Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nitrox posted:

There are several tools online that calculate cost of ownership, Edmunds, Carparts and even KBB has an option.

Those are neat resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Repairpal lists an average annual cost for the 2017 model of $1017, broken down into items like “door mirror replacement” for $1079-1093 and brake pad replacement $220-261. It appears about half the list is items associated with accidents. No other years have enough data to generate an estimate.

In general, repairpal estimates that you pay $92/year more for repairs and maintenance than with the average luxury vehicle, with a dead accurate unscheduled repair frequency. It is 3% higher than average to have a Severe issue.

Edmunds assumes you’re gonna need $800 a year in repairs. For what?

Repair pal also seems neat

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Proposed Budget: Max $30k. $25k or less would be great.
New or Used: Either, although “new” seems somehow better in these weird economic times.
Body Style:
  • Suv or hatchback.
  • Don't want a massive vehicle because I park in metro grocery/apartment/other garages and the spaces seem small for big cars.
  • 4-door
How will you be using the car?
  • Mainly work commuting from city to city.
  • Somewhat occasionally driving ~3 hours on highway to a different metro.
  • Somewhat less occasionally driving up big mountains for snowboarding/hiking
  • Generally just driving myself. Sometimes 1 other adult human. Sometimes 1-2 small dogs.
  • Easy for elders / those with limited mobility to get in and out, would be nice.
What aspects are most important to you?
  • Safety. Safety is #1. IIHS.org pick+ and NHTSA superstar cars to the front please! I’m coming from an early 2000’s car so I love the new safety bells and whistles.
  • Longevity. I don't want to have to buy a car again for a while after buying this car.
  • All wheel drive preferred
  • Carplay
  • Rearview camera
  • Ceiling needs to be high enough that I don’t touch it with my noggin. I’m under 6 feet tall but still touch car ceilings!
  • Stretch goal: cargo space to fit a bike in the back maybe?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

AWD Prius.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yup, new sexy Prius. Just buy a bike rack. And snow tires/chains.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The egress/mobility issue is something that you will need to figure out with your passengers. Older people don't like dropping down to the floor, in my experience. They tend to favor cuv/suv option.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Nitrox posted:

The egress/mobility issue is something that you will need to figure out with your passengers. Older people don't like dropping down to the floor, in my experience. They tend to favor cuv/suv option.

Yeah, go to carmax if you can and sit in a bunch of stuff. It’s the easiest way to eliminate options.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Proposed Budget: Max $30k. $25k or less would be great.

It's not clear what has changed since you were told to buy a prius and you told me:

I appreciate that some people enjoy driving but I’ve personally never been able to feel like any regular person car is substantively more of a driving experience than any other regular person car.

Which absolutely means you should buy the Toyota driving appliance that every cab comapny has known to be the right choice for cheap basic safe transportation.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
cross posting from the San Diego thread (replacing "San Diego" with "high cost-of-living cities":

anyone have opinions here about car shopping w/in high cost-of-living cities?

right now I'm considering buying a used Honda CR-V because

1. I'm currently leasing a CR-V that has a few defects that I'd like to return
2. I work from home, so don't care so much about the mileage
3. If I leased, I would plan on buying the car at the end of the lease anyway.

But I'm also wondering if buying within a high cost-of-living city makes sense or I should try to go out of state for a better deal? Right now, the Honda CR-V that I leased back in 2020 (RIGHT before covid) has the same MSRP as a used one in San Diego that has 30k miles on it. I know covid absolutely hosed the prices of cars, so that's not a huge surprise, but I'm kinda stuck on what makes the most sense here.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Nitrox posted:

Prius on hydros :getin:
example: https://youtu.be/cHLAnRRJO_E

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nitrox posted:

Exactly.

mariooncrack posted:

Yeah, go to carmax if you can and sit in a bunch of stuff. It’s the easiest way to eliminate options.

Sounds good. I’ll go to car max and sit in stuff.

What should I be looking at in addition to the new Prius if the entry/accessibility warrants something higher? The Toyota and Honda CUVs? Mazda CX-30 and CX-5 seem decent at the appropriate price, with good safety.

Also - are the lifts posted ITT actual plausible solutions for the Prius height issue? I really like the stats and looks of new Prius, for the price point.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thank you all for the recommendations and support :)

Motronic, when I quoted that part of your post, I was responding more to the general previous discussion idea around the user experience of driving. I wasn’t trying to snipe at you or anything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Exactly.

Sounds good. I’ll go to car max and sit in stuff.

What should I be looking at in addition to the new Prius if the entry/accessibility warrants something higher? The Toyota and Honda CUVs? Mazda CX-30 and CX-5 seem decent at the appropriate price, with good safety.

Also - are the lifts posted ITT actual plausible solutions for the Prius height issue? I really like the stats and looks of new Prius, for the price point.

do not lift a prius just buy a RAV-4 hybrid or whatever

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

teen phone cutie posted:

cross posting from the San Diego thread (replacing "San Diego" with "high cost-of-living cities":

anyone have opinions here about car shopping w/in high cost-of-living cities?

right now I'm considering buying a used Honda CR-V because

1. I'm currently leasing a CR-V that has a few defects that I'd like to return
2. I work from home, so don't care so much about the mileage
3. If I leased, I would plan on buying the car at the end of the lease anyway.

But I'm also wondering if buying within a high cost-of-living city makes sense or I should try to go out of state for a better deal? Right now, the Honda CR-V that I leased back in 2020 (RIGHT before covid) has the same MSRP as a used one in San Diego that has 30k miles on it. I know covid absolutely hosed the prices of cars, so that's not a huge surprise, but I'm kinda stuck on what makes the most sense here.

What's wrong with your current CR-V?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Motronic, when I quoted that part of your post, I was responding more to the general previous discussion idea around the user experience of driving. I wasn’t trying to snipe at you or anything.

I didn't take it that way. It's 100% relevant information to what car one would suggest that you buy. If I didn't care about driving dynamics I'd have a prius too.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Priuses/rav4s drive fine lol. You don’t have to “not care about driving dynamics”. Lmao. Better than lots of cars actually. I like my rav4 hybrid. Prius was too small for me. RAV4 is in fact a bigger prius despite what people tell me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's fine to not care about driving dynamics. Most people don't. If you don't already know that you care about them, you don't care about them.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sorry that’s dumb as hell I’ve driven test cars before. It’s not a matter of ignorance lol Mr snob

Cars are tools. If you really care that much you have a 2nd car imo

Edit: sorry if I misread your post skipping the word “care”. Maybe I don’t care to make my main car a Miata although I think most fords drive like poo poo by comparison to almost any Toyota. I’m a little feisty lol

ethanol fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 25, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

thank you for defending the honor of the RAV-4 or whatever

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It’s a good car op. The peoples cuv.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

thank you for defending the honor of the RAV-4 or whatever
I'm really liking my dads so far. Quiet, roomy, doors have a solid thunk when you close em. Crazy gas mileage!!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ethanol posted:

Priuses/rav4s drive fine lol. You don’t have to “not care about driving dynamics”. Lmao. Better than lots of cars actually. I like my rav4 hybrid. Prius was too small for me. RAV4 is in fact a bigger prius despite what people tell me.

Tell me you don't care about or even particularly know what driving dynamics are while being strangely standoffish because you think knowing about or caring about this thing is somehow elitist. Thanks, weirdo.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

lol do you want me to respond to that nonsense or

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

e: nevermind

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is always some sort of placebo effect when it comes to car safety or driving dynamics. Most of us who are not rabid enthusiasts or trained professionals, will never be able to differentiate what is actually good and helpful, from what "just feels right". It's perfectly fine to purchase things based on feelings and emotions. But it's best to know the difference.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What's wrong with your current CR-V?

the seal on the hood or something is hosed because my interior gets green mold any time it rains. I'd rather just get rid of it

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What are driving dynamics in the context of this thread for regular cars? I get that taller cars feel… floatier? I guess or slightly more tippy?

I’ve driven auto cross before and it was fun but they are way too low to the ground and almost too responsive to be useful for actual daily driving.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not lift a prius just buy a RAV-4 hybrid or whatever

Kk

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

teen phone cutie posted:

the seal on the hood or something is hosed because my interior gets green mold any time it rains. I'd rather just get rid of it

i would definitely get rid of it - once mold starts it's tough to get gone - but just taking a shot in the dark this sounds like a classic sunroof drain issue.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Does the Toyota Corolla Cross suck? Or is it just that the RAV4 is better bang for the buck?

I seldom see it recommended or even mentioned.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Does the Toyota Corolla Cross suck? Or is it just that the RAV4 is better bang for the buck?

I seldom see it recommended or even mentioned.

I looked at those lightly when I was shopping for a cuv and they seemed underpowered and cheaper quality feel all around. But they are somewhat cheaper price wise. So definitely something you might want to compare in a test drive. I think a rav4 hybrid has a better chance of holding its Toyota tax value though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's a bit smaller and is even more of an appliance. The 2.0 is slow as gently caress since it's a Corolla drivetrain in a fatter, heavier package. The hybrid is OK.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’d prefer my sister working in a whorehouse than driving in a RAV-4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
RAV4s and working at whorehouses are both reasonable choices that work for certain intersections of people's lives.