Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm doing "challenge mode" with the royals and it is loving HARD

They have it all: no farm system, albatross contracts, a small market, a penny pinching owner

I haven't been this challenged and annoyed by OOTP in a long time and it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What is "challenge mode"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Cheevo mode

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
its just a no-edit hard save mode

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bewbies posted:

I'm doing "challenge mode" with the royals and it is loving HARD

They have it all: no farm system, albatross contracts, a small market, a penny pinching owner

I haven't been this challenged and annoyed by OOTP in a long time and it owns

Try Miami if you really want to shoot yourself in the head. I've never hated Wei-yin Chen before but that guy managed to ruin any semblance of free agency for the first three years of that franchise. I don't understand how real life GMs are dumb enough to give him 20 mil a year when he's clearly over the hill and not good in the first place.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Trout/Harper/Machado/Kershaw/Stanton UFA deals were...funny.

Trout opted out at 29, got 7/327 including $54m in the last 3 years....for the Dodgers
Stanton at 31 got 6/257 to go back to NYY after 46/56/57 HR seasons
Harper got 7/258 (in Atlanta lol) and then won a WS and two MVPs
Kershaw got 6/207 in Toronto and kept winning Cy Youngs

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I love this game:

Also, there's this ace closer named Chris Cocks that seems to sign a new one year deal every year. I like to imagine he's the Kenny Powers of the game's universe.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
More dingers + healthy has created a monster GC Stanton. He just hit #600 in his age 33 season.

Almost every year someone hits 60

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Fix It posted:

I love this game:

Also, there's this ace closer named Chris Cocks that seems to sign a new one year deal every year. I like to imagine he's the Kenny Powers of the game's universe.

During my Marlins campaign my third basemen asked me to donate to a charity even though I was already strapped for cash. So I donated the money to charity to avoid the negative penalty then I demoted him to low A and kept him there was a 27 year old.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

IcePhoenix posted:

I ran one a decade or so ago on ootp 6.5

Was that a decade ago?

poo poo

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Ootp 19 is 20 on the steam summer sale FYI.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

What is "challenge mode"

It looks to me like it's just how most of us play the game except you can't fast sim through dates during the regular season?

Anybody know what the longer standing issues with OOTP are that haven't been addressed? It feels like they're just focused on the ingame simulation lately, and that's not what a lot of us buy the game for.

This is what I've got:
1. Injury frequency/severity being simultaneously "too" realistic and yet not feeling like they follow real life (probably due to the inherent difficulty in recreating them).
2. No 3 way tie breakers (this was brought up earlier in the thread)
3. Ratings inflation in the league due to players in the draft having too high of a ceiling (although it's much better than it was a long time ago)
4. Players don't retire in a realistic manner (meaning young players with no chance of reaching the majors don't just retire after a couple years), so you end up with 5,000 free agents and it bogs down the league file.
5. Trading AI does some crazy poo poo (although it's not as bad as it first seems, the AI won't make a trade just because you want to and it's harder to con them into something that it used to be)
6. To go along with 5- it feels like AI general managers frequently won't trade for veterans with even mid-tier contracts under any circumstances, even if it helps them, even at the deadline.

Here's a decent list I found on the forums:

http://ootpdevelopments.com/board/showthread.php?t=290681

This is probably the most substantial thing they could change right away:

quote:

3. Talent shifts

While players, and especially older players, can tank in the star ratings, OOTP does not allow for players to make major strides forward. If you're a 2 star OOTP player, you will never become a four star OOTP player. Yet it happens all the time.

You'll never see a Joey Bats, Justin Turner, or Jake Arrieta like transformation.

I'm glad to see someone who represents OOTP (other than Markus) responded to that poster's list and seems to be active in the forums these days.

There are also an entire other group of issues facing online leagues but I know that's only 1/4 of the population of OOTP players, if that?

Niwrad posted:

Also has an OOTP league ever been attempted here? I remember playing in one back in like 2001 and had a blast. Making trades on AIM was all the rage.

Doesn't seem like enough people here own the game but it'd be really fun if it were possible. The game has added so many good online tools. Plus with Discord and cheap hosting, it'd be pretty easy to communicate. Everyone building a team their own way, voting on awards and HOF, etc.

In order to run a "successful" online OOTP league these days, it looks like a second job to me. You need a Discord or Slack channel but also a StatsPlus site, and, especially, an active community that likes playing together, wants to get along, and has a strong understanding of how the game mechanics work to avoid having people feeling run over by other members of the league.

There are a lot of reasons the RSL, which Buane runs, has worked so well for so long. A lot of the members already knew each other before joining or have gotten to know each other (You could say Minneapolis is our unofficial home region at this point with a satellite in Austin). Buane works hard to make sure we sim regularly, that the rules are enforceable and easy to understand, and he makes sure the game can't wreck the league by way of wonky mechanics that are easy to deal with in single player but not so much with 30 live GMs.

That doesn't mean every league has to run for 50 seasons. I can totally see the enjoyment of just setting a limited run for a league and getting the most out of 5 or so seasons.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 26, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

3. Ratings inflation in the league due to players in the draft having too high of a ceiling (although it's much better than it was a long time ago)

The draft sort of corrects for this in waves. So the first couple drafts will be stacked, but then the next dozen or so will be dire.

I used to turn on pick trading because I thought it was a fun wrinkle but then I realized that it was too "overpowered" in trades because I could always just trade my top three picks for whatever I needed and the AI would value them very highly, then the draft class would come out and those picks would basically amount to a 2.5* (at best) and two 1* potential guys, unless you drafted relievers (I basically always drafted relievers).

note: I haven't played 19 so I guess I don't know if this is accurate but given that it's been consistent through the previous like four versions I see no reason they would have fixed it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

The draft sort of corrects for this in waves. So the first couple drafts will be stacked, but then the next dozen or so will be dire.

I used to turn on pick trading because I thought it was a fun wrinkle but then I realized that it was too "overpowered" in trades because I could always just trade my top three picks for whatever I needed and the AI would value them very highly, then the draft class would come out and those picks would basically amount to a 2.5* (at best) and two 1* potential guys, unless you drafted relievers (I basically always drafted relievers).

note: I haven't played 19 so I guess I don't know if this is accurate but given that it's been consistent through the previous like four versions I see no reason they would have fixed it.

I have seen this, now that I've messed with feeders and minor leagues a lot more. I guess I don't usually play leagues for long enough for corrections to occur or I get bored with it and just start cutting every other player out of the draft pools, which was a shortcut I learned from someone else.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

For some reason I skimmed past most of the rest of your post (the reason is I'm really tired) but more thoughts:

tadashi posted:

4. Players don't retire in a realistic manner (meaning young players with no chance of reaching the majors don't just retire after a couple years), so you end up with 5,000 free agents and it bogs down the league file.

I'm probably misremembering but I swear players who hit a certain age at a certain (bad) skill level will just auto-retire if they're not on a team or in the minors. I regularly prune my minor leagues by age to help keep the teams from getting too bloated.

quote:

You'll never see a Joey Bats, Justin Turner, or Jake Arrieta like transformation.

More anecdotal evidence that's probably tainted, but I feel like I've definitely seen stuff like this but it also might have just been a prospect who was in his early 20s in A or AA ball suddenly getting a huge boost to his potential and ratings.

Also it's pretty cool that the one league is still running, shame I never joined it I guess if I live near most of the people in it :v:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I’ve played up to 18 and the ratings system as a whole seems like black magic to me. Neither the OSA nor scout system seems reliable in any sort of way nor reflective of the stats or performance of the players in a season. I know there’s a fair amount of guesswork in baseball as a whole, but I don’t wonder if the ratings actually actively make the experience worse from a gaming perspective. It doesn’t feel like a tool to me, but an overly punishing puzzle.

And I’ve been wondering if it’s any better in 19, but I also don’t want to spend the money to find out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If I can get it for a dollar like I did 18 I will probably do so but that's basically my price point until they fix the basic issues the game has instead of adding a new hat.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

rickiep00h posted:

I’ve played up to 18 and the ratings system as a whole seems like black magic to me. Neither the OSA nor scout system seems reliable in any sort of way nor reflective of the stats or performance of the players in a season. I know there’s a fair amount of guesswork in baseball as a whole, but I don’t wonder if the ratings actually actively make the experience worse from a gaming perspective. It doesn’t feel like a tool to me, but an overly punishing puzzle.

And I’ve been wondering if it’s any better in 19, but I also don’t want to spend the money to find out.

It's gotten a bit better. Guys who are top rated in certain categories tend to have their stats play out over a long season to mimic their ratings. I almost never see top rated players in that game do poorly, at least compared to OOTP17. Also turning the ageing down to .650 helped immensely. No longer do players who turn 29 lose every bit of their ability to hit, pitch, or field a ball.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Join the RSL, IcePhoenix, you'll never play a solo league again :getin:

We're upgrading from OOTP17 to 19 about 6 weeks from now. Online leagues are by no means perfect, but at least playing with other humans masks a lot of the more glaring & predictable flaws.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Will the website still make my eyes bleed or did you change it :v:

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

I dunno, I guess click if you dare

http://buane.net/risingstar/html/leagues/league_100_home.html

https://statsplus.net/rsl/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oh, yeah that's definitely way different from when I looked like...seven years ago (lol)

But if you're upgrading to 19 soon I don't want to commit since I don't plan on buying the game unless it gets humble bundle'd for a dollar like 18 was

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

quote:

Harfangs, Dragons Confirm Swap
Sunday, June 1st, 2053
It's being reported in the Montreal press that the Harfangs have traded 20-year-old minor league CF Kento Tovar, 23-year-old minor league SS Whit Dodd, a 1st round draft pick and a 2nd round draft pick to the Portland Dragons for 23-year-old RHP Franky Sanicencio. However, there is no confirmation by the two ball clubs.

I see OOTP's news blurbs make as much sense as ever

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

We're in 2053 currently. So maybe it's just an accurate, sad representation of the real world media's pivot to video and abandonment of print standards. :(

That genius Markus

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Buane posted:

We're in 2053 currently. So maybe it's just an accurate, sad representation of the real world media's pivot to video and abandonment of print standards. :(

That genius Markus

Go Spirit!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'd be tempted to get in on that. How much attention do I have to pay to it on average?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Doltos posted:

I'd be tempted to get in on that. How much attention do I have to pay to it on average?

The sims only take place 4 times per week. If I don't have any injuries, I don't always download the new file but it's good to export regularly so Buane knows you're still alive and participating.

The real guts of an online league are trading. Sure, there are always some sharks like there are in real life, but people genuinely want the league to succeed on the whole, so everyone is always available to give advice. The fun thing about trading in online leagues is, just like real life, the more you trade the more you learn about the other owner/GMs and the better your trades will get (usually).

Also, sometimes your team has a .600 winning percentage at home and .235 on the road but that's just OOTP. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Have any of you ever done fantasy draft elsewhere everyone UFA? Any guides to avoid glitches or issues in this?

• Locked thread