a 30 9-page chapters and breaks in between

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
He needs all that time to draw Rosario's hair.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Happy for George.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He's almost a decade older than Oda, I think the half-length chapters are understandable.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sindai posted:

He's almost a decade older than Oda, I think the half-length chapters are understandable.

Ever since the news of Toriyama dying I would hope all the old timers actually take a pause and maybe rethink their work load. poo poo it didn't even happen when Miura died.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
wrong thread

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Jiro posted:

Ever since the news of Toriyama dying I would hope all the old timers actually take a pause and maybe rethink their work load. poo poo it didn't even happen when Miura died.

Toriyama hadn''t been on a weekly schedule since 1994

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Ku ku ku...

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 2, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
another break next week

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

nice

GateOfD posted:

another break next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXs-sQCV_NM

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
He should wrap the series for his health's sake and focus on his boxing gym imo, or maybe so many notable recent mangaka deaths have me spooked

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Flesnolk posted:

He should wrap the series for his health's sake and focus on his boxing gym imo, or maybe so many notable recent mangaka deaths have me spooked

I mean even if that was his goal, there's still way too much to do for any sort of speedy wrap-up. Takamura still needs three more weight class title wins (and that's ignoring title defenses), Sendo has his title shot with Martinez, you still got Miyata who seems depressingly content to just stay as a regional featherweight champion than just accepting he can't fight Ippo and get a world title in a weight class that won't kill him, and then you have whatever plan there is for Ippo.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

grit

step
step

swish
swish
swish

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like when I caught up with this manga years ago there was no consistent schedule and it was like maybe a couple chapters every other month. And that was still pretty much fine.

I think regular break weeks are mostly probably a good thing.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

I mean even if that was his goal, there's still way too much to do for any sort of speedy wrap-up. Takamura still needs three more weight class title wins (and that's ignoring title defenses), Sendo has his title shot with Martinez, you still got Miyata who seems depressingly content to just stay as a regional featherweight champion than just accepting he can't fight Ippo and get a world title in a weight class that won't kill him, and then you have whatever plan there is for Ippo.

I have generally been of the opinion his goal is to keep the wheels spinning forever, there is no endgame

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Morikawa said something like a year ago to the effect that the ending is already planned out and that he wants to finish it while he still can.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

Morikawa said something like a year ago to the effect that the ending is already planned out and that he wants to finish it while he still can.

Wonder if he did a One Piece and the final page has been sitting in a drawer for decades under lock and key?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

I generally assume that people are lying. I mean, I'd keep the cash cow going forever

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this fight rocks so far good intro

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Just recently finished reading Katsu and there's something to be said about not depicting every fight and finishing up the "main rival" storyline without needing to take the MC into the world stage "on screen", it's kinda implied that they'll get there but the major character/emotional storylines are wrapped up by the end

Adachi sucks at fight scenes tho

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Just realized the absurdity of stating that adachi moves quicker than any other mangaka

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I think it's a fair point that it doesn't need to show every single thing that happens onscreen, especially for the side characters

If Morikawa suddenly decided one day that he really wants to rush an end to Ippo, he could easily just timeskip past a bunch of stuff and just briefly cover Sendou's and Takamura's fights during that period as a quick recap/flashback that mostly just focuses on the result.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

Just recently finished reading Katsu and there's something to be said about not depicting every fight and finishing up the "main rival" storyline without needing to take the MC into the world stage "on screen", it's kinda implied that they'll get there but the major character/emotional storylines are wrapped up by the end

Adachi sucks at fight scenes tho

I remember reading some of Katsu's boxing scenes not even knowing who was winning until they took off the headgear. Very solid manga though, doesn't dawdle in the melodrama nearly as much as some of Adachi's other stuff.

Also Katsu was my introduction to Adachi, which I picked up because I had just been reading Ippo and wanted to read another boxing manga and that was pretty much the only option. Definitely scratched the itch because it's one of the handful of manga that I've re-read multiple times over the years.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 5, 2024

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vizuyos posted:

I think it's a fair point that it doesn't need to show every single thing that happens onscreen, especially for the side characters

If Morikawa suddenly decided one day that he really wants to rush an end to Ippo, he could easily just timeskip past a bunch of stuff and just briefly cover Sendou's and Takamura's fights during that period as a quick recap/flashback that mostly just focuses on the result.

imagining all of this "will or won't ippo return the ring" buildup ending with a time jump to ippo becoming world champ that skips his returning fight/miyata fight and then just ends the manga, and loling angrily

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Final chapter is a time skip with retired Ippo heading off into the rising sun on the family boat with kumi shoreside holding his son waving him off, and a pan shot over articles about his epic fight with Martinez that we never got to see, and the article doesn't detail who won. Then a news bulletin on tv warns about a sudden impending storm

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kunabomber posted:

Final chapter is a time skip with retired Ippo heading off into the rising sun on the family boat with kumi shoreside holding his son waving him off, and a pan shot over articles about his epic fight with Martinez that we never got to see, and the article doesn't detail who won. Then a news bulletin on tv warns about a sudden impending storm

I lol'd at the last sentence of this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I liked how this chapter kept focusing in on the things Ippo brought up during his sparring 'help' session, the opening combos were very similar and he seemed to know what to expect, and there was continued focus on the foot and you'll notice he keeps making sure Rosario isn't stepping over his front foot to get in as that's what Ippo did to open him up.