Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ford recalled about 1.5M Pintos to fix the burny tank issue, but over 5M teslas have been sold now, so ratio-wise they're probably about the same level of dying by fire risk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Those 80-95 still love the car though. Elon says so.

They wouldn't have stayed in the fire if they didn't love their Tesla.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Leperflesh posted:

Ford recalled about 1.5M Pintos to fix the burny tank issue, but over 5M teslas have been sold now, so ratio-wise they're probably about the same level of dying by fire risk

If I recall, they were pretty much shamed into the recall. The whole debacle is something we remember not so much for the death toll, but for the leaks of internal memos discussing how much the recall would cost vs litigation from dead people’s families. This was back when people used to care whether companies were evil of course. Half the country would probably call it “shrewd” for a corporation to decide to save money by killing people vs litigation from the use of their unsafe product nowadays… while accepting tons of taxpayer subsidies of course

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Now it's just normal for companies to set aside the money they think they'd need to pay out for lawsuits and invest it ahead of time so they come out ahead.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cojawfee posted:

Now it's just normal for companies to set aside the money they think they'd need to pay out for lawsuits and invest it ahead of time so they come out ahead.

Fasttrack to the Cyberpunk dystopia.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Just assassinate whistleblowers.

It’s that easy, folks.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Just assassinate whistleblowers.

It’s that easy, folks.

Would people do that? Just go into a parking lot and assassinate a whistleblower?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

namlosh posted:

If I recall, they were pretty much shamed into the recall. The whole debacle is something we remember not so much for the death toll, but for the leaks of internal memos discussing how much the recall would cost vs litigation from dead people’s families. This was back when people used to care whether companies were evil of course. Half the country would probably call it “shrewd” for a corporation to decide to save money by killing people vs litigation from the use of their unsafe product nowadays… while accepting tons of taxpayer subsidies of course

what actually happened was very complicated and has been widely misrepresented in the press and popular perception for decades, but essentially you're right

but also the public perception was badly skewed, the memo comparing cost of fixes to the value of a human life was following NHSTA standards and was not explicitly or individually a decision-making document, lots of other cars had the same defect, and many of the people who died in car fires in Pintos didn't do so specifically because of the identified defect: cars can catch fire for a lot of reasons.

all of the above is just to reiterate that it's complicated and the throwaway idea that all Teslas explode into flame because of bad design is similarly glossing over a lot of details that make the whole thing less pat and satisfying. But still fits a narrative about Musk's disregard for human life that like... he sure does jack poo poo to disabuse or counter, and the build quality on Teslas is poo poo, and so I personally think people shouldn't buy them anyway

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lmao @ the die.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I am the two different sized lug nuts.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I'm the ghost of bearing grease long past

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

i don't think that axle requires a cap, it looks like the driven axle of a fwd.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

The grease it should have had is currently being used on a tow ball and receiver I saw in a tiktok earlier.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I just assumed that was a trailer axle since it’s in better condition than 90% of the trailers I see on the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What happens when a blower blows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE2kWLyzQZY

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Holy poo poo the holes blown through the charge pipe! That's insane.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
When compressor turbines go, they go hard.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

When compressor turbines go, they go hard.

Those bad boys a spinning something fierce at anything above idle.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Those bad boys a spinning something fierce at anything above idle.

In the video he shows when the engine broke free from the dyno, it revved to 12,000 rpm. The impeller rated for 65,000 rpm spun up to over 100,000.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The sound you heard is the compressor impeller screaming “FREEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOMMMMMM”

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MrYenko posted:

The sound you heard is the compressor impeller screaming “FREEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOMMMMMM”

If you start hearing Freebird it’s time to run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

In the video he shows when the engine broke free from the dyno, it revved to 12,000 rpm. The impeller rated for 65,000 rpm spun up to over 100,000.

Jesus. I didn't have a moment to watch the video until now.
So, I don't know about you, but I would have at least had a sheet of diamond plate if not steel between me and the console, and laminated safety glass or polycarbonate in the window. Definitely not plain plate glass.

So, I'm only partway through the video. Did the dyno break, which let the engine over-rev? I can see that the pillow-block broke, as well as all the flywheel bolts. Impressive carnage.