Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Franchescanado posted:

Weird request, but what's a good game that's easy to pick up and play and then pause/stop immediately? Basically, what's a game I can play on Steam at work when it's slow and the boss isn't looking?

Vampire Survivors is still kinda the king for me. I can get in and play a session very quickly, a full session is only 30 minutes, and I can pause it anytime I need. Same with Binding of Isaac.

Open to many genres. I like turn-based games, sims, city builders/management, RPGs, puzzles, platformers, survivor-likes, roguelikes/roguelites; really anything. FPSs or things that require a lot of attention (or a controller) is probably out.

Depending on your job, TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O might not even require tabbing out for you to look like you were working.

For more gentle zoning out, Luck Be a Landlord is a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Franchescanado posted:

Weird request, but what's a good game that's easy to pick up and play and then pause/stop immediately? Basically, what's a game I can play on Steam at work when it's slow and the boss isn't looking?

Vampire Survivors is still kinda the king for me. I can get in and play a session very quickly, a full session is only 30 minutes, and I can pause it anytime I need. Same with Binding of Isaac.

Open to many genres. I like turn-based games, sims, city builders/management, RPGs, puzzles, platformers, survivor-likes, roguelikes/roguelites; really anything. FPSs or things that require a lot of attention (or a controller) is probably out.

I've made this recommendation several times now, but Dicey Dungeons is perfect for this. Can stop and start on a whim, is completely turn-based, auto-saves before every fight in case you need to suddenly quit, can be played with the sound off without any issues. Play sessions tend to last anywhere from 20-40 minutes. And it's also super fun.

It's listed as a rougelite deckbuilder, but that's not really accurate. You do build a "deck" (really just gathering/upgrading equipment) during a play session, but nothing persists between play sessions, so you're not building up a starter deck or getting stronger through repeated play. Instead, whenever you beat a level you unlock a new level which will have a slightly different set of rules or conditions. The levels are surprisingly varied and strategies that work in one level often won't work in the next level, so it's lots of fun experimenting. Between the main game and the free DLCs there is more than 50 levels and multiple characters with completely different play styles.

It goes on sale all the time on Steam, often at 75% off, so perhaps wait for that if you're on the fence.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 24, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

cmndstab posted:

I've made this recommendation several times now, but Dicey Dungeons is perfect for this. Can stop and start on a whim, is completely turn-based, auto-saves before every fight in case you need to suddenly quit, can be played with the sound off without any issues. Play sessions tend to last anywhere from 20-40 minutes. And it's also super fun.

Dicey Dungeons is my Slay the Spire game of choice and I wish more people played it.

I also wish I was better at it but, eh.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Luftrausers
FTL

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009
Can anyone recommend some cheap, non-PS+ featured, PlayStation 4 / PlayStation 5 console exclusive games for under $10-15?

I've got some PlayStation wallet funds to spend, the May Savings sale is on, and I need to make two full game purchases to level up my Playstation Stars rank.

If I'm going to buy something on the PS Store, I ideally want it to be something I can't get on Steam and that has either replayability or is worth the price of admission up front.

I don't want to go for throwaway games like "Pet the ___". I'd like to find some kind of a gem down in the lower price ranges.