Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

doingitwrong posted:

We are moving because our landlord is selling the house. Our upstairs neighbor (who is a friend) is buying the house. On Friday, her realtor approached us and said they needed us to sign paperwork terminating our lease (they’d give us a new lease with identical terms to the end of June when our current lease ends) because our below market rent was impacting her lender’s analysis so the lender needed our current lease to officially be gone so they could evaluate on market rent not actual rent. This was delivered in a long wordy email that admitted that technically they couldn’t ask us about this.

We asked the realtor to send us what she actually wanted signed. Saturday, she sent over a perfectly standard tenant’s estoppel that confirmed the dates and terms of our current lease, security deposit etc. We pointed out that this didn’t seem to do what she said it would do. She said she wanted to go ahead with signing it. We spent a bunch of time reviewing the tenancy laws. We asked around and though everyone we spoke with (our closing attorney for our own deal and our realtor) agreed that this made no sense, there was no harm in signing confirmation of our current lease terms. Sunday, we said we’d be willing to sign the estoppel.

Monday, the realtor sent us a Dotloop version of the estoppel with the lease termination date altered from June 30 to April 22 (the closing date) saying that our landlord had already signed. We were like “loving, no.” Then we spoke to our closing attorney who was like, “absolutely not,” and “don’t talk to her anymore,” and “estoppels can’t do this,” and “why didn’t she do these other much simpler things?” Then we spoke to our landlord’s realtor and his closing attorney wife who (after some confusion) told us that the estoppel that the buying realtor had sent them had the correct June 30 date. They were like, “absolutely not,” and “don’t talk to her anymore,” and “why didn’t she do these other much simpler things?”

So I guess now the sellers are going to try to salvage the deal. We have no idea what she is telling our neighbor/friend and every step of this has been unnecessarily shifty and uncomfortable.

If I'm reading this correctly, the landlord's realtor wants you to sign a document vacating much earlier (April 22) than what was originally agreed to (June 30)? That's impressively terrible especially given your back and forth with the landlord's realtor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

BonoMan posted:

today I learned the word "estoppel"

::puffing pipe as I flick through the days mail::

Eh heh yes I see I another perfectly routine estoppel for my review, very common indeed.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a loan "pre-approval" letter from a broker that's basically:

I, the underwriter, have looked at a bunch of papers and will def give PRADA SLUT :10bux: after some downpayments and whatever

But nowhere in here does it list any fees, rate, or the like. Basically, not a standard form. Note that I didn't get a credit pull or anything, just a "let's look at some papers and figure out an amount you can shop with". I'm trying to compare my rate and Section A costs, but the doc lists none of them.

Do I need a property "picked out" to get a standard loan estimate I can compare, or can I ask for an arbitrary estimate just to figure out what my rate and fees will look like?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A pre-approval rarely counts for poo poo, it's a ballpark of what you can afford to borrow that you can submit with your offers and that's it. Your lender probably won't provide a HUD-1 at this stage but they should be able to give you a ballpark idea of the costs, and if they don't then you should go somewhere else.

You should be talking to several lenders so that you can dump paperwork on all of them once you get an offer accepted, and then you compare the HUD-1 values and pick whoever's best.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Part of the reason lenders don't want to give you a proper loan doc at this point is becuase the loan terms they offer change daily. Sometimes twice daily. That's not just the rate, which is usually a bit more stable than that, but the fees and credits and whatnot. When you are acutally ready to buy a specific house, you'll be shopping for a rate (hard pulls) from multiple lenders, none of which needs to be the one that gave you pre-approval, and the one you pick you will need to lock in that rate for a specified period, often 30 days. That lock is a contract on their part and they do not want to offer you that contract today, potentially weeks before you're ready to buy. In fact you cannot reasonably estimate exactly what the fees on your loan will be, because any HUD-1 you got today would be likely to be off by as much as multiple thousands of dollars either direction by the time you actually got a real quote in a month or whatever.

This sucks of course. And ok actually you can probably get to some guesstimate back of the envelope range depending on your price you're shopping at and your credit score. Plus or minus a couple thousand probably. More than that if you're shopping for like a 900k house. Probably within 1k or so if you're shopping for an 80k house.

One option that might help if the closing costs are really critical to you is to get a mortgage broker. The broker is paid by the lenders, not you, so they're effectively free; when you're ready to get a quote they get quotes from 20 or 30 lenders (but, typically, their "preferred" lenders) and this gets you the best or close to the best rate + terms + costs you could get. That broker can also give you a rough estimate of what people with similar budget and credit as you are seeing on their terms today. But not contractually.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mortgage brokers are pretty rad

Way better than going through a bank, often, probably

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
What are some mortgage brokers I should look at as a US buyer?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

We found a local one near us and they were extremely valuable.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Reminder to go to OptOutPrescreen as soon as you are even thinking about applying for a purchase loan.

Or don't if you love getting dozens of unsolicited phone calls.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shifty Pony posted:

Reminder to go to OptOutPrescreen as soon as you are even thinking about applying for a purchase loan.

Or don't if you love getting dozens of unsolicited phone calls.

I've said it before in this thread, but it is very much worth getting a $50 prepaid cell phone from Walmart or wherever and using it for all of your loan needs. It's a drop in the bucket compared to even closing costs and very, very much worth it to save your sanity.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've said it before in this thread, but it is very much worth getting a $50 prepaid cell phone from Walmart or wherever and using it for all of your loan needs. It's a drop in the bucket compared to even closing costs and very, very much worth it to save your sanity.

You can set up a secondary Google voice number on your same phone for free and then just stop using it when you want.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can set up a secondary Google voice number on your same phone for free and then just stop using it when you want.

I had funky poo poo go on with google voice a while ago (like ten years ago - maybe they fixed it in the mean time) that made me not trust it for calls I actually need to be sure I get. Crap like calls silently not forwarding and then not getting the notification of the missed call for hours.

Again, maybe they've fixed it since then. I dunno. It was just a bad experience when I was doing some job applications and I can't really trust them with things that I 100% need to know I'm getting any more.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The thing about opt out prescreen is that it will also prevent any banks you already have relationships with from being notified. They already know your actual number.

It also prevents the credit reporting agencies from making extra money off of you.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cyrano4747 posted:

I had funky poo poo go on with google voice a while ago (like ten years ago - maybe they fixed it in the mean time) that made me not trust it for calls I actually need to be sure I get. Crap like calls silently not forwarding and then not getting the notification of the missed call for hours.

Again, maybe they've fixed it since then. I dunno. It was just a bad experience when I was doing some job applications and I can't really trust them with things that I 100% need to know I'm getting any more.

This has been fixed, haven't run into this issue before, though I'm not a daily user.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So, if I want to compare rates/costs from different lenders, when do I ask for the "real" loan document detailing such? When I'm putting down an offer? The broker told me that the pre-approval is valid enough to put down an offer (at which point they'll run credit and the like to get "real" numbers).

Right now I have all my paperwork together but I've only talked to one local broker, whom I have the pre-approval letter. I was going to hit my bank to get a comparison but I don't know the timing.

At this point, should I just call my broker and ask them to ballpark me their rates and fees, or does it not matter until I place an offer? Should I shop offers now or wait until I have a place picked out and an offer down (from waving around the brokers pre-approval letter)?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The sequence is:

1. Get pre-approval
2. Submit offer
3. Offer is accepted, with a fixed closing date (typically 30 days in the future, to give time for the below steps to be carried out)
4. Go get actual loan terms
5. Go to other lenders to get competing loan terms
6. Pick a loan and go with it

Your real estate agent should be familiar with all of this and can tell you when to do what.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Note that 4 and 5 can be done at the same time. The way we did it was

1) have offer accepted
2) go to basically every loan company we could find and apply
3) throw out the obviously poo poo ones or anyone who just bugged us for some reason, then we took the best offer and sent it to the others basically saying "here's what we've got from your competitor, can you do better?"
4) take the better counter offers, get the best one of those, repeat step 3. Dump anyone who says they can't beat it.
5) rinse and repeat until we finally get everyone saying "yeah we can't beat that." Go with the winter.

It's loan thunderdome and pretty much the only time in this process you will have a ton of leverage and control.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also whoever your loan is with will very probably sell it to another bank within like a month, so don't pick a worse rate/terms on the basis that you preferred that bank for any particular reason.

And see the thread title: the banks' staff in charge of actually processing and delivering to you your loan will be stupid. There's no away around that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

And see the thread title: the banks' staff in charge of actually processing and delivering to you your loan will be stupid. There's no away around that.

Not just “stupid.” We’re not talking about normal every day laziness or incompetence. This process will redefine the meaning of stupid for you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hey, goon whose escrow officer dropped off the planet the day before closing, how are you doing? Was it solved?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
There is one person who actually matters in the loan-making process: the underwriter. They live under a steel desk in a lightless subbasement of a fifty-story office building, have crippling OCD about financial documentation, can only be spoken to through five levels of handlers, and wield absolute authority over your loan. Everybody else is an empty suit.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e
We're doing the stereotypical Bay Area -> Austin thing (mostly to be closer to family though and have an indefinite timeline, so that's nice). I never thought I'd be wistful for the meat grinder that is Bay Area real estate, but the neighborhood we're primarily looking at is firmly in the "hot enough that A tier properties get a couple of offers" level and it's just the worst of all possible worlds: you have the short timeline of a multiple offer scenario, but none of the agents are actually good at dealing with multiple offers and Austin agents have extremely weird and, as far as I can tell, incorrect, ideas of the ethics of sharing information in multiple offer situations. Adding on to that, pre-inspections/waiving inspections isn't really a thing, leading to us offering on three houses and so far:
1) List clearly under market. Offered 110% of list price - informed that we got solidly beat by another offer and we said we were happy to be backup offer.

When it went sold in MLS, it was for 85% of our asking price - under list (both parties were traditional financing). Everybody involved shrugged and said the inspection must have revealed something bad, which like - it was a house from the 70's that had basically been untouched. No poo poo?

2) List price was $X, had been on market for 2.5 months. We offered 90% of X. Informed that another offer came in shortly after (presumably listing agent telling everybody else they had an offer, which...fair) at slightly higher. Learned later that seller said no to slightly higher offer, they countered at list. Then seller said no to _that_ offer and pulled the house to rent it.

3) List price was $X, we offered $X basically immediately. They said they got another offer and did we want to raise but with no information. We raised 2% because shruggie. Announced that they were taking the other offer that was 105% of list.

Really leaves me tapping the thread title.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Austin prices were in the stratosphere and climbing a year and a half ago and from what I gather sellers are still being stupid about things.

What neighborhood are you looking at?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

rjmccall posted:

There is one person who actually matters in the loan-making process: the underwriter. They live under a steel desk in a lightless subbasement of a fifty-story office building, have crippling OCD about financial documentation, can only be spoken to through five levels of handlers, and wield absolute authority over your loan. Everybody else is an empty suit.

This should go in the OP

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

Shifty Pony posted:

Austin prices were in the stratosphere and climbing a year and a half ago and from what I gather sellers are still being stupid about things.

What neighborhood are you looking at?

It's settled down some, but yeah - still a lot higher than pre-2021. Mostly NW Hills with an outside chance of West Lake Hills-ish.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
On the subject of mortgage brokers, has anyone here used https://www.ownup.com as a mortgage broker? For the most part what I have found online seems to be generally positive experiences, and they operate in the state that I'm looking to purchase in.

I have already gone through the OptOutPrescreen.com process.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Look for guaranteed rate brokers in your area, then filter for ones that made Presidents club, which means they closed N loans last year, where N is a pretty high number

If you're in California I have a guy I can recommend

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So, to confirm, I place an offer with whatever pre-approval. Once the seller accepts, I've got ~30 days to pony up the real cash, and it doesn't matter where I get it?

e.g., I can walk into a bank, say I have an offer that was accepted, and I want them to run my info to see what rate/etc I would get. And I do that a bunch at a bunch of places. And then I do wheeling and dealing until I get one I like and then the seller gets their money from somewhere

Am I missing anything here?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah you can walk in to the bank and rob it* and then deliver the cash to escrow if you feel like it. If you and the seller agree to a dozen goats and a bride** satisfies the contract then it's all good

Our first house we had a pre approval from one guy that said we had 20% down*** and approval for the offer price, he hosed us on the rate and closing fees, so we dumped him and went with the guy at guaranteed rate who undercut him by like a full 1%apr

As long as the full amount hits escrow on the closing date it's all good

*Don't do this
**Definitely don't do this
***We did not have anywhere close to 20% down, lol. California has since closed this loophole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

So, to confirm, I place an offer with whatever pre-approval. Once the seller accepts, I've got ~30 days to pony up the real cash, and it doesn't matter where I get it?

e.g., I can walk into a bank, say I have an offer that was accepted, and I want them to run my info to see what rate/etc I would get. And I do that a bunch at a bunch of places. And then I do wheeling and dealing until I get one I like and then the seller gets their money from somewhere

Am I missing anything here?

basically yes. read this, I just edited it into the OP
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/owning-a-home/ Buying a house: Tools and resources for homebuyers

edit: and read this https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-cfpb/what-information-do-i-have-to-provide-a-lender-in-order-to-receive-a-loan-estimate-en-1987/

and this https://www.consumerfinance.gov/owning-a-home/loan-estimate/ Loan Estimate Explainer

pmchem fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 19, 2024