Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Charliegrs posted:

I am also working on a F4U Corsair. I have been building car and tank kits for a while but this is my first plane. After painting it I hit with a gloss coat so I can do the decaling, but my question is what kind of clear should I put over it after that? Right now it kind of looks "correct" with the gloss coat so maybe I should use gloss? Or would semi gloss look more realistic? I have matte too but I feel like that might not look right. The real planes seem to have a little bit of shine.

Which kit are you building? I'm building Tamiya Vought F4U-1D Corsair 1:48

The painting instructions say:

quote:

Fighters of US Navy and Marine Corps were painted in glossy sea blue from Mar. 1944 ... recommended to use AS-8

I was planning on going with Tamiya sea blue (XF-17) and finish with a glossy clear coat. I know nothing about planes though, so that might not be accurate. Some of the finished models I've seen on reddit have a matt or satin finish which don't seem quite right based on pics I've seen. So Idk...

Did you model yours with the wings folded? I can't quite make up my mind if I want the wings folded or not. Seems like it could be a pain in the rear end and my modeling skills are basically zilch at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

netizen posted:

Which kit are you building? I'm building Tamiya Vought F4U-1D Corsair 1:48

The painting instructions say:

I was planning on going with Tamiya sea blue (XF-17) and finish with a glossy clear coat. I know nothing about planes though, so that might not be accurate. Some of the finished models I've seen on reddit have a matt or satin finish which don't seem quite right based on pics I've seen. So Idk...

Did you model yours with the wings folded? I can't quite make up my mind if I want the wings folded or not. Seems like it could be a pain in the rear end and my modeling skills are basically zilch at this point.

I'm working on the 1/72 Tamiya F4U. It doesn't have folding wings but if it did I would definitely do unfolded. Folded would probably be cool for an aircraft carrier diorama. Id upload some pics but the imgur uploader isn't cooperating with me right now but I'm going with a pretty worn look, like the ones that were land based on Pacific islands. Apparently that lime green color in the cockpit is a primer and the whole plane is painted with it so I did some chipping effects with that color as well as some exposed metal. Again, I wish I could post pics.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Thanks to the goon who several pages ago recommended I build a Tamiya Fletcher as my first 1/350 ship. I have finished the build, not just have to add paint. I'll probably get out the airbrush next week. In the meantime, time to figure out which ship to build next!

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Charliegrs posted:

Apparently that lime green color in the cockpit is a primer and the whole plane is painted with it so I did some chipping effects with that color as well as some exposed metal.

Oh that's interesting about the green primer, I bet that looks pretty cool. Post some pics if you ever get imgur working, I'd love to see it. I'll probably go with the factory fresh look as I don't know much about weathering yet. I'll share some pics if I ever get it finished and don't screw it up.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

netizen posted:

I wonder if this X-21 stuff might be kind of useful if it works well. I can just purchase gloss paints and convert them to different sheens instead of having to buy gloss, semi-gloss, flat variants of the same color.

Wasn't there a paint line that did this? The colors were all glossy, and you then hit it with the appropriate clear to get the finish you wanted.

I want to say Xtracolor, but I could be wrong. I remember hearing about it in the 90s and some people swearing by it, others swearing at it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Charliegrs posted:

I'm working on the 1/72 Tamiya F4U. It doesn't have folding wings but if it did I would definitely do unfolded. Folded would probably be cool for an aircraft carrier diorama. Id upload some pics but the imgur uploader isn't cooperating with me right now but I'm going with a pretty worn look, like the ones that were land based on Pacific islands. Apparently that lime green color in the cockpit is a primer and the whole plane is painted with it so I did some chipping effects with that color as well as some exposed metal. Again, I wish I could post pics.

I know this is the most stereotypical modeler response possible, but your paint question is going to have a different answer based on what time period your subject is from.

The really late- and post-war schemes in navy blue were glossy as hell. The earlier powder blue and three-color schemes were comparatively pretty matte. As you noted, the primer is all over, and the land-based planes got the poo poo chipped out of them all the time between sea air and debris. If you wanted to do some fancy texture work, you could keep the primer matte and mix a little gloss into the paint so you get hue and texture contrast with your chipping. They'll have a lot of sun bleaching on the upper surfaces, too, which gives you the chance to do some cool color mottling.

The cool bit is nobody's going to nab you for model crimes, so if you like a particular sheen to your paint, go for it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Thanks to the goon who several pages ago recommended I build a Tamiya Fletcher as my first 1/350 ship. I have finished the build, not just have to add paint. I'll probably get out the airbrush next week. In the meantime, time to figure out which ship to build next!

looks great. one thing i love about the tamiya kit is that they put the rubber gimmicks they use to make tank tracks rotate freely into the fletcher's turrets so you can spin them around. the trumpeter kit has you glue them in place

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Charliegrs posted:

The imgur upload feature in Awful has been completely broken for a while now due to changes on imgur's end.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Raskolnikov38 posted:

looks great. one thing i love about the tamiya kit is that they put the rubber gimmicks they use to make tank tracks rotate freely into the fletcher's turrets so you can spin them around. the trumpeter kit has you glue them in place

Thanks. Yeah the turrets spin but some of them are pretty loose so I may just glue them if they give issue when painting. Speaking of painting, do most of you guys just build everything and then paint, at least with military vehicles? I feel like when I'm doing cars/trucks I try and paint as I go along but recently it's caused issues because mounting/gluing painted pieces can create some really nasty issues when it's time for final assembly. Painting the destroyer all at once is gonna be the first time I've tried painting everything after it's built. Will be the same with my 1/700 ships.

Also, what is the recommended photo uploading service for SA these days to where it's easy to do it via phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
With ships, I usually paint by major subassembly.