Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Victrix Vikings are right there for all your big axe needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Speaking of KS, I just finally got my shipping email from Fireforge from their Samurai KS. Six boxes of plastic soldiers on the way! This is what I need to make enough troops for two opposing armies.

Man, they really botched the delivery of the KS to their backers. I didn't back the kickstarter and I was able to buy the entire range from an online retailer over a month ago.

The models are pretty nice, but wait until you see the weirdness with the torsos/legs.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

"From the foreword to 'The Complete Compleat Enchanter' by L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt posted:

As a history, military, and naval buff, Pratt devised a naval war game, to which his friends were invited once a month. In odd moments, he had whittled out scale models (55 feet = inch) of the world's warships, using balsa wood, wires, and pins, until there were hundreds of models crowding his shelves. The game called for the players to crawl around on the floor, moving their models the distances allowed on scales marked in knots; estimating ranges in inches to the ships on which they were firing; and writing down these estimates. Then the referees chased the players off and measured the actual ranges, penalizing ships hit so many points, according to the size of the shells, and depriving them of so many knots of speed, so many guns, and so on. When a ship had lost all its points, it was taken from the floor. There were special provisions for merchant ships, shore batteries, submarines, torpedoes, and airplanes.

In 1939, my old friend and college roommate, John D. Clark, introduced me to Pratt. A naval buff of long standing myself, I was soon an enthusiastic war gamer and a regular attendant at the Pratts' evenings, along with such colleagues as Laurence Manning, Malcolm Jameson, Ted Sturgeon, George O. Smith, and L. Ron Hubbard, who had not yet manifested himself as the pontiff of Scientology.

For several years, the war garners met in the Pratts' apartment. When this became too crowded, with fifty or more players at once, the games moved to a hall on East Fifty-ninth Street. After World War II, interest declined.

Randomly stumbled across talk of old miniature wargaming while reading last night.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Class Warcraft posted:

Man, they really botched the delivery of the KS to their backers. I didn't back the kickstarter and I was able to buy the entire range from an online retailer over a month ago.

The models are pretty nice, but wait until you see the weirdness with the torsos/legs.

Lol is it worse than the Warlord games samurai?

And yes, boxes were seen in the wild in August. Getting your Early Bird kickstarter pledge in March makes that a bit of a bummer. But to be 100% honest it's not like I've had the spare time to paint them up anyway.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

StashAugustine posted:

Now I just need to figure out how many jomsvikings I'm gonna need for Saga. Wish they had a few more daneaxe guys

Probably at least double what you intended initially

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm thinking 16 guard and 32 warriors for both hand weapons and two handed axes. I think I might just hope mixing up one and two handed axes looks acceptable

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Lol is it worse than the Warlord games samurai?

And yes, boxes were seen in the wild in August. Getting your Early Bird kickstarter pledge in March makes that a bit of a bummer. But to be 100% honest it's not like I've had the spare time to paint them up anyway.

The fit is ok, it's the proportion of legs to torsos that's the issue. A sprue of Ashigaru come with six torsos and nine sets of legs. It's super frustrating to have everything you need to make 12 more models, except for the torsos.

Meanwhile, the Samurai cav come with 12 sets of legs but 24 torsos, for some reason. They're slightly smaller than the non-cav torsos so they only work with some models and not others. It's a bit of a head-scratcher.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Class Warcraft posted:

The fit is ok, it's the proportion of legs to torsos that's the issue. A sprue of Ashigaru come with six torsos and nine sets of legs. It's super frustrating to have everything you need to make 12 more models, except for the torsos.

Meanwhile, the Samurai cav come with 12 sets of legs but 24 torsos, for some reason. They're slightly smaller than the non-cav torsos so they only work with some models and not others. It's a bit of a head-scratcher.

That's weird. Maybe by just slightly extending the torsos (like a mm of green stuff or so) you could get out a few more ranks of ashigaru then?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone played Triumph? Is it just DBA with a point system?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I played 2 games of Glory is Fleeting yesterday.

The first game I replayed the British mistake at Battle of Albuera when I left a brigade open on the flank with enemy cavalry next to them...and did not form square. For some reason I thought I would do that...and then...didn't. Wiped out a division of troops with the resulting failure cascade. My elite flanking division to the top right got slowed down to a crawl by a enemy cavalry division, and lacking cavalry myself, could never catch up to engage them. I ended up charging the enemy horse with my own foot infantry...which did not work.

The second game I did slightly better, I was able to march my elite 1813 British troops to be in a position to strike for the enemy line of communications. My cavalry charged and routed two enemy brigades...and then his last large one formed square and my horse sat around with nothing they could do about it.

I could have stopped at that point and held off to get a draw with a win on points...but decided to go for it. Charging enemy heavy artillery with infantry turned out not to be the solution.

Both games were technically a draw as neither army was defeated, but I lost both on points. More Mistakes Had Been Made and more Lessons Have Been Learnt.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tiny tanks?

Tiny tanks.

I'm starting to refine my painting process for these, and gods knows how many Shermans I have to paint. Also tiny infantry is tiny.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

iospace posted:

Tiny tanks?

Tiny tanks.

I'm starting to refine my painting process for these, and gods knows how many Shermans I have to paint. Also tiny infantry is tiny.

Looks great! Getting little monochromatic tanks to look right is surprisingly hard.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Count Thrashula posted:

I ran into it so much when I played Advanced Squad Leader. I'm not going to name him, but there's a guy who runs a pretty big ASL reseller and is known pretty well in the community, and I played in person with him a couple times because he lived near me.

His game room was entirely decked out in SS divisional flags and he had a mannequin dressed in German camo and had an MG42 hanging on the wall. And he has a tattoo of the guy from the cover of the Up Front board game (the uh, SS soldier).

But he was just proud of his German heritage and just had an interest in history, he didn't get why it was so offensive :jerkbag: gently caress that guy. He had an incredible game collection and gaming table and stuff but super wasn't worth it to be around all that.

Edit-- SS divisional emblem dice too, that made me think of it. And all of the super rare black-colored SS game pieces for ASL. And a wall of Panzer models. I could go on but gently caress that guy.

Is it the guy with the german-named website?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is it the guy with the german-named website?

Yup.

Nicest guy in the world but big yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oof.