Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

UncleBlazer posted:

You definitely going? I looked at the line up and thought "maaaaaaaaaybe". Also assumed the Echos and Dust guys weren't interested. May go then.

Almost certainly, now the lineup has improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Tricot are playing. So are Boris.

It's gonna fuckin rule.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

It will rule, but you might run into Porklift so weigh up that risk.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Pork Lift posted:

Tricot are playing. So are Boris.

It's gonna fuckin rule.

Speaking of that, Tricot's new album is out today. Going to sit down and listen now!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

It's a lot more poppy and less mathy, I was disappointed.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

The Physics House Band are good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgLB_t2DcfU

Three Trapped Tigers are good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV-bAH_FOCg

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Read the OP. Is there a summary of why this isn't just called Prog?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Read the OP. Is there a summary of why this isn't just called Prog?

Prog has much more to it than just odd time signatures

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Henchman of Santa posted:

Prog has much more to it than just odd time signatures

Oh. Ohhhhhh. How does a typical math rock song compare to Fracture then? There's surely more to the genre than playing merely in odd metres?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Rust Martialis posted:

Oh. Ohhhhhh. How does a typical math rock song compare to Fracture then? There's surely more to the genre than playing merely in odd metres?

yes

did you try listening to some of the tracks in the thread? the difference is pretty self-evident if you just hear it

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Math is also (generally) way less indulgent than prog. Shorter songs, fewer parts, more punky.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Math is also (generally) way less indulgent than prog. Shorter songs, fewer parts, more punky.

Yeah I listened to the first few songs in the OP and they sound basically like stripped down King Crimson where Fripp and Belew are trading lines in varying metres. The drumming is pretty basic. Again, not really hearing much as complex as say, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum would have done. And Fracture is far more complex than the song's I listened to in the OP and that's early 1970s prog.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Oh and math solos are vanishingly rare. Math is undoubtedly derivative of prog but I think the influence of punk, reduction of ego and economic factors that meant bands couldn't tour with 30 backup musicians and afford every guitarist a rack of studio grade effects sets it apart.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
The new you slut! Er I mean Panji and the Buffalo is pretty good!

https://panjiandthebuffalo.bandcamp.com/album/rare-moves-e-p

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have no idea where to talk about Lightning Bolt but I saw them last night and it was pretty wild. They didn't play on the floor though so I feel like I didn't get the full experience.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

My mates Chiyoda Ku have just put out their first full length and it's ace. I honestly think they're one of the best bands in Britain right now (RIP Cleft) and you should buy their album. You should give them all your money because they recently had the van they were all living in stolen, with basically all their possessions. It's been a super rough year for them and I'm really hoping this album does well, they need it and they deserve it.

doritto
May 12, 2013

What do you guys think of Palm?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVkRynaIqM0

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Sounds like a bunch of ideas played successively instead of doing something with them. The riffs are cool, but the song is meh

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
And So I Watch You From Afar released a new album on Oct 20th, The Endless Shimmering.

Just started listening to it, enjoying it so far.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Harminoff posted:

And So I Watch You From Afar released a new album on Oct 20th, The Endless Shimmering.

Just started listening to it, enjoying it so far.

I think it's their second best album, behind Gangs.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
I recommend car_bomb and Tony danza tapdance extravaganza.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Cymbal Monkey posted:

My mates Chiyoda Ku have just put out their first full length and it's ace. I honestly think they're one of the best bands in Britain right now (RIP Cleft) and you should buy their album. You should give them all your money because they recently had the van they were all living in stolen, with basically all their possessions. It's been a super rough year for them and I'm really hoping this album does well, they need it and they deserve it.

Listened to it, dug it, and bought it. Thanks for introducing them! I’ve been looking for something to fill the Cleft void, and this’ll do nicely for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Cinemechanica remixed and remastered their first LP and it sounds a lot better now that everything isn't so dry (guitars especially). Y'all can listen to the new version on their bandcamp https://cinemechanica.bandcamp.com/

• Locked thread