Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They keep not understanding digital data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

You don't want laser straight 1s and as close to perfect 0s to ensure a reduction in jitter and increased pleasure sense?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Your multi GHz CPU will stutter processing all of these horrible non-audio packets. Better let my $3 SoC handle it instead.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tater_salad posted:

You don't want laser straight 1s and as close to perfect 0s to ensure a reduction in jitter and increased pleasure sense?

The good zeroes have a slanted slash in them

The good ones have a flared base

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, good 0s are perfectly round and good 1s are perfectly straight sans serifs. Any other types of 1s and 0s and they can get stuck together messing up your digital data

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endless Mike posted:

No, good 0s are perfectly round and good 1s are perfectly straight sans serifs. Any other types of 1s and 0s and they can get stuck together messing up your digital data

If you cant make them stick together they just wibble wobble all over the place, they need to mate

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

This is why you buy from me and not those other guys, folks

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
It's not about the serif. It's about whether the 1s and 0s are raster or vector. Vector is truly lossless, whereas raster gets all blocky if you listen critically.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mederlock posted:

From the Information sheet for the Switch X

:eyepop: Holy moly that's some primo $Audiophile poo poo right there.

pro audio scene: lol, lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

This is why I print my music out as raw binary and manually enter it into my player.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

This is why I print my music out as raw binary and manually enter it into my player.

Can you trust the signal to your printer

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Not without my audiophile grade gold plated printer cables and ink you can’t

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Let me sell you this Pro Audio Printer USB Filter that will reduce any amount of Jitter and alignment issues your printer's data transfer may introduce, you want to ensure your 1's and 0's are entered on a pure basis to allow the best audio quality. PM me for more details, Goon discount 1,239 dollars, usually I sell this for 2,349.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Let me sell you this Pro Audio Printer USB Filter that will reduce any amount of Jitter and alignment issues your printer's data transfer may introduce, you want to ensure your 1's and 0's are entered on a pure basis to allow the best audio quality. PM me for more details, Goon discount 1,239 dollars, usually I sell this for 2,349.

This is suspiciously cheap, I don't believe it will improve the spaciousness of my printouts.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Not without my audiophile grade gold plated printer cables and ink you can’t

This sounds more promising.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

This is suspiciously cheap, I don't believe it will improve the spaciousness of my printouts.

This sounds more promising.

They’re $5000 if you want the nuts and bolts version but to really make them pop you want them with diamond in the jacket. That is charged by the inch

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mederlock posted:

From the Information sheet for the Switch X

:eyepop: Holy moly that's some primo $Audiophile poo poo right there.

drat nintendo is going hard next gen

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can I interest you in the limited run ones with goldlike exterior for 4832.95 (that's the goon discount)
lemme just find my gold paint. and solder some caps/resistors to a ferrite core filter.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Combat Pretzel posted:

digital computers are very bad at being digital, actually

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://youtu.be/zeHxHaqtKOg

PSaudio, infamous audio snake oil charlatans and makers of insanely overpriced crappy audio gear, carefully explains how network audio streamers degrade your valuable digital music in a world where 100gbps ethernet over 40km links on <$1 per meter fiber exist

of course unless you keep buying their stuff

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Pay the cat poo poo for its resonant frequency imo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Palladium posted:

PSaudio, infamous audio snake oil charlatans and makers of insanely overpriced crappy audio gear, carefully explains how network audio streamers degrade your valuable digital music in a world where 100gbps ethernet over 40km links on <$1 per meter fiber exist

paul smith is a master at spinning horseshit and making it seem reasonable and scientific, it’s really quite amazing to watch him work

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
You just said that and now I'm thinking of trying ChatGPT to see if it can write some great audiophile nonsense. Not understanding anything about the topic probably makes it perfect for the task.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I just bought a 2m toslink cable but I'm worried that I'll be losing soundstage because I didn't buy the gold plated model, there's one that cost 80x as much on Amazon should I buy It?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I just bought a 2m toslink cable but I'm worried that I'll be losing soundstage because I didn't buy the gold plated model, there's one that cost 80x as much on Amazon should I buy It?

Yes please report back

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Palladium posted:

i always like that nobody ever explains why the cabling in your home is going to matter compared to the massive amounts of backbone transport between your house and the ISP, much of which is old as poo poo

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i always like that nobody ever explains why the cabling in your home is going to matter compared to the massive amounts of backbone transport between your house and the ISP, much of which is old as poo poo

Do you know how old the dirt that surrounds the fiber lines is?

I want to sell you new dirt. It’s more conductive.

Warning: do not use new dirt as ground.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Grassy Knowles posted:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
So sometimes, "that makes my hair stand on end" is just an expression, but that might do it for real

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my isp link is on a passive optical network

so my optical modem is 24/7 bombarded by 50 other neighbors 2gbps streams of linux.isos and hornpub.mkvs which is why my audio quality is like my shitposting

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Is this dirt gold plated and depolarised though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

This thread thrilled, entertained, and provided years of wonderment. It's with a heavy heart we toss dirt on its pine box as we lower it into the archives.

I'd love for any and all of you to post your favourite hits in the new thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042004