Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I reread the first two books of the latest trilogy before the last book came out and they’re good but they are also a promise of something the final one doesn’t deliver. Whereas Last Argument of Kings definitely delivered on what the first two books promised.

Abercrombie is better at shaping books because each of the first two is more satisfying than the individual books of the first trilogy were but he didn’t have as good an idea of what he wanted to do with the final book so the trilogy as a whole is weaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I really think there was a magic plotline that got cut in TWoC. The first two books have too many random characters making too many references to the House of the Maker opening but in the third book I don't think anyone mentions it except as a landmark.

Also, I think Vic oversells Glotka's plot as brilliant 3d chess and it left me looking for more connections than there really were. Glotka's plan was fine, but all it was was controlled opposition left to run wild as a distraction while the Inquisition purged the bank. The impression is that Pike had an army of practicals hanging out and ready to end Burners whenever he wanted to and the Terror only happened because they couldn't get the vault open before Risinau ran out of steam.

That's unsatisfying to me because there's nothing on the page indicating that Bayazites were resisting, or even existed to resist. It seems like a lot of unnecessary kidney punches to the nation state that he plans to resurrect not to mention extreme personal risk to his daughter.

My biggest disappointment on my reread though is Orso's escape being a poo poo show premised upon everyone becoming incompetent. Savine and Vic together are ostensibly a dream team of intrigue and influence with the tacit support of the Inquisition. It makes no sense to break Orso out without a plan to get him out of the city.

Yeah, agree with a lot of this.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I've been watching The Last Kingdom recently and while I think it's a series that anyone who is a fan of Abercrombie's works would enjoy, it also has Simon Kunz as the perfect Bayaz.

quick file upload

I've heard Graham McTavish as a possible perfect casting for Bayaz before, but I think this guy's acting is a cut above. He can't play as commanding as Bayaz in The Last Kingdom since his role as Odda is an advisor to a king who is actually just an advisor and not a puppetmaster, but it's almost there.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
This may be old news but it looks like we're getting new short stories in a few days?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

This may be old news but it looks like we're getting new short stories in a few days?

oh hell yes

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Hell yeah

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress yeah. I loved Sharp Ends.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Shame the stories are only like 15 pages each

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that was good but also short as gently caress, dang.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I was watching a roundtable discussion with Succession's British writing staff and realized how much The Age of Madness characters remind me of the cast of Succession. Leo is Tom, Savine is Shiv, Orso is Kendall, and Bayaz is of course Logan. Not quite 1 to 1 but close enough to comment on.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Progress Report February ’24

Always appreciate insight into his process.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Looking forward to reading The Devils. As for the film, I hope it does get shot and released one day but considering the state of the industry, upcoming potential IATSE labor action, etc, I’m not holding my breath. I work in vfx and the downturn in the industry over the past year as well as the extremely uncertain future due to AI and reduced budgets and consolidation has driven a few of my colleagues to homelessness and even a couple to suicide. Film is in a bad place.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Threads like these always appreciate newbies so Hello, I am a newbie roughly 60% through The Blade Itself. (I have read the Shattered Sea YA trilogy previously, enjoyed it but wanted less YA and more "Yer completely hosed, 'Arry" type writing.)

So, where I have left it is Jezal dan Luther just realised he like likes Ardee* ("poo poo"), Logen and Brother Longfoot are to the docks to secure a ship for Bayez, Ferro just encountered two Eaters and Glokta just took an ancient scroll from the science college.

*Ardee is also the name of a town in County Louth in Ireland with a pronounced accent even for here so her name has unintentional giggles for me.

Best character thus far is easily Glokta, I dig his backstory and his bit about hating stairs hits home as I hosed my back recently and yep, same here. The Union is top heavy with idiots (including Glokta) who do not understand the basics of leadership and just seem to think every day is white boy day and it very obviously isn't.

Everyone seems to think Bayez is a good guy despite the fact he never said he was and he is pretty obviously looking to claim that favour he's owed. I have the other two books so I can rattle through them and will keep you updated. That said, I am gonna bow out of the thread because spoilers et cetera.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
You'll see...

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Glokta and Shivers are my favourite characters. Halfway through Best Served Cold and holy poo poo-

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Monica Bellucci posted:

Best character thus far is easily Glokta, I dig his backstory and his bit about hating stairs hits home as I hosed my back recently and yep, same here.

Funny thing, that. Back pain is exactly what inspired Glokta. See Joe's answer to question 5

Also drat, looking back at his blogging and old Twitter feed makes me wish he was posting somewhere still these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Xenix posted:

Funny thing, that. Back pain is exactly what inspired Glokta. See Joe's answer to question 5

Also drat, looking back at his blogging and old Twitter feed makes me wish he was posting somewhere still these days.

Huh, small world sometimes. So that's me done with the first book and I have now met Bloody Nine. Oddly not a big fan despite being that angry once or twice, you really do not notice damage except as a force that hits you broad or slim and you are supercharged strength-wise for a bit. Still digging the poo poo out of Glokta and I expect the Union to get cockstomped by Bethod's lot up to Bethod doing some dumb poo poo that gets him cockstomped back. Stupidity is universal.

I actually was not expecting a Fellowship of the Ring type quest and the House of the Over-arching Plot was kinda fun except I am utterly unconvinced Bayez is Bayez necessarily, just hid him self long ago under that name or took it over or something.

I enjoyed it mightily and will get stuck into the next one tomorrow after some shopping and what not.