Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is there a website that breaks down phone by phone what each phone has in terms of camera features?

GSMarena gives the technical information (mp, fov, etc.)
I don't know if it mentions more software-specific things, like Apple's Macro Mode with the Ultrawide lens on the 13/14 pros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Mister Facetious posted:

GSMarena gives the technical information (mp, fov, etc.)
I don't know if it mentions more software-specific things, like Apple's Macro Mode with the Ultrawide lens on the 13/14 pros

Thanks! I am trying to help my students learn what specs their cameras have and we will then discuss what their operating system allows them to do. This site will help streamline that greatly.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

An idea, while not free (it could be, if the student is resourceful!) but can be very cheap, is to get them to buy or find a vintage digicam.

Many of them may have a relative or two that has one but hasn't used it in a while.

Many of the digicams have manual controls too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Thanks! I am trying to help my students learn what specs their cameras have and we will then discuss what their operating system allows them to do. This site will help streamline that greatly.

Be careful about aperture numbers for lenses. Iirc they're not directly comparable D/SLR cameras.

quote:

Speaking of camera lenses, photography enthusiasts will often associate wider apertures with a shallower depth of field, allowing for nice, soft bokeh. However, with smartphones, we’re usually stuck with a fixed aperture, a smaller image sensor positioned close up to the lens, and a reasonably wide field of view. A phone camera’s depth of field will never be that shallow.

Smartphone sensors are positioned much closer to the lens than in a DSLR, hence why today's smartphones have a wider aperture ratio even though the opening is smaller.

An f/2.2 smartphone camera actually only provides a depth of field equivalent to an f/13 or f/14 aperture on a full-frame camera. It only produces a small amount of blur. Modern phones with enhanced bokeh effects rely on software for a more dramatic look. We usually see the effect artificially added in shooting modes like Portrait Mode.

Helpful material:
https://www.androidpolice.com/how-do-smartphone-cameras-work/

https://www.androidauthority.com/what-is-aperture-789927/

https://www.dxomark.com/smartphones-vs-cameras-closing-the-gap-on-image-quality/

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 28, 2023

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Thanks for the info!

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

iPhone 15, Ultrawide, Auto color editing.
Yesterday was one of the most beautiful days I have ever experienced. I could have photographed clouds all day.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Uh yes please. More of that ☝️

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023
pictures from last year (and one from today)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Weird eclipse shadows during totality on Monday