Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gaspy Conana posted:

i'm in the mood for some silly wacky prog. like, good natured silly. (no Zappa, sorry)

either musical or lyrical playfulness or both could work. Canterbury and bands like Gong/Caravan come to mind, as does early Spock's Beard. any other suggestions?

Aphrodite's Child are absurd, if that counts. You're starting from the premise of "what if Vangelis formed a prog band with Demis Roussos on vocals" and moving on from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

i'm in the mood for some silly wacky prog. like, good natured silly. (no Zappa, sorry)

either musical or lyrical playfulness or both could work. Canterbury and bands like Gong/Caravan come to mind, as does early Spock's Beard. any other suggestions?

ayreon has some really fun campy stuff especially Transitus

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

excellent avatar

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Gaspy Conana posted:

Haken has a few jaunty lil tunes, here's Cockroach King https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7wwYmgQAmY

and Elephants Never Forget https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnHfYwuBuU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
aw yeah tons of good stuff, thanks y'all. this genre has a reputation for stodginess/pretentiousness but it clearly has plenty of levity too

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Nektar are pretty silly most of the time I feel

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JAMOOOL posted:

Nektar are pretty silly most of the time I feel

Nektar are awesome, hell yeah.

Add Eloy (Dawn and Ocean albums) and early Premiata Forneria Marconi to that list

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
On the more bombastic or discordant side you get stuff like Estradasphere, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Major Parkinson, Thank You Scientist, Man Man

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TYS rules, they used to play shows in my basement like 15 years ago

closest way I can describe them is if the Rx Bandits and Coheed & Cambria had a baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxzSGMYogow

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

closest way I can describe them is if the Rx Bandits and Coheed & Cambria had a baby

They were a local band when I first got into my college's radio station (I hosted a prog show at the time). Me being a total novice at setting up appearances / interviews went from initially asking for a simple phone interview. They accepted, but I got too power hungry with it and threw the idea around of them coming into the studio in person and performing live.

Few days later got an email saying one of the members' cat needed to be rushed to the vet so they couldn't come in. Band ghosted me after that lol

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 26, 2024

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wait where was this lol

Please tell me you dj'ed on SOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Plugging friends of mine, Halmstad, Sweden-based Isildurs Bane have a new album out The Pearl of Ever-Changing Shell with Jinian Wilde singing vocals.

https://isildursbane.bandcamp.com/album/the-pearl-of-ever-changing-shell

A slightly older song with IB and Steve Hogarth singing, Peripheral Vision

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 26, 2024

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

wait where was this lol

Please tell me you dj'ed on SOU

WMSC. Half the group's from Montclair which makes it worse.

Still have a show there btw but it's more of a freeform thing now.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

huh, you know I've always been so devoted to WSOU i've actually never tuned into WMSC. I'm not even sure it comes in up here (Bergen county), I barely get SOU half the time.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

huh, you know I've always been so devoted to WSOU i've actually never tuned into WMSC. I'm not even sure it comes in up here (Bergen county), I barely get SOU half the time.

Yeah our signal dies after like 5 miles, so unless it's through the website or the iHeart app it ain't happening.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Still kinda curious what's going to happen to them now that the singer left (evidently because he didn't like touring).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IIRC the main creative force is the guitarist anyway so I'm not *super* worried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

if the Rx Bandits and Coheed & Cambria had a baby

Yup that’s a good way to sell them. Added the first album to my queue.