Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Blitter posted:

Shamelessly reposting from the OSHA thread:

:eyepop:

That nose-gear does double duty as one of four wheels on every loving shopping cart I've ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looks like there might also have been a prop strike on the starboard side?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
dogged determination to call into question the adage about landings and walking away from them

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Boom Supersonic authorized to make supersonic booms

The FAA has granted Boom approval to make up to 20 supersonic flights in the next year. The flights are only authorized for the Black Mountain Supersonic Corridor in Mojave, California.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In case anyone is curious

quote:

6.3. Black Mountain Supersonic Corridor. 8 NM wide, 500' AGL to unlimited. Supersonic flight is authorized: above FL300 within W117-57’ to W 117-45; 10,000’ MSL to unlimited between W 117-45 to
Hwy 395; 500’ AGL to unlimited between Hwy 395 to W 116-49. There is a small circular extension 9.5
NMR of N35-10.9/ W 117-09, NE of Harpers for supersonic turns or maneuvers. The southern limit of the keyhole is N 35-01.9’. Minimum altitude is 500’ AGL for supersonic flight below 10,000’ MSL east of HWY 395 to the boundary.

https://www.edwards.af.mil/Portals/50/R-2515%2520Airspace%2520Handbook_Jan%25202021.pdf

https://www.edwards.af.mil/Portals/...Nurd6sK3wLZSHaR

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I get 404'd with those links, but I found this to give some perspective

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the supercruise began to take hold. I remember saying something like “I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should fly…” And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the plane, which was going about a thousand miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You shouldn't go 1000mph with the top down

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Just need to make some sextant shots.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Platystemon posted:

Just need to make some sextant shots.

we can't sight here. this is bat country

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Once you get into locked a serious airworthiness directive collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bentai posted:

Looks like there might also have been a prop strike on the starboard side?

It was near to us when it happened and our chief pilot called us in to discuss how we could avoid doing this to our planes. I believe it was, in fact, a prop strike on both sides.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

There are good prop strikes on both sides

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I'm headed to Hiller Aviation Museum tomorrow with

Wife
Mother in Law
5yo nephew
3.5yo daughter
2.25yo nephew (who only speaks one word: helicopter)

Any suggestions? It's supposed to rain like hell tomorrow so indoor air museum seems like a good choice

Also suggestions for aerospace geek

Yeah, bring a 13/16" wrench and 7/8" plug socket and steal all the sparkplugs you can out of every Franklin you see - Champion put the price on my plugs up to $108 per plug. Points added for the price matching the model of the airplane, minus a lot of points for there being A DOZEN sparkplugs at $108 each.

Buy an airplane, they said. It'll be fun, they said. :shepspends:

But in all seriousness, it's a great little museum. Seconding the 747 nose demo, it's a great time and they usually have a nice docent in there to explain it all. Lots of weird helicopters, too.

charliemonster42 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 19, 2024

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
United: We're committed to safety.

Also United: What's Aeroflot 593?

https://twitter.com/RalphatTahoe/status/1780410755554439569

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Zero One posted:

United: We're committed to safety.

Also United: What's Aeroflot 593?

https://twitter.com/RalphatTahoe/status/1780410755554439569

Oh no he sat in a chair!!!!!! Aeronautical Insanity!!!!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

CarForumPoster posted:

Aeroflot 593 killed 75 people because the pilot let a non-pilot sit in their seat during cruise. The non-pilot (a 15 year old boy) accidentally turned off the autopilot and the plane crashed.

At the very least this is against the United Airlines rules and is probably also a violation of FAA regulations.

It's a very stupid decision (you might even call it Aeronautical Insanity) from a crew that probably will need to find a new line of work soon.

quote:

The Federal Aviation Administration and United Airlines are investigating after a video surfaced showing an unauthorized person in the pilot’s seat during a flight chartered by the Colorado Rockies baseball team earlier this month.

United Airlines said it removed at least two of its pilots from the job in response to the incident, which took place on April 10 on a flight from Denver to Toronto.

“We’re deeply disturbed by what we see in that video, which appears to show an unauthorized person in the flight deck at cruise altitude while the autopilot was engaged,” United Airlines said in a statement.

“As a clear violation of our safety and operational policies, we’ve reported the incident to the FAA and have withheld the pilots from service while we conduct an investigation.”

The FAA has opened an investigation into the incident and told CNN it will “not comment on the details of open investigations.”

“Federal regulations restrict flight deck access to specific individuals,” the FAA said.

CNN has reached out to the Colorado Rockies.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/18/sport/colorado-rockies-united-airlines-flight-unauthorized-person-cockpit/index.html

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 19, 2024

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Zero One posted:

Aeroflot 593 killed 75 people because the pilot let a non-pilot sit in their seat during cruise. The non-pilot (a 15 year old boy) accidentally turned off the autopilot and the plane crashed.

At the very least this is against the United Airlines rules and is probably also a violation of FAA regulations.

It's a very stupid decision (you might even call it Aeronautical Insanity) from a crew that probably will need to find a new line of work soon.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/18/sport/colorado-rockies-united-airlines-flight-unauthorized-person-cockpit/index.html

Welp color me wrong

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zero One posted:

On the surface (no pun intended) it seems like there's plenty of altitude to correct the issue and even if you can't reenable the auto pilot, they'd be able to physically pull the kid out of the seat and recover from a dive in the time it takes to go from FL350 to FL50? Were they flying through the mountains at the time

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Hadlock posted:

On the surface (no pun intended) it seems like there's plenty of altitude to correct the issue and even if you can't reenable the auto pilot, they'd be able to physically pull the kid out of the seat and recover from a dive in the time it takes to go from FL350 to FL50? Were they flying through the mountains at the time
I believe it was “didn’t realize the autopilot was off, got slow, stalled, didn’t recover from stall”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hadlock posted:

They were at FL330 and the mountain range they bashed in to has about 7500 foot highest point. They crashed a perfectly good airplane that would have fixed itself.

quote:

While seated at the controls, the pilot's son had unknowingly partially disengaged the A310's autopilot control of the aircraft's ailerons. The autopilot then disengaged completely, causing the aircraft to roll into a steep bank and a near-vertical dive. Despite managing to level the aircraft, the first officer over-corrected when pulling up, causing the plane to stall and enter into a spin; the pilots managed to level the aircraft off once more, but the plane had descended beyond a safe altitude to initiate a recovery and subsequently crashed into the mountain range.

Despite the struggles of both pilots to save the aircraft, it was later concluded that if they had simply let go of the control column after the first spin, aerodynamic principles would have caused the plane to return to level flight, thus preventing the crash.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

CarForumPoster posted:

there is not a thing to be gained from letting a non-crew member sit in front of flight controls, and a lot to be lost, safety wise. this is before considering the legal issues at stake

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

It’s still legally a part 121 flight no different from any other revenue leg. This has very serious implications for the flight crew’s and United’s certificates.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.547

Like, it’s very possible the CA and FO lose their ATPs here isn’t it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Everyone’s a model airman till the Pope shows up.

quote:

Reminds me of this instance a few years ago where the pope was let into an AA 777 cockpit for essentially a photoshoot mid flight. I actually met one of the pilots on that flight and he said it was against SOPs but the pope’s translator/aid asked if they could come up to see the flight deck and they all were like “a quick peek from the jumpseat won’t hurt. What are we gonna do, turn down the pope?”

That’s when he said he noticed the pope’s cameraman taking video and figured he was screwed, and then he saw the same video on CNN later that evening and KNEW he was screwed. He and the rest of the crew got a call from the chief pilot but filed ASAP reports and essentially just got told “don’t do it again” a pretty wild but interesting story.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Everyone’s a model airman till the Pope shows up.

God is my co-pilot and has terrible CRM

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tbh is there anything “the vicar of Christ asked” wouldn’t get you out of trouble for?

I suppose it might be a problem if you worked for BA…

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Depends if someone sufficiently up the chain from you is Catholic or not I figure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

I heard a story from a psychiatrist in training at a hospital in Australia, having a patient exclaim that the Pope was walking around outside.

Turns out that it really was him.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

On an ST I feel like the more appropriate sticker would be something like “gently caress the synchros, Fly Navy”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Only those with small equipment.