Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Pretty happy with how the edits turned out for Makari.

It's very hard to turn off my internal voice of "turn everything Black and White" that I have when I look at every single photo I've taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

These two are killer

idle (2 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (1 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (5 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (6 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (4 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (8 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (9 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (10 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (7 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (11 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

I should do more B&W, even though it's never part of deliverables for me. These photos were just licensed for an event in Korea as part of the ticket designs with B&W options, which is pretty cool. I'm going to try to get a set of them as a keepsake, as this is one of my favorite groups.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Man, just wearing white/lighter colours alone as a performer helps make that pop so much - my preferred music is all dudes wearing black. 👍👍 cool, thanks, your torso melds into the background thanks guys.

Those are great photos - You never deliver any B&W? Wild. I'd imagine they'd want some B&W...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

For rock and singer songwriter stuff I always did since it fits those shows. It gets around all of the main issues we face with lighting and color casts while also making the photo more about the moment and emotion. More broadly speaking I’ve always said if I returned to weddings full time it would be under a fine art B&W only branding (with film and digital).

Three of my fav shots last year were B&W phone shots from a pit after I was done shooting

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm trying to get back into this, after a bit of a rough patch I'm going out to more local shows. So many talented friends. I wish I'd never sold my 24-70mm f/4; I only bring my two primes to shows and switching between them so often is tough and anxiety-inducing. I also need to work more on a style before I start pushing for more paid gigs - I don't think my photos are bad per se, but they are bland and unoriginal.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I really like your Black and White work - I don't know about bland and unoriginal at all. If that's your output right out the gate, you're already leaps ahead of a lot of folks I've seen starting out (including myself)

I finished up my edits for Hail the Sun and Intervals. Dunno how I feel about the overall output from the evening - it's a weird venue to shoot (Danforth Music Hall), especially a 1400 cap venue. Front lights are kind of dogshit and performers can absolutely go missing at the front of the stage.

Hail The Sun:

Intervals:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This rules. The amber glasses really make it and pop well in that green spotlight.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm trying to get back into this, after a bit of a rough patch I'm going out to more local shows. So many talented friends. I wish I'd never sold my 24-70mm f/4; I only bring my two primes to shows and switching between them so often is tough and anxiety-inducing. I also need to work more on a style before I start pushing for more paid gigs - I don't think my photos are bad per se, but they are bland and unoriginal.

you would shoot (what appear to be) house shows at f/4? i know sensors are much better nowadays but drat. granted i shot half of my last show at f/8 (because lol manual focus 110mm) but that was with pro lighting

switching primes just takes practice and a good bag you can wear on your front

ed: the other fun bit is you're gonna have a lot of "oh, this is not the focal length i wanted for shot x" that forces you to find some other composition in whatever focal length you currently have attached, which is good for finding shots you wouldn't have otherwise

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 15, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I went full dweeb mode and use a Think Tank belt system and I have never been more comfortable. I put two of the Lens Changer 50 pouches on a nice leather belt and I use them as a holster for the cameras. I still have a strap on one camera and a leash on the other attached to the other's strap incase anything were to fall out or drop, but all the weight is on my waist instead of my neck/shoulders and it's way more comfortable. The slide in and out of the pouches without looking down, are well padded instead of dangling like my holster style, and can slide around front or back as needed when moving around the venue or kneeling. I usually go with the 24-70 on one body and 70-200 on the other for general coverage, but I have another bag I can put on my belt for my 50 1.2 and 16 2.8. Batteries and other stuff fit in the pouches too, and the built in rain covers come over the top to fully enclose the bodies too in case of rain or just during transit if I don't want the cameras visible. Even if I'm just shooting one body and lens I'll wear one pouch just to keep all weight off my shoulders when not shooting. Will never go back.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some more color corrections that might be helpful

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ Wow that's remarkable. What are you shooting on? The way you correct out red light is very impressive, I was always under the impression that heavy red lights in venues looked ugly and were generally unsalvageable which is why a lot of my shots are in B&W. I'll take a closer look at your settings when I'm in front of a larger screen.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

you would shoot (what appear to be) house shows at f/4? i know sensors are much better nowadays but drat. granted i shot half of my last show at f/8 (because lol manual focus 110mm) but that was with pro lighting

switching primes just takes practice and a good bag you can wear on your front

ed: the other fun bit is you're gonna have a lot of "oh, this is not the focal length i wanted for shot x" that forces you to find some other composition in whatever focal length you currently have attached, which is good for finding shots you wouldn't have otherwise

Yeah, I mean I rarely go higher than f/2.4 in dark venues like that unless I have on my flash, which is a whole other level of anxiety about blinding people. Switching primes is easy, but yeah I always worry that some speck of dust or sweat or booze is going to fly into my sensor right when it's exposed. Can you recommend a tiny little front pack I can fit one or two lenses in? I could wear my Peak Design pack but it's enormous. (Also, 'peak design' my rear end, I'm not hard on my gear but that bag is falling apart; the shoulder strap routinely comes undone causing it to almost fall)

Thanks for the kind words y'all, we're our own worst critics for sure but it's good to hear my work isn't as bland as I thought. I'm still chasing some more semblance of a 'style'. When I used to shoot this queer dance party at a local bar, I'd desaturate the outdoor shots of friends smoking and pull some specific colours from them to really contrast the high vibrancy indoors.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mister Speaker posted:

Can you recommend a tiny little front pack I can fit one or two lenses in? I could wear my Peak Design pack but it's enormous. (Also, 'peak design' my rear end, I'm not hard on my gear but that bag is falling apart; the shoulder strap routinely comes undone causing it to almost fall)

https://tenba.com/tenba-solstice-7l-sling-bag-black/ rotates around to become a little platform with the compartments facing up. i fit 4 (admittedly small, it'd be much harder to fit the chunky sigma art lenses in it) lenses and the body in it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

^ Wow that's remarkable. What are you shooting on? The way you correct out red light is very impressive, I was always under the impression that heavy red lights in venues looked ugly and were generally unsalvageable which is why a lot of my shots are in B&W. I'll take a closer look at your settings when I'm in front of a larger screen.

Canon r6/r7, but if your exposure is good (no peaked highlights) then most any RAW files can pull the color back. Here's another I posted recently with my most common fix for that ugly pink/purple

quote:

Can you recommend a tiny little front pack I can fit one or two lenses in? I could wear my Peak Design pack but it's enormous. (Also, 'peak design' my rear end, I'm not hard on my gear but that bag is falling apart; the shoulder strap routinely comes undone causing it to almost fall)

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/hubba-hubba-hiney-v3-0

Can't beat this for $45. Can probably fit a mirrorless body in there with 2 lenses even. My old original Peak Design messenger had that same strap failure and while they did honor the warranty and send me a brand new bag, the version 2 sucks rear end and holds way less gear so I'm probably just going to sell it off.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 16, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
edit: Bottom Liner with the quickdraw. I was responding to a post above yours. That little pack looks nice. I've also been thinking about getting some of Hazard4's MOLLE lens pouches and wearing those on a belt. I'm a sucker for tacticlol poo poo.

Oh thanks, I was thinking of something right small though. Realistically it only has to hold two, maybe three lenses - unless I come into some crazy money and can afford some of the new Z low-aperture zooms, realistically I only see myself carrying my 50mm and 20mm primes to shows, maybe also the fisheye which is really small.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 16, 2024

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

For really small shows in the spring/summer where I don't have to worry about jackets or sweaters or anything I stroll up with a Carhatt Sling.

It fits my D500 w/ grip, and my 35mm and 24-70mm without issue. When shooting/navigating the crowd, just slip it under your arm and weave through people without issue.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

more properly edited time. i need to cull some close duplicates out of the album but im trying to force myself out of the habit of never bothering to publish stuff because im trying to do further post and selection

main takeaway aside from probably not being able to use manual focus throughout (a shame, those lenses are much more compact, and most of my AF lenses don't have the much nicer on-lens aperture control) is that i definitely need to set the auto ISO limiter. i had forgotten how metering is a crapshoot under colored spots, and doubly so with lack of spot metering (i guess the body will still use the spot under the AF point cursor for manual lenses, but i wasn't setting it most of the time). sony doesn't have the nigh-unusable chroma noise above 1600 like my old canon, but it's still eating more detail than i would like at 12800 when 6400 or 3200 would have been more than enough to push in post

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Is he wearing some bright rear end lights or did you catch that god angle? Either way its cool as hell

babymetal (1 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (2 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

crowd (1 of 1) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (4 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (3 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (5 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (6 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (7 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (8 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

More Babymetal and their western Kami Band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Is he wearing some bright rear end lights or did you catch that god angle? Either way its cool as hell

very much lights built into the glasses

ed: forgot the guy next to me got video lol

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 17, 2024