Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's like how if you're the government and you're going to do 9/11 so you can take advantage of the fear and hysteria to suspend the constitution and institute dictatorship, first you advertise your guilt widely by printing drawings of burning towers on the currency that everyone's grandma can discover with a little help from a fwd:fwd: email showing them how to fold it, and then to make sure your unmistakable guilt is obvious you just dynamite building 7 instead of flying a third plane into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

darthbob88 posted:

I did Blue Apron meal kits for a little bit, as part of relearning how to cook worth a drat, and I remember running into some difficulty with a recipe saying (IIRC) "now that you've cooked the pasta, pass it through a strainer and rinse it with cold water". I sent them feedback over it saying "I'm a bachelor in a poorly-furnished kitchen. Could you let me know ahead of time if a recipe requires utensils like a strainer, zester, box grater, etc?"
if ya got lid for your pot, ya got a strainer for pasta

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

World Famous W posted:

if ya got lid for your pot, ya got a strainer for pasta

Don't even got to strain it really. If you have tongs just grab the pasta from the water pot, put it in the sauce pot. It's fine. You can hold it and let it drip dry for a minute if you really want.

But that's back on Blue Apron, if you're writing instructions for beginners you've got to really write instructions for beginners.

It's a brand new skill. Straining with a lid isn't hard to figure out but the first time you do something it's a little overwhelming and you might not think of things like that

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 24, 2024

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
yeah, not making GBS threads on anyone's cooking skills. more a helpful tip

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah I know you weren't, cooking tips ftw. I'm just saying why cooking can be so intimidating.

I use tongs because I like bringing a little of the salty pasta over along with the noodles personally (learned that when I made cappelini pomodoro, where you want that)

Straining it and giving it a cold water bath is really only for if you're anal about perfectly al dente pasta but idgaf if my noodles are a little soft so I don't bother with it.

Some of these recipes are written like you're competing on Iron Chef and David Ramsay or whoever is going to yell at you for limp noodles, but man it still tastes fine most of us are just trying to eat for the week without investing a ton of time.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 24, 2024

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah it's all stupid prejudice: they think disabled people are inferior subhumans. Someone in a wheelchair can't possess human faculties other than working legs, no, they must have an inferior brain too.

But it's very funny that their other big piece of "evidence" (how can a quadriplegic who can't hold a pen write a book) is completely disproven by their other insult ("he has a computer voice")

E: gotta love how the illuminati always leave very obvious clues. They could have trotted out a handsome athletic witty guy with a great speaking voice and said he wrote the books and no one would be the wiser, but instead they wheeled out a vegetable and pretended the computer voicebox was his because (???) They wanted the biggest morons on Facebook to see right through their gambit easily?

It's magic.

No, literally, the theory is that the illumnati put all these symbols in public because there's some sort of magic power involved.

It's also them flexing and flaunting that they're so in control that they don't need to make sensable stories anymore.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I had a gift sub to blue apron for a bit and it did actually help me up my cooking game quite a bit from some of the more subtle things, like zesting the lime you're using in the recipe to punch up the rice. And then from there I spent a lot of time looking up recipes online and giving poo poo a try. This was during pandemic unemployment though, now that I'm back to work I'm falling back on quick stir fry a lot more.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

My problem is ADHD, I start cooking, then I have to do something like go to the bathroom or something comes on TV that distracts me and I forget entirely about the cooking until I smell the burning, and even then I'm like "poo poo I hope I'm not having a stroke" before I remember I was indeed cooking

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

I had a gift sub to blue apron for a bit and it did actually help me up my cooking game quite a bit from some of the more subtle things, like zesting the lime you're using in the recipe to punch up the rice. And then from there I spent a lot of time looking up recipes online and giving poo poo a try.
Yeah I did a week of Hello Fresh on the cheap with a coupon just to try it out, and yeah they could do better to keep from tripping up beginners, but still I think it's a good way to get started, or just to learn some recipes.

But I'm skeptical the businesses will last after VC money runs out because it's just not a replacement for cooking or eating out imo

1. Most of the recipes didn't make enough food. If I have to make a sandwich after most meals am I even saving time
2. Not feasible. The only real way to cook with a full time job is meal prep a batch once or twice a week. Having to come home tired from work and then cook is why people don't do it, meal kits are slightly easier but it's still 20-45 minutes every night, and then there's the cleanup.
3. Why would anyone pay for this long term? One you're familiar with the recipes and you know what ingredients you need...curbside pickup and grocery delivery exist. And are cheaper since you can bulk buy spices etc once you're cooking regularly. Also again, ability to meal prep in bulk so you only cook and clean once a week.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I did a week of Hello Fresh on the cheap with a coupon just to try it out, and yeah they could do better to keep from tripping up beginners, but still I think it's a good way to get started, or just to learn some recipes.

But I'm skeptical the businesses will last after VC money runs out because it's just not a replacement for cooking or eating out imo

1. Most of the recipes didn't make enough food. If I have to make a sandwich after most meals am I even saving time
2. Not feasible. The only real way to cook with a full time job is meal prep a batch once or twice a week. Having to come home tired from work and then cook is why people don't do it, meal kits are slightly easier but it's still 20-45 minutes every night, and then there's the cleanup.
3. Why would anyone pay for this long term? One you're familiar with the recipes and you know what ingredients you need...curbside pickup and grocery delivery exist. And are cheaper since you can bulk buy spices etc once you're cooking regularly. Also again, ability to meal prep in bulk so you only cook and clean once a week.

Yeah Hello Fresh wanted me to make fresh aioli and mayo and the such every single meal. I feel they didn't quite get their target market, I hear them and others offer simpler options now but the pricing is still insane.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I love cooking and don’t find it a pain to make a big recipe after work. But that’s the thing, it is my cool down. I don’t blame anyone who does not want to.

I heard the various food subscription boxes are targeted at super helpless tech bro types. “I make six figures but live out of my car most days”, that type.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah. I mean they gave you the packets so you squeeze into a bowl and stir so not the worst, but yeah extra steps like that to make it a little more froo froo fancy didn't make a lot of sense for the people who would presumably be using the service. Man, I'm tired, I had a long day, a pre-mixed chili sauce packet would have tasted just fine.

And yeah the price. Yes it is cheaper than eating out. But is it cheap enough so it's worth cooking and washing pots and pans every night? Or alternatively, the grocery store is even cheaper so is there enough time savings to justify the extra cost? No not really imo.

Arguably takes more time when you consider it takes just as long to wash a pot that boiled soup for 2 meals as a pot that made soup for 10.

soviet elsa posted:

I love cooking and don’t find it a pain to make a big recipe after work. But that’s the thing, it is my cool down. I don’t blame anyone who does not want to.
Same for me. I love to cook and it is relaxing for me luckily, but still, doing it 5 nights in a row made it into a chore. And doing dishes is not a cooldown for me at all.

Targeting it at rich tech bros doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Those guys are rich enough to eat out, if they're manchildren will they want to use meal prep kits, and if they are thrifty enough to want to save money and willing to put in the cooking work, why would they need this long term when the grocery store is cheaper and it's not even any harder once you have enough practice to know what to do.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 24, 2024

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

TremorX posted:

My problem is ADHD, I start cooking, then I have to do something like go to the bathroom or something comes on TV that distracts me and I forget entirely about the cooking until I smell the burning, and even then I'm like "poo poo I hope I'm not having a stroke" before I remember I was indeed cooking

Honestly that's why I do things on timers. Bone in, skin on chicken thighs (much cheaper that way), season them with whatever seasoning blend you enjoy and/or add some bbq sauce on top, set the oven/toaster oven for 35-40 minutes at 350 or so and it'll be done with no extra effort. My toaster oven shuts itself off, so I can do whatever and come back to finished protein, then just microwave some frozen veggies and be done with it.

Do a stew in a slow cooker or instant pot - same chicken thighs, chop up some potatoes or sweet potatoes, chop up some carrots or other veggies (do NOT add broccoli before cooking, it becomes vile if stewed too long; squashes are good though, as are beans), add some seasoning, add a little white wine if you want, add some water, set the cooker, come back to delicious stew. Add some frozen veggies at this point if you want more veggies. I also like adding in some japanese curry bricks because it's goddamn delicious.

They aren't fancy dishes, but they're made from scratch from extremely useful tools, which makes the meals fairly inexpensive. Also are quite tasty, the prep time is low, and there's no chance of burning anything because the devices turn themselves off.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

VitalSigns posted:

Especially dumb because mathematics and theoretical physics is nothing but reading and thinking about stuff, activities very appropriate for someone in a wheelchair to do!

Although from the meme it sounds like the disbelief is mainly about writing books, as though the only way to write is by hand with a quill pen or something. Clearly every book ever written was done laboriously by hand, what's dictation.

And even more especially dumb that they acknowledge he has a "computer voice". How does that computer know what words to generate? Because Stephen is capable of communicating input to it. So if he can communicate words that a computer speaks, it can simply print those words instead.

I saw him speak decades ago, before the computer voice, when his communication system was "his students who'd been around him long enough to understand what he was saying and pass it on".

I took my my mum and she thought it was the coolest thing ever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ADHD makes it hard to remember to set a timer! :(
But yes, timers. Set one before you wander away from the stove and pick up a game controller. You're not going to remember to stir every 15 minutes, but hopefully you can remember why the stove is beeping in time!

Runcible Cat posted:

I saw him speak decades ago, before the computer voice, when his communication system was "his students who'd been around him long enough to understand what he was saying and pass it on".

I took my my mum and she thought it was the coolest thing ever.
Obviously the students were really doing the talking and just pretending to understand him, open your eyes sheeple

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I was going to snark what kind of recipe says to rinse pasta, but then a post above gave an example of it being useful.

still learning things.

also while these general meal/cook kits are fine, I think some of the niche ones are dumb.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

PhazonLink posted:

I was going to snark what kind of recipe says to rinse pasta, but then a post above gave an example of it being useful.

still learning things.
I probably misremembered the recipe. It may have been asking me to rinse rice instead. Point was, I needed a utensil I didn't have and had to improvise.

The worse case was a recipe that asked me to zest a lime to add a bit of flavor to rice. I didn't have a zester, so instead I just cut off chunks of lime peel and chopped them up. Instead of a nice hint of lime throughout the dish, I got occasional flavor bombs of bitterness.

quote:

also while these general meal/cook kits are fine, I think some of the niche ones are dumb.
Honestly, I like some of the niche kits because they offer new cuisines. Left to my own devices, I wouldn't make something like Curried Chicken, Poblano & Figs with Mustard Seed Rice for dinner, I'd settle for something simple and boring like baked chicken and vegetables.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You could be remembering correctly, a lot of recipes say to pour cold water on pasta to stop it cooking immediately after it's done so it doesn't get soft but unless you're serving snobs in an expensive restaurant who cares.

You also don't need a zester, cheese grater works fine, but if you didn't have a strainer maybe you didn't have a grater either. Zesting rice sounds kinda silly though, rice is already damp and the lemon has juice in it, use a dash of that?

Idk zesting is annoying because you have to be careful not to grate the bitter white part (as you found out) so I don't want to do it unless it really matters like a fancy dessert or a cocktail or something.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

VitalSigns posted:

ADHD makes it hard to remember to set a timer! :(

The beauty of the recipes that I just mentioned are that you literally set the timer on the machine. My toaster oven only functions with a timer - when you hit start on bake, it counts down from the timer that you set. A slow cooker or an instant pot also only really function with timers. They also shut off when the timer goes off, so there's 0% chance of burning anything, and even if you're late on grabbing the food, it'll still be warm for a long time after the timer goes off. Those recipes are about as set it and forget it as you can get.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Neito posted:

It's magic.

No, literally, the theory is that the illumnati put all these symbols in public because there's some sort of magic power involved.

It's also them flexing and flaunting that they're so in control that they don't need to make sensable stories anymore.

Yeah, Alex Jones is one of the people who's dumb enough to say it openly, the magic power only works ("Sympathetic magic", not that that's what that means) if you do it openly. Possibly because God makes the rules so Christians have to have a chance to figure it out? Unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:stare: