Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Roadie posted:

The secret to understanding Pathfinder 1e's alchemist is that it's actually three different half-a-classes roughly stapled together. It's much easier to wrap your head around it when you use an archetype that swaps one of the halves to something that actually complements the other two halves, like Vivisectionist replacing bombs with stuff that actually synergizes with mutagen or grenadier replacing the poison stuff with abilities that actually synergize with bombs.

Interesting. That does make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Speaking of which, I've settled on the fermenter archetype for my alchemist as my character is supposed to develop into a paragon of gluttony with access to mythic tiers and +2 to all ability scores later on if I maintain non sobriety or regularly indulge in fine food, drink, etc. The archetype has a lot of mitigation against addiction which helps out with this. Even so, does anyone know of a alcohol intoxication rules that aren't so unrealistically punitive? (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/drinking-rules) https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/drugs/#Addiction) It seems this and the addiction rules were written without considering the other. I feel like this is another thing I'll need to develop with the DM.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 20, 2022

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

the addiction rules are insanely stupid and I’d say just rp it honestly. It sounds like it’s sorta in character so why not just roll with it?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

sugar free jazz posted:

the addiction rules are insanely stupid and I’d say just rp it honestly. It sounds like it’s sorta in character so why not just roll with it?

Yeah I came to this realization and almost deleted the post for being unnecessary. Especially since I've been trying to break free of my habit to minimax and embrace a more casual mindset towards play (and maybe appreciate roleplay more.) As an alchemist I'll have plenty of means with dealing with the downsides by the time it gets extreme. Thank you for the insight.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 20, 2022

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It's a shame that the boons from deific obedience kick in so incredibly late; Mahathallah's third born for the exalted path makes you totally immune to drug addiction, but not until level 20. Also, well, it's Mahathallah, which comes with its own problems (although her obedience is one of the easier ones).

That said yeah I agree with sugar free jazz.

e: comedy answer is to buy a bunch of wands of Polypurpose Panacea so you can spend every waking moment intoxicated with no risk of addiction

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 20, 2022

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
My DM has told me that Prof(Merchant) will net a significant monetary advantage if I commit to maxing it. This is good because I anticipate the food and drug costs my character will accrue will be significant. I've decided to take clever wordplay for diplomacy and plenty of sense motive as well to make a savvy businessman. We already have a face character in our false priest sorcerer so everything's covered otherwise, but I don't want to lean on the veteran PC party member who's a paragon of pride and may demand generous sums from my character to be a face for my business. I know this is very DM and campaign specific: but a max rank diplomacy score with half ranked sense motive and max rank appraise should be good if I'm a knowledgeable but mostly honest (my investigator cohort will be the more ruthless face of my business) trader, right?

I ask all this because I've never leaned into being social with my prior characters. I anticipate a lot of notetaking on all my important interactions.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 6, 2022

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
ed:oops

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Maxing out Appraisal is pointless because the DCs only go up to 30, even for really exotic stuff. And as soon as you've got the money for an item of true appraisal at will, you've got another +5 and can take 10 all the time, so the maximum base bonus you actually need is only +15 to succeed at all Appraise checks forever.

This only changes if you take the Signature Skill feat for it, and you shouldn't because that only gives you the kinds of benefits you can get from cheap low-level magic items too.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Roadie posted:

Maxing out Appraisal is pointless because the DCs only go up to 30, even for really exotic stuff. And as soon as you've got the money for an item of true appraisal at will, you've got another +5 and can take 10 all the time, so the maximum base bonus you actually need is only +15 to succeed at all Appraise checks forever.

This only changes if you take the Signature Skill feat for it, and you shouldn't because that only gives you the kinds of benefits you can get from cheap low-level magic items too.

Thank you, that should free up some linguistics points and 1 rank skills or me. Agreed on the signature skill. I want to take that feat for perception eventually.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lamebot posted:

This is good because I anticipate the food and drug costs my character will accrue will be significant.

"Significant" by what standard? Keep in mind that the expected wealth of, say, a 10th-level PC is 62,000 gp.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Roadie posted:

"Significant" by what standard? Keep in mind that the expected wealth of, say, a 10th-level PC is 62,000 gp.

If anything it's to try and get ahead of what I think will be a low wealth campaign based on what I experienced in his prior campaign years ago(another player's VoP druid no selling everything while the other party members struggled. I was a 3.5 martial :cry:). He did lay out some homebrew traits that buff producing wealth via craft and profession plus his suggestion that there will be plenty of adventure downtime and I'm jumping on that with the alchemy craft character I've always wanted to make.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
lol Vow of Poverty Druid in a low wealth game. Your DM is a monster

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
With the release of the Shifter DLC for the Wrath of the Righteous CRPG I am once again tempted to homebrew Shifter again. Taking some ideas from stuff people mentioned back in the day, and also some of the changes Owlcat made, and some of my own ideas. Making Aspects at will but since it isn't a CRPG I kind of want to give some movement options to Aspects but I am having trouble thinking what kind of ranges I should put. Since Horse improves land speed by 5, 10 or 15 ft I am wondering if I should even give a Swim or Fly speed greater than 45 ft. Could possibly do something like 30, 45, 60 or 30, 60, 90 but if I did that I feel like Horse should be improved beyond the +5/10/15.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Ryuujin posted:

With the release of the Shifter DLC for the Wrath of the Righteous CRPG I am once again tempted to homebrew Shifter again. Taking some ideas from stuff people mentioned back in the day, and also some of the changes Owlcat made, and some of my own ideas. Making Aspects at will but since it isn't a CRPG I kind of want to give some movement options to Aspects but I am having trouble thinking what kind of ranges I should put. Since Horse improves land speed by 5, 10 or 15 ft I am wondering if I should even give a Swim or Fly speed greater than 45 ft. Could possibly do something like 30, 45, 60 or 30, 60, 90 but if I did that I feel like Horse should be improved beyond the +5/10/15.

I just use the Legendary Games' version, the, uh, Legendary Shifter. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/232988

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I didn't find the shifter that bad aside from the aspects being short-time throws a lot of wrenches in things (especially since enhancement bonuses live there) and the weird limitations baked into the greater aspects. The alternate natural attack options and, for people who wanted more flexibility, the Adaptive Shifter archetype, fixed some of the other issues pretty well I thought.

Yeah, just straight-up copying the aspects from the Hunter and keying the Wild Shape entirely to it are probably the biggest issues with it...

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I'm currently trying to figure out a good way to hide an object of power for my character in Pathfinder 1e. It doesn't function if hidden on another plane and fully empowers me and my organization if stored in my home. I'm currently planning on having several red herring hiding spots in the home. A few dumb waiters will be in the house, but one will have a door between floors to a secret compartment. I'll also have a normal character sized vault room in my basement for a bulk of my stuff. The real hiding spot will be a lead lined vent that originates from from my alchemy lab/study that doesn't go anywhere except a lead lined compartment, but the kitchen vent will have stacks above the la to throw things off (i'll just vent my crap through a barred open window!). My character is pretty much a climbing master and can shift to tiny so I'll adapt the vent and dumb waiter access to that. One vent will will be above the lab and one above the kitchen. I'm not good at this stuff, point out obvious flaws. I don't expect to stop any prepared incursions from groups with spell casters unless my cohort and followers get them. my PC is small or tiny on a good day and can climb anything.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Next game is Strange Aeons. What's a good class for this? I read the player's guide and like they suggest maybe 50 classes which is cool but too much to drill down on something. The one thing I noticed is it does seem to steer away from core classes (superstitious barbarian is the only shoutout and I'm not 100% sure I'm down to do the tank thing), any reason?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Rick posted:

Next game is Strange Aeons. What's a good class for this? I read the player's guide and like they suggest maybe 50 classes which is cool but too much to drill down on something. The one thing I noticed is it does seem to steer away from core classes (superstitious barbarian is the only shoutout and I'm not 100% sure I'm down to do the tank thing), any reason?"

I haven't read the Strange Aeons player's guide in a while, but I have two main thoughts:

1) Occult Adventures introduced a bunch of classes relatively recently that directly tie into the thematics of the adventure path, so naturally they'd want to call attention to them.

2) The core classes just... don't have a lot to mention in this context? What are you going to say about Fighters that isn't "you'll probably need someone who can stab things"? I guess it's a bit weird that there aren't any notes on which bloodlines are most thematically relevant, but you get the point. There's just a lot of classes in Pathfinder 1e, especially at the point when Strange Aeons was released.

(Okay, that second point is a bit weird when they released options for some core classes in Horror Adventures, but you get the point. There's a lot of classes to mention and only so much room.)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That makes sense, there was actually a bloodline section for sorcerers that I remember now that you mention it.

I might just be used to the older ones from back when there were only a few classes and very few official archetypes and they could devote a paragraph to how the townsfolk would be scared shitless of an eidelon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Lamebot posted:

I'm currently trying to figure out a good way to hide an object of power for my character in Pathfinder 1e. It doesn't function if hidden on another plane and fully empowers me and my organization if stored in my home. I'm currently planning on having several red herring hiding spots in the home. A few dumb waiters will be in the house, but one will have a door between floors to a secret compartment. I'll also have a normal character sized vault room in my basement for a bulk of my stuff. The real hiding spot will be a lead lined vent that originates from from my alchemy lab/study that doesn't go anywhere except a lead lined compartment, but the kitchen vent will have stacks above the la to throw things off (i'll just vent my crap through a barred open window!). My character is pretty much a climbing master and can shift to tiny so I'll adapt the vent and dumb waiter access to that. One vent will will be above the lab and one above the kitchen. I'm not good at this stuff, point out obvious flaws. I don't expect to stop any prepared incursions from groups with spell casters unless my cohort and followers get them. my PC is small or tiny on a good day and can climb anything.

what if people notice that you're venting stuff through a window and then get inside and wonder what the vents are for