Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Incidentally, just decided (probably as late as we could have left this decision) we're going to Singapore in September for the grand prix. My wife has been before but I haven't, she says the night safari is cool. What else is fun in Singapore for us to check out while we're there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Can you pick up my luggage please while youre there. They never transferred to the plane

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

Incidentally, just decided (probably as late as we could have left this decision) we're going to Singapore in September for the grand prix. My wife has been before but I haven't, she says the night safari is cool. What else is fun in Singapore for us to check out while we're there?

Pick basically any random food market and you'll be having a good time. My wife and I really enjoyed Universal. You can see the continuing adventures of the Mariner at the Waterworld show!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Pick basically any random food market and you'll be having a good time. My wife and I really enjoyed Universal. You can see the continuing adventures of the Mariner at the Waterworld show!

Assuming it’s the same show I already saw it at the one in LA, but you’re the second person today to recommend Universal so I guess I’ll ask her if she wants to go.

I already plan to eat a bunch while I’m there, the food can’t be famous for nothing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The rollercoasters are legit great at that Universal. I just find the concept of a Waterworld show hilarious even if it has some legit cool stunts.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Qubee posted:

I’m open to all other ideas though, staring at a white wall included.

This is from years ago, so double check it’s even still there, but I remember enjoying the museum of Islamic architecture arts when I was in KL.

e: saddest rhino’s got you; that’s the one I meant. I misremembered because when I was there, the rotating exhibit was the architecture and design of mosques and they had really good models of significant ones from throughout the world, including a really detailed model of some from the Hejaz that you’d never be able to actually see (unless you’re Muslim, obviously)

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 11, 2024

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I do recommend the museum of Islamic arts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHruSLkGxgA

It is the best maintained museum in KL, even besting the national museum. It has regularly great curated exhibits and last year they had a good one on orientalist art

If you wish to go on the bridge of KLCC you would need to book tickets through klook or other sites

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Speaking of KL.. I know one person who lives there but she recently had kids within the past year... what's a good gift to get for her? is there stuff in KL or Malaysia that is hard to get or expensive to import from America? She is not Muslim but from Taiwan and I have read that wine is kind of hard to get in KL, so maybe some wine? The info is kinda dated though so I don't know if that's true now.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Alcohol is easy to get here, it's just expensive because of sin taxes/extra import fees and is also stuck inside a special non-halal section of the store alongside all the pork (which doesn't make it harder to get, mind). In terms of quality or origin maybe aim for European/American wine over Australian, considering that the latter is closer to home for us.

If she has kids, it might be worth bringing some American-sized candy to really wow them.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

They're a year old at best, I think anything will wow them.

Maybe I'll look into getting them a nice wine from Napa Valley then. I actually don't know if she or her husband drinks (or if he might be Muslim) so I'll probably have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Atlas Hugged posted:

The rollercoasters are legit great at that Universal. I just find the concept of a Waterworld show hilarious even if it has some legit cool stunts.

The one in Beijing also has a Waterworld water show. Sounds ridiculous, but actually a lot of fun, especially on a sweltering summer day.

Transformers coaster is also extremely dope and worth going on five times in a row just as the park is about to close.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
I posted a while back for food recommendations in Bangkok and like a dick ended up not going to any of them (sorry!). We were only there a couple of days before going to Laos, Cambodia and now Vietnam. Thailand aside I last visited these countries 10 years ago just before I met my wife and it's been nice to revisit my favourite places with her, see her fall in love with them too, and see how things have changed. Like Luang Prabang having masses of Chinese tourists from the new train line, and the money pumped into tourism in Siem Reap with the fancy airport and the road to Angkor Wat being all clean and tidy with fancy hotels and cycle lanes on either side.

Unfortunately we haven't had time to go properly off the beaten track but the slightly quieter places we've squeezed in like Nong Khiaw, Battambang and Da Lat have been real highlights.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a store similar to Microcentre in Malaysia? I thought of getting some electronics whilst there and bringing them back since they're way more expensive where I live. Not sure what to search on Google maps.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Qubee posted:

Is there a store similar to Microcentre in Malaysia? I thought of getting some electronics whilst there and bringing them back since they're way more expensive where I live. Not sure what to search on Google maps.

C-Zone for smaller more personal stores, All-IT for big ones. I'm honestly not much of a hardware guy though, tbh.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Qubee posted:

Plaza Low Yat if you're in Kuala Lumpur, IT Mall if you're in Petaling Jaya. Both have the stores Ibblebibble mentioned

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Plaza Low Yat if you're in Kuala Lumpur, IT Mall if you're in Petaling Jaya. Both have the stores Ibblebibble mentioned

Both recommendations above were great, had all my electronically needs there. Unfortunately the specific thing I'm looking for is only available online and won't be delivered in time.

Also, how the hell do people survive with this humidity? It's absolutely horrific. I'm showering multiple times a day. Genting Highlands is the first time I've felt comfortable since landing lol

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
You grow up with it so it’s normal. On the plus side it’s really hard to get a heat stroke and you can go out all day. Or you just stay indoors during the day and head out during the evenings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Pretty much. Some people are just naturally more able to cope with hot climates and humidity, it doesn't bother me much when we visit SE Asia but my partner and kid really seem to struggle with it. That being said, the cold cuts right into me!