Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WhiteHowler posted:

Wow, that is a dog, for sure. Maybe some beagle and terrier?

Are you going to DNA test at some point?

Looks like a Jack Russell or mix thereof to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Was visiting my parents for the 4th and my sister has a new dog. Her name is Sky and one parent was a Great Dane and the other was a mutt. She got a DNA test done and the other half came up with German Shepherd, Staffordshire Bulldog, Rottweiler, and some others I've forgotten. She's 19 weeks and weighs ~40 pounds already.

She's so goddamn pretty and she's gonna be enormous.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Friend posted:

Brought home this adorable "South Texas Special" today. We've theorized some big mixture of red heeler, Australia cattle dog, lemon dalmatian, bull terrier, and/or shar pei. No idea really but she's a super sweet puppy.

Finally bit the bullet and got a dna test. Spoilered if anyone wants another chance to take a guess.

My wife had guessed there would be some shar pei based solely on her bristly hair, but we never would've guessed one parent was full-blooded shar pei. No heeler, and only a vague hint of dalmatian, so where did the spots come from?!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It's always ....chow.....

Ticking/roaning is dominant so it just takes one ancestor way back to carry it on so just spots in the supermutt could be enough. The weird part to me is getting an all white dog with one parent being a breed that doesn't come in white.

Thanks for sharing! I love dog DNA tests.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Looks like a Jack Russell or mix thereof to me.

I just noticed this post from months ago, he’s a dachshund/Jack Russell mix - heavy on the dachshund. Whatever terrier is in him is purely looks because Max’s a slug.

We are picking up a rescue next week whose supposedly a corgi terrier mix. 3 years old and 30 pounds. Picked up by animal control with a belly full of babies, which she delivered and weaned after she got to the rescue shelter. Now that all the puppies have been adopted she’s ready to go herself. Just waiting for her to heal after spaying.

Might have to get a DNA test on this one. Will tests show me what kind of terrier she is? I’m starting to think she’s a Corgi Pit. Huge head, little tiny legs. But if that’s the case she’s a very small Corgi Pit. We’ll call her Ruby.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I just noticed this post from months ago, he’s a dachshund/Jack Russell mix - heavy on the dachshund. Whatever terrier is in him is purely looks because Max’s a slug.

We are picking up a rescue next week whose supposedly a corgi terrier mix. 3 years old and 30 pounds. Picked up by animal control with a belly full of babies, which she delivered and weaned after she got to the rescue shelter. Now that all the puppies have been adopted she’s ready to go herself. Just waiting for her to heal after spaying.

Might have to get a DNA test on this one. Will tests show me what kind of terrier she is? I’m starting to think she’s a Corgi Pit. Huge head, little tiny legs. But if that’s the case she’s a very small Corgi Pit. We’ll call her Ruby.

She's super cute! American pit bull terriers aren't huge dogs and I don't personally see any corgi traits in her face at least. There are lots of pits with big goofy bat ears :3: She could just be a breed/mix with dwarfism!

Embark has all the various bully/terrier breeds and will tell you specifics instead of just terrier. Wisdom panel tends to group things together more, especially for the bully breeds. Black Friday the embarks should get down to $129 for the breed+health test and you can often find the breed only test for as low as $79.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Instant Jellyfish posted:

She's super cute! American pit bull terriers aren't huge dogs and I don't personally see any corgi traits in her face at least. There are lots of pits with big goofy bat ears :3: She could just be a breed/mix with dwarfism!

Embark has all the various bully/terrier breeds and will tell you specifics instead of just terrier. Wisdom panel tends to group things together more, especially for the bully breeds. Black Friday the embarks should get down to $129 for the breed+health test and you can often find the breed only test for as low as $79.

Yeah, the corgi may not be accurate. A Corgi Pit weighs 30 to 50lbs so she's in range, but just barely. Most pictures of that mixed breed seem to have more corgi in the face. Thanks for the DNA suggestions, we'll keep an eye out for Embark on sale.

My kid's so excited. She loves the pointy ears and none of our other dogs ever liked toys, but Ruby is obsessed with them.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Black Friday the embarks should get down to $129 for the breed+health test and you can often find the breed only test for as low as $79.

Unless they've fixed it in the last few months, you can add a kit to your cart, and when it says "add another for only $135" add that one and remove the original and you can just buy the discounted one (or multiple discounted ones!)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Friend posted:

Unless they've fixed it in the last few months, you can add a kit to your cart, and when it says "add another for only $135" add that one and remove the original and you can just buy the discounted one (or multiple discounted ones!)

Can confirm, it does work. Just ordered a kit for $135. Thanks.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

New dog! Aussie mix (she has a tail!)

But, Aussie and what else? People on walks have guessed...Brittany spaniel (can see, used to have a Brittany, don't really think so though because of the ears), pit bull, border collie, German short-haired pointer.

She's a shelter dog, 6 years old, very sweet!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Our Embark DNA test results came back on our "corgi/terrier" mix and there's no corgi, but there is some beagle, a bit of chow, a dash of labrador, and some dalmation that must be cross contamination.

50% American pit bull terrier. Shocked I tell you, just shocked.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The beagle/pits I've met have all been super sweet dogs. She looks like a good friend :3:

Embark has a system that picks up cross-contamination and they would have sent you a new swab so if both your dogs just happen to have a bit of dalmatian there might just be a weird number of dalmatians in your area for some reason.

Rhymes With Clue posted:

New dog! Aussie mix (she has a tail!)

But, Aussie and what else? People on walks have guessed...Brittany spaniel (can see, used to have a Brittany, don't really think so though because of the ears), pit bull, border collie, German short-haired pointer.

She's a shelter dog, 6 years old, very sweet!

Aussie/pit? Pit/chow/something long haired? It looks like she is white from the Whitehead gene instead of regular piebald but that's common in a lot of herding breeds and bully breeds. The ridiculously adorable tiny triangle ears always make me think chow or pei and it seems like every mix has chow in them. She's extremely cute!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The beagle/pits I've met have all been super sweet dogs. She looks like a good friend :3:

Embark has a system that picks up cross-contamination and they would have sent you a new swab so if both your dogs just happen to have a bit of dalmatian there might just be a weird number of dalmatians in your area for some reason.

Yeah, I figure the Embark results are accurate enough. They predicted her coat, her weight, her coloring and alerted us a potential liver issue with her breed to keep an eye out for. Which is good to know since we lost our previous pit mix to probable liver failure. It's a silly luxury to get your dog's DNA tested, but I would have just spent that $135 on booze anyway.

And yes, like every pit mix I've known she's the sweetest thing ever while being simultaneously terrifying. The way she plays with our weiner dog by putting his whole head in her mouth. He comes out of every scuffle unharmed, but covered in slobber.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Krispy Wafer posted:

Our Embark DNA test results came back on our "corgi/terrier" mix and there's no corgi, but there is some beagle, a bit of chow, a dash of labrador, and some dalmation that must be cross contamination.

50% American pit bull terrier. Shocked I tell you, just shocked.

…And in a suprise result, 9% Carcharodon carcharias

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

this is Isis, or Icey. when I got her I was told she was a rhodesian Ridgeback puppy which I was very excited about but she never really grew into that ridgie size. she does have the double cowlicks on her hindquarters and a bit of a ridge. no idea what her provenance is but she is orange and sweet.

she has the most energy of any dog I've ever met or heard of. i will bring her to my buddy's house who has three dogs and she will still want to play hours after the other pups are tired. I walk her three times a day rain or shine and get a playdate or two in per week, I chase her around in the backyard every day and still she acts like she could run up a mountain. idk what it is with mutts, their energy levels seem to be both breeds added together rather than an average like you might expect.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 6, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Black mouth cur?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Oh I think you nailed it pal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Oh I think you nailed it pal.

My uncle has one, and that snout and energy level are a dead ringer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

They do eventually chill out, but you've got a few years to go yet