Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

speaking of microchips

penny got one implanted when she got spayed a few weeks ago. however i have not registered it yet. it came with a card for some service called 24petwatch, and it looks like there are a whole lot of different microchip registries. how does this stuff work -- is there like a national database that they all connect to? do i have to register with several places? how do i make sure that if she gets lost, whoever finds her can look up her information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
as far as i've learned from getting involved with TNR and such, there is no national chip database. if the one you choose to register your chip with shuts down without selling or donating its database to another operation, there may be no active registry people will find your cat's chip in.

i've already seen the database alfred and abby's chips are in get acquired by a different commercial org than the one i originally registered with. it sucks because i don't like this new one as much as the original, but at least their info is out there

i think the main thing to do is that if penny ever gets lost, check that it's still possible to look her up in the registry you used, and if not, see if you can get her chip ID into an active registry. they're just serial numbers stored in a readonly NFC chip. if you keep a copy of that number in your records, there's no need to have the chip scanned by the new registry, you just give them the number

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

WELCOME HOME BUTTERS!!!

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011
Good job Butter, now stay home idiot.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

speaking of microchips

penny got one implanted when she got spayed a few weeks ago. however i have not registered it yet. it came with a card for some service called 24petwatch, and it looks like there are a whole lot of different microchip registries. how does this stuff work -- is there like a national database that they all connect to? do i have to register with several places? how do i make sure that if she gets lost, whoever finds her can look up her information?

24PetWatch is the service where Butter was registered. Her return started with a voicemail from them with the finder's telephone number. They also seem to have provided the finder with our address because by the time I called them they were already on their way. As part of our frenzy to get her back I registered with their cheapest pay service but in the end I think the only thing that got me was that phone call.

Register your pet!

I love this blep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

george :3:

david :3:

peaches :3:

Exodor posted:

BUTTER IS HOME!!!