Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
holy lol. I tried listening to it, but the 'eat your vegetables' serious episodes are never very good. Max seemed terrified from the outset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I haven’t listened to football podcasts in a while, but some of the FW specials I think were pretty good?

That one with Troy Townsend about Kick It Out and his son as well was pretty heavy. I vaguely remember them doing a good episode about Qatar’s issue before the World Cup, and I think they’ve done good ones about gambling too?

Not defending them or anything as I haven’t listened to the episode that started this discussion,m, but yeah I thought their specials were quite good at one point.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Simiain posted:

holy lol. I tried listening to it, but the 'eat your vegetables' serious episodes are never very good. Max seemed terrified from the outset.

Do they try to explain why they felt it necessary to make an episode on that topic in the first place?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

webmeister posted:

I haven’t listened to football podcasts in a while, but some of the FW specials I think were pretty good?

That one with Troy Townsend about Kick It Out and his son as well was pretty heavy. I vaguely remember them doing a good episode about Qatar’s issue before the World Cup, and I think they’ve done good ones about gambling too?

Not defending them or anything as I haven’t listened to the episode that started this discussion,m, but yeah I thought their specials were quite good at one point.

I haven't listened either, so can't comment on this particular special, but in general while some of them have been good, I've always felt there was a massive element of them preaching to the choir. Perhaps I'm being naive, but I would imagine on racism for example, the majority of people listening to a Guardian podcast would already align with what they're saying and I don't think an episode of a football podcast is going to change the mind of anyone who doesn't. That's not to say they shouldn't be doing the specials or anything, but I really wonder what impact they have on most people listening.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The value in the Football Weekly specials is twofold.

• Yanking the FW podcast itself into having a more diverse set of regular panelists (many who were voices on the racism/sexism/etc eps have become regulars, while we still don’t lack for white dudes most times, so a good change).

• Pushing the discourse in general towards certain topics, and for this specifically I’m thinking about the Qatar 2022 episodes and the recent follow-up.

You’re right, the audience is probably nodding along that whatever topic needs to be improved, but there’s still value.

The Gaza/Israel episode was…I’d say generally good, if only because I don’t hear a ton about football from that part of the world, but man. They had somebody on there parroting Israel’s talking points. That went as described. Not really the best part of the chat. I wonder how they handle the feedback.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Oooof you guys weren’t kidding. Uri Levy doing the whole ‘I’m friends to all, arab and Israeli etc’ and then going full IDF talking points and deflections. Bizarre listen

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm watching that show that charlie from FCs brother is a writer on "criminal record". Pretty good if you are into that sort of thing.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/FootballCliches/status/1767853839938408450/photo/1

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I’d have paid to have them read nothing but Keysie’s blog posts for two hours

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Jon Champion seems like a really nice bloke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I heard an interview on the radio with alex garland and he sounds exactly like barnay ronay. :classiclol: