Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Hey I wanted to check here as well, has anyone read Andromeda's Fall ? I'm reading it now and I'm wondering if it's worth carrying on with, I'm not really buying the universe it's set in and seems a bit silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

orange sky posted:

Also, please do, don't leave this for later or anything.

I love the Culture, I try to get people to read it all the time (when they're into sci-fi). I love it when someone gets into it.

Just wanted to pull this post out from a few months back because I finished reading The Player of Games and loved it - I just finished ordering the 8 culture novels I don't already have (used, total of $48 including shipping, stoked). Thanks for the recommendation.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Just finishing the last book I can find from Neil Asher. While there were a few wobbly bits I generally found them all very good, the near future politics elements in the Owner trilogy was also quite captivating. This is especially since I'm a brit, so I saw Serene Galahad as Theresa May in her early 30's.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

General Battuta posted:

I agree with your opinions on Expanse 3/4 but what the gently caress those were nearly the best episodes of BSG man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw

I tried going back to childhood favorite Michael Stackpole's Battletech books and welp they do not hold up at all. Which is kind of a shame because the Battletech fiction comes close to 'nuanced multipolar space war without clear Good Guys or stupid tech differentials' but the novels, uh, well.

I've never read his Battletech books (isn't that where he got his start?) but his Star Wars books are kinda my guilty pleasure. Other than the original Timothy Zahn trilogy, they're the only ones I've kept around from all of the old Bantam era of Star Wars books.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm giving Margaret Weis' Star of the Guardians another shot. I remember trying to start it about 20 years ago and kept bogging down.

It's more or less exactly Star Wars, but I remember finding it compelling as a teenager. There's an extinct order of space knights with energy swords, one of them betrayed them and hunted them down, the old regime must be restored, so forth. If it has redeeming qualities let me know, there must've been some reason I read them!

fe: the bad guy's name is Warlord Sagan, a very intimidating image

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

General Battuta posted:

If it has redeeming qualities let me know, there must've been some reason I read them!
They were available?

That's pretty much why I read most of the stuff I read when I was a teenager. I had an endless appetite for trashy SF, and there was plenty of it on the shelves at Waldenbooks and B. Dalton. And the longer the series, the better.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Miss-Bomarc posted:

They were available?

That's pretty much why I read most of the stuff I read when I was a teenager. I had an endless appetite for trashy SF, and there was plenty of it on the shelves at Waldenbooks and B. Dalton. And the longer the series, the better.

Ho, yes, those were the days of walking into a bookstore (or library) and getting whatever looked most interesting from the shelves. Maybe occasionally even seeking out something because it had had a favourable review in a magazine, although that would be pushing it. Special orders? Maybe once in a blue moon, and it took forever.

Also I had an onion tied to my belt.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I remember going into used bookstores and just buying whole series of whatever looked interesting. I had so many lovely sci-fi books that they took over my apartment and I finally just donated them. Blast from the past guys.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
There was nothing so fun as seeing "Book 1 of the (x) series". I still remember when I stumbled over the Chung Kuo series, and holy gently caress there's like SIX of these and they are HUGE, I'm gonna be reading these for the whole SUMMER.

And on reading the Wikipedia page, I find that there were eight actual books published in the original group, and "[the author] announced that the publishing rights for the series had reverted back to the him and that he plans to self-publish the entire twenty book series starting in 2017."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Miss-Bomarc posted:

There was nothing so fun as seeing "Book 1 of the (x) series". I still remember when I stumbled over the Chung Kuo series, and holy gently caress there's like SIX of these and they are HUGE, I'm gonna be reading these for the whole SUMMER.

And on reading the Wikipedia page, I find that there were eight actual books published in the original group, and "[the author] announced that the publishing rights for the series had reverted back to the him and that he plans to self-publish the entire twenty book series starting in 2017."

Were they any good?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

Were they any good?
I've read the first two of the original Chung Kuo series way back when and thought they were really interesting. It wasn't all action plot all the time, so some people said it got a bit wordy, but I enjoyed the books. The only reason I stopped was that it was hard to find the rest of the series.

If you have enjoyed Game of Thrones at some point, you'd likely also have enjoyed Chung Kuo. I'm pretty shocked reading all the one star reviews on goodreads about this series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Drifter posted:

I've read the first two of the original Chung Kuo series way back when and thought they were really interesting. It wasn't all action plot all the time, so some people said it got a bit wordy, but I enjoyed the books. The only reason I stopped was that it was hard to find the rest of the series.

If you have enjoyed Game of Thrones at some point, you'd likely also have enjoyed Chung Kuo. I'm pretty shocked reading all the one star reviews on goodreads about this series.

Excellent. I own the first one because it was a dollar at a library, so I'll throw it into the "actually read this year maybe" pile instead of in the "when I get to it" pile.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Drifter posted:

It gets... weird as gently caress in the later books. I don't remember exactly how many I did read but let me say again: It gets weird. As. gently caress.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Edit: This isn't the Science Fiction thread! Damnit.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Groke posted:

It gets... weird as gently caress in the later books. I don't remember exactly how many I did read but let me say again: It gets weird. As. gently caress.

It was kind of weird right from the start, I thought. And I guess it's not really Space Opera per se, although it hit a lot of the same notes for me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson any good? It's on the Kindle deal of the day today, debating getting it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Yes. It's an excellent story about the wonders* of hard-sf interstellar colonisation.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I finished the Ember Wars series. Somebody, perhaps the author, described the series as Mass Effect meets Battlestar Galactica. Very apt description. Man, I loved them. They were quick reads, cliché but just enough to be familiar, and the characters were enjoyable. Plus each book was like 4 bucks or less on Amazon. I read one of the author's spinoff books, Iron Dragoons, and I liked it as well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Surprise ! James Doohan (yes, Scotty) has three SF novels to his credit.

Ok, S.M. Stirling did most of the work but that's his lot in life. I spotted enough Canadian references to think that Doohan had a lot to do with the content.

It's three book milsf series. The main character is a former fighter pilot who has been relegated to other duties after an injury. Now he's the Flight Engineer for the fast carrier Invincible, in charge of the deck crew and flight ops. Since he outranks both squadron commanders, he's sort of the CAG. Star Command is at war with the "Mollies", religious fanatics who control the anti hydrogen, without which the Commonwealth will collapse. Over three books he solves problems both engineering, personnel, and tactical.

I really enjoyed these books. They're not serious literature, but they aren't trying to be. What they are is good, clean space adventure fun. They're the anti-David Weber in a lot of ways; nobody is brooding and depressed, nobody is the best every and everyone loves them, the religious fanatics aren't rapey madmen like the Masadans or poorly characterized pastiches of real religions, they just think everyone else is evil and damned. There are no exposition dumps, and combat is more about having the better crew than the latest super weapon.

At $7 a pop on Kindle I'm really glad I picked these up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AP9XTG8/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o02_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Just suggestion for people who don't know, the LA library and I assume many other libraries have ebooks they lend out online, with a 30 day loan period and the option to check out like 30 books. I read obnoxiously fast and have a little to much free time so its been nice and easy for me to check out 1-2 books, read them and then return them in a day or so. Saves money too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm sure that the booming population of Louisiana book goons will appreciate being informed

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

coyo7e posted:

I'm sure that the booming population of Louisiana book goons will appreciate being informed

Check your library! They might have it and worst case scenario you can spoof an Los Angeles address. I used LA since it was relevant to me but others might have it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
spoiler alert: even backwards Louisiana libraries lend e books these days.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

coyo7e posted:

Hey gently caress you too buddy (LA book goon checking in).

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So I've gotten the sci-fi itch. Every time I get this itch I usually turn to David Weber; not so much the Honorverse stuff, as much as I prefer Empire from the Ashes and Empire of Man. The latter especially because the Mardukans are an extremely fun race to read about; probably one of my favorite 'alien' races truth be told. I really like the premise that the books tell about 'outnumbered but not outgunned' and such.

I did complete Safehold - wasn't all that thrilled with the ending, felt like he's tired of that series and wanted to rush an ending. Too much left unresolved.

I'm thinking of going back and re-reading some of the Starfire books but thought I'd stop in to see if anyone has good alternatives I could take a look at.

Additional question - anyone here like to head over to HFY on reddit? Some of those series are surprisingly good, but it's admittedly getting a little crowded so finding the gems among the rest can be a bit tough.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

khy posted:

So I've gotten the sci-fi itch. Every time I get this itch I usually turn to David Weber; not so much the Honorverse stuff, as much as I prefer Empire from the Ashes and Empire of Man. The latter especially because the Mardukans are an extremely fun race to read about; probably one of my favorite 'alien' races truth be told. I really like the premise that the books tell about 'outnumbered but not outgunned' and such.

I did complete Safehold - wasn't all that thrilled with the ending, felt like he's tired of that series and wanted to rush an ending. Too much left unresolved.

I'm thinking of going back and re-reading some of the Starfire books but thought I'd stop in to see if anyone has good alternatives I could take a look at.

Additional question - anyone here like to head over to HFY on reddit? Some of those series are surprisingly good, but it's admittedly getting a little crowded so finding the gems among the rest can be a bit tough.

It's not good, but https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Wings-6-Book/dp/B01CDYZT9W scratches a lot of my Weber itches. Then there's also the USS Penis America I posted about a few pages ago which also does similar Weber Things.

For actual 'good' space Opera, Lt. Leary series always needs more love.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Surprise ! James Doohan (yes, Scotty) has three SF novels to his credit.

Ok, S.M. Stirling did most of the work but that's his lot in life. I spotted enough Canadian references to think that Doohan had a lot to do with the content.

:words:

Stirling is also Canadian so that doesn't really narrow it down. :v:

I picked up the first one of these last week and you're right, it was a lot of fun! Your description of it as the "anti-Weber" is spot on. Definitely going to read the other two once I clear my current buffer.

Also, through the entire book I couldn't shake the feeling that if you changed some of the names and terminology -- and nothing else -- you'd have a really solid Wing Commander novel, to the point that I wonder if either Stirling or Doohan played Wing Commander 2 a bunch before writing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, through the entire book I couldn't shake the feeling that if you changed some of the names and terminology -- and nothing else -- you'd have a really solid Wing Commander novel, to the point that I wonder if either Stirling or Doohan played Wing Commander 2 a bunch before writing this.

I don't know about an actual Wing Commander vibe, but the series does leave me jazzed up to fly some space fighters.

• Locked thread