Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
I view "that sounds neat, now it's your job tell me more about it" as a perfectly valid choosing philosophy.

Heavy Metal posted:

That's fun to hear about your cat!

Aha I'm glad you enjoyed that, here are some pics of him. I promise to include more cat facts when relevant to my assigned movie.

Zogo posted:

Empire of the Sun - Never got around to seeing all of this one. 1/16/24

"All of this one" implies that you've seen part of it, and I know I personally hate when I leave something interesting half watched for whatever reason.

15. Wavelength dir. Michael Snow (1967)

The kind of thing where I feel like you both need to be really knowledgeable about film history and the context this exists in to write about it intelligently, but also all you really need to "get it" is to just watch the thing, it's very direct in what it's doing. A really pure expression of some of my favorite things in film being pushed to their limits: a clear formal conceit used as a jumping off point, a shot that begin in one clear composition that shifts into several very different compositions naturally over time, a very threadbare plot that leaves a lot for the viewer to connect, communicating events through very naturalistic off screen sound when the rising tone isn't being used. The images are quite beautiful in their simplicity: the exposure changes and shows differences in how light is shining into the room and how visible the outside street scene is compared to the interior, the yellow chair eventually becomes more and more prominent as a spot of bright color in the earth tones of the apartment, the signs on the other side of the street are distorted slightly by the old glass of the windows, and at the end the waves in the photo are like being in a whole new place. If you're gonna watch I recommend the HD copy currently on the internet archive, which is a lot better than the most common version that's been floating around online for a while. I found watching it be more immediately engrossing than honestly anything else I've watched in a while, not that I've been on a cold streak or anything like that, it just shows the value of intentionally using duration this way. When a film so strongly announces "this is going to take its time" a viewer can either get with the program and settle in or just give up.

My List -
Ownership Shame:
1. A Room in Town (1982) - The last film to watch from my Jacques Demy criterion set - 1/14/24
4. Murs Murs (1981) - Never met a Varda I didn't like - 1/14/24
5. The Round-Up (1966) - Got this (and The Red and the White) to fill out an order from Kino Lorber, have been interested in Jansco for a while but never tried - 1/14/24
6. Revenge (1990) - From one of the World Cinema Sets I own - 1/14/24
14. The Baron of Arizona (1950) - Sam Peckinpah directing a western with Vincent Price, what's not to like - 2/8/24
16. Alice (1988) - I have this on a DVD I stole from netflix. - 3/4/24
Other:
7. Coeur Fidele (1923) - A french silent from a filmmaker I've liked several shorts from - 1/14/24
9. High School (1969) - I've seen several of Frederick Wiseman's films and liked them a lot, but he has so many it's kind of daunting to pick one specifically to watch. So do it for me! - 1/14/24
17. A New Leaf (1971) - I love Mikey and Nicky, I figure it's about time I got to seeing Elaine May's other films - 3/4/24
18. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) The first is one of my all time favorites and this has Dennis Hopper, but I guess its kinda mixed reputation has scared me off for a while - 3/13/24

Deshamed (8): Far From Heaven (2002), To Die For (1995), Two-Lane Blacktop (1971), The Night of the Hunted (1980), A Woman Under the Influence (1974), Legend of the Mountain (1979), Ran (1985), Wavelength (1967)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Scones are Good posted:

Aha I'm glad you enjoyed that, here are some pics of him. I promise to include more cat facts when relevant to my assigned movie.

Nice! I've got a black cat too, Sara, keeping it dark magic folks.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Scones are Good posted:

"All of this one" implies that you've seen part of it, and I know I personally hate when I leave something interesting half watched for whatever reason.

It's one of those films I partially watched at school on an old CRT TV. Teachers were always showing parts of films on VHS back then. Never the ideal viewing experience.

Heavy Metal posted:

Nice! I've got a black cat too, Sara, keeping it dark magic folks.

That makes three of us.

SHAMEFUL: Everyone ITT owns a black cat.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hear hear!

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
Next Halloween we'll have to designate this thread as an official witches' coven

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

SHAMEFUL: Everyone ITT owns a black cat.

My mom has exclusively gone with black cats for probably a good 25 years now. She's currently got three. (Incidentally she's also largely responsible for my love of horror movies.)

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Scones are Good posted:

16. Alice (1988) - I have this on a DVD I stole from netflix. - 3/4/24

This is kicking around my watchlist, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Watched The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

This historical drama follows a very discrete period of time in the life of Joan of Arc, namely her heresy trial and execution. We're getting far back enough in film history where I'm very uneducated. The number of silent films I've seen is in the single digits, and this is the eighth oldest film logged on my Letterboxd. Despite my inexperience, I was engaged right away and it was immediately clear why this is still so revered. The style is immediately gripping, with a reliance on extreme close-ups of Joan and her judges. The intensity of emotion, particularly from the all-timer performance by Maria Falconetti as Joan, is overwhelming but effective. It's also against the backdrop of oddly expressionistic sets, and feels extremely claustrophobic. Later in the film, when Joan is executed and the crowd riots, there are even some precursors to extremely modern techniques like shaky cam and POV shots. I was also extremely impressed at how despite this being such a dialogue-heavy premise--it's essentially a courtroom drama for most of the runtime--the reliance on title cards didn't hinder it at all. Historical dramas and silent films are never at the top of my list, but this was superb. It was also my first Dreyer film, although I've got Vampyr waiting in the wings for a future horror challenge. That just jumped way up the list.

LIST OF SHAME:
19. True Stories (1986) (added 09-30-22): I've been a diehard Talking Heads fan for almost as long as I've followed pop music, but I've never seen this musical comedy, David Byrne's sole directorial credit for a feature film.
21. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) (added 04-03-23): A big influence on my favorite film, The Royal Tenenbaums.
26. Night on Earth (1991) (added 08-20-23): The only Jarmusch I haven't seen (aside from the music docs).
27. The New World (2005) (added 09-01-23): The biggest gap in my Terrence Malick viewing.
30. McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971) (added 11-26-23): Filling in some gaps regarding my Altman knowledge.
31. Belle de Jour (1967) (added 12-07-23): Perhaps a bit more of a conventional narrative than I'm used to from Buñuel.
33. The Apartment (1960) (added 01-15-24): Getting some Billy Wilder into the rotation.
34. Laura (1944) (added 02-08-24): Adding a little film noir to the mix.
35. Rio Bravo (1959) (added 03-03-24): I'll take a recommendation from John Carpenter any day.
(and introducing...)
36. Face/Off (1997) (added 03-14-24): I love Nic Cage and I've never seen a John Woo movie.

SHAME OVERCOME (26 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985); Purple Rain (1984); Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939); M (1931); Planet of the Apes (1968); The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957); Brokeback Mountain (2005); Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989); A Streetcar Named Desire (1951); Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957); Godzilla (1954); The Iron Giant (1999); Tokyo Story (1953); A Woman Under the Influence (1974); The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

30. McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971) (added 11-26-23): Filling in some gaps regarding my Altman knowledge.

"That man never killed anybody."

Empire of the Sun - The year is 1941 and there's a lot of uncertainty as the Japanese are poised to invade Shanghai and China at-large. When it finally happens there's a lot of chaos as ominous music plays. It feels like a colonialist reckoning in some respects as many of the British end up in camps. It focuses on a spoiled and privileged kid (Christian Bale) who deals with abandonment. It's a well made story about coming of age under bad circumstances. The childhood naivete reminded me of what's found in In the Heat of the Sun (1994).

This is one of those films I could write pages about as it covers so many topics and has other interesting characters too. But I'll just leave a couple of clips that convey a little of what the film is like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXn1ExX1BZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4HWrKafoSI

James Bond versus Godzilla (51/66 completed):

Hesitation (161 completed):

#158 Running on Empty - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFQKvtbD6Kw 11/8/23

#160 The Spider's Stratagem - A political mystery from Bernardo Bertolucci. 11/20/23

#161 An Actor's Revenge - This one gets glowing reviews from the critics but doesn't get mentioned that often. 11/27/23

#165 The Ballad of Cable Hogue - I've heard that it's an unconventional Western. 3/9/24

#166 The Turning Point - This was nominated for eleven Oscars but won zero. It shares that record with The Color Purple. 3/9/24

new #167 Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea - This one seems like it has a unique story. 3/17/24

The Ringer's 50 Best Cult Movies (49/50 completed):

Mr. Showbiz's Readers' Picks: The 100 Best Movies of All Time (99/100 completed):

Spike Lee's 95 Essential Films (87/95 completed):

Miracle in Milan - It sounds like a special comedy. 2/5/24

Black Rain - Not to be confused with the Ridley Scott film (which shares the same title and same release year). 2/11/24

The Train - Sounds similar to The Monuments Men. 2/24/24

Love and Anarchy - Another film from Lina Wertmüller. 3/2/24

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

new #167 Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea - This one seems like it has a unique story. 3/17/24

Here's another one on my own watchlist, let me know what you think.

Watched McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)

"McCabe, I'm here to tell you that this free enterprise system of ours works. And working within it, we can protect the small businessman and the big businessman as well."

"Well, I just didn't want to get killed."

When gambler and entrepreneur John McCabe (Warren Beatty) shows up at Presbyterian Church, Washington, it's still only the dream of a mining boomtown. The titular church is the only building, surrounded by tents and wooden frames. One of the next buildings to go up is the brothel he starts, and soon Mrs. Miller (Julie Christie), a more experienced, ahem, proprietor, shows up to assert herself into a business partnership. Then a big mining company shows up to buy them out, McCabe overplays his hand in the negotiations, and it's clear big capitalism's counter-offer is a bullet. When it comes to Robert Altman, I think 3 Women is a masterpiece, but that one kind of stands alone and none of his other films have hit me the same way. McCabe & Mrs. Miller didn't hit those heights, but could be my runner-up. McCabe has perhaps more ambition than business sense, and McCabe is too world-weary to truly keep him on track. There's a sense of inevitability throughout most of the story. McCabe and Mrs. Miller barely have time to enjoy their success before big business swoops in, and McCabe is looking over his shoulder for the back half of the film. And, true to Altman, the town feels extremely lived-in, and it's an interesting, if downtrodden, place to spend some time. The film also has a very dreary, foggy look. The surroundings are drenched in mud and snow, and a good portion of the scenes are bathed in brownish reds and oranges. A slow motion tragedy, but a compelling one. The American Dream favors the big guy.

LIST OF SHAME:
19. True Stories (1986) (added 09-30-22): I've been a diehard Talking Heads fan for almost as long as I've followed pop music, but I've never seen this musical comedy, David Byrne's sole directorial credit for a feature film.
21. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) (added 04-03-23): A big influence on my favorite film, The Royal Tenenbaums.
26. Night on Earth (1991) (added 08-20-23): The only Jarmusch I haven't seen (aside from the music docs).
27. The New World (2005) (added 09-01-23): The biggest gap in my Terrence Malick viewing.
31. Belle de Jour (1967) (added 12-07-23): Perhaps a bit more of a conventional narrative than I'm used to from Buñuel.
33. The Apartment (1960) (added 01-15-24): Getting some Billy Wilder into the rotation.
35. Rio Bravo (1959) (added 03-03-24): I'll take a recommendation from John Carpenter any day.
36. Face/Off (1997) (added 03-14-24): I love Nic Cage and I've never seen a John Woo movie.
(and introducing...)
37. Pink Flamingos (1972) (added 03-31-24): Let's get filthy.

SHAME OVERCOME (27 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985); Purple Rain (1984); Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939); M (1931); Planet of the Apes (1968); The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957); Brokeback Mountain (2005); Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989); A Streetcar Named Desire (1951); Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957); Godzilla (1954); The Iron Giant (1999); Tokyo Story (1953); A Woman Under the Influence (1974); The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928); McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cross posting from the IIMM thread because it was on somebody's list

I watched Platoon yesterday for the first time in a long while and it wasn't nearly as good as I remember.

There's a lot to like about it but maybe it's me getting old, having seen better war films (FMJ, Dunkirk, The Thin Red Line, Apocalypse Now) or the satiric influence of Tropic Thunder but, I dunno, a lot of it came off as hamfisted and forced. Like movie stars playing war and an actor's idea of what being in a war is like. A large chunk of it (Charlie Sheen's narrative letters, a lot of the dialogue, the brief examinations of race and class) were just too on the nose for me and it's almost made worse by the fact that there are some really good scenes by Berenger, Dafoe and a few others, so the parts I didn't like stood out in comparison.

Maybe I'm just cynical and jaded or was in a cranky mood.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

"But remember, every time you look in the mirror, you'll see my face."

Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea - The premise is very high concept. A few Nazis attempt to time travel back to 1944 to deliver a hydrogen bomb to Hitler. It reminds me of this Hitler meme: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4ripLsWYAANk-Y.jpg

It's also steeped in 1970s ideas of the future e.g. anti-aging pills and strange weapons. Some will probably find this premise to be a little taboo or see it as a silly curio but I found it funny. It's also clever and without giving too much away it shares some things with the first two Back to the Future films and Timecrimes (2007).

Free on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVBPNfKfgNo

Also watched:

The Spider's Stratagem - A son is trying to piece together what happened to his father many years earlier. It's a mystery that dates back to 1936. He was believed to be murdered by fascists but the truth is more complicated. The son leaves no stone unturned and it's like a documentary at times. The whole film is wrapped up in a strangely haunted atmosphere. Ultimately, it's a reminder that any political ideology is capable of subterfuge.

If you thought The Passenger (1975) had too much action then this might be the film for you.

The Ballad of Cable Hogue - A womanizing/charlatan preacher (David Warner) and a hobo (Jason Robards) establish a small way station after finding water in a remote area. It's an entertaining and unique story. It's more comedic than your typical Western and has a few surprising turns. It's kind of like a masculinized Cat Ballou (1965) and also shares the style found in Tom Jones (1963).

Hesitation (164 completed):

#161 An Actor's Revenge - This one gets glowing reviews from the critics but doesn't get mentioned that often. 11/27/23

#166 The Turning Point - This was nominated for eleven Oscars but won zero. It shares that record with The Color Purple. 3/9/24

new #168 The Thing with Two Heads - Something about head transplantation. 4/4/24

new #169 Coming Home - I haven't seen a Hal Ashby film lately. 4/4/24

Mr. Showbiz's Readers' Picks: The 100 Best Movies of All Time (99/100 completed):

new #92 A Time to Kill - Samuel L. Jackson's character is very angry. 4/4/24

Black Rain - Not to be confused with the Ridley Scott film (which shares the same title and same release year). 2/11/24

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

The Spider's Stratagem - A son is trying to piece together what happened to his father many years earlier. It's a mystery that dates back to 1936. He was believed to be murdered by fascists but the truth is more complicated. The son leaves no stone unturned and it's like a documentary at times. The whole film is wrapped up in a strangely haunted atmosphere. Ultimately, it's a reminder that any political ideology is capable of subterfuge.

i glanced at the wikipedia and does this seriously end with a reference to Mussolini making the trains run on time and is that played as a joke or what?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

i glanced at the wikipedia and does this seriously end with a reference to Mussolini making the trains run on time and is that played as a joke or what?

That's a good question. I didn't think of that reference at the time but it's a possibility.

The film isn't comedic it's more ominous and the ending is surreal. At the end it felt like the main character was stuck in the Zone found in Stalker (1979).

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Hidden gem or just failed Oscarbait?

Watched Face/Off (1997)

Missed this one back in the day, even though I would have loved this as a middle schooler. I certainly wasn't a stranger to R-rated action flicks. All I really knew was John Travolta (the good guy, Sean Archer) and Nic Cage (the bad guy, Castor Troy) surgically switch their faces for... reasons. This was a blast, obviously. It's everything you could want in an action movie--within the first 10 minutes, Troy is in a private jet racing down a runway while Archer is commandeering a helicopter and trying to stop him from taking off. And, of course, you get people jumping in the air with shooting with a pistol in each hand. I've never seen a John Woo film, but I knew that was a guarantee. But the real joy is watching the two leads have fun inhabiting the other characters. It's honestly kind of mind-bending, because it's not just a straight swap, it's Cage playing Travolta as he would play Cage and vice-versa. So you've got Cage establishing a wildly over-the-top Nic Cage bad guy, then pretending he's Travolta pretending to be Cage. Travolta, in particular, gets to poke fun at his own public image and persona. ("Well, think about me. This nose. This hair. This ridiculous chin.") Aside from the Archer character being a little bit of a central casting type before the body swap, Travolta and Cage absolutely killed this. Quite possibly the most fun movie I've scratched off the Shameful list so far.

LIST OF SHAME:
37. Pink Flamingos (1972) (added 03-31-24): Let's get filthy.
(and introducing...)
38. First Blood (1982) (added 04-11-24): Never saw any Rambo movies growing up, despite being an '80s kid.

SHAME OVERCOME (28 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985); Purple Rain (1984); Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939); M (1931); Planet of the Apes (1968); The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957); Brokeback Mountain (2005); Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989); A Streetcar Named Desire (1951); Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957); Godzilla (1954); The Iron Giant (1999); Tokyo Story (1953); A Woman Under the Influence (1974); The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928); McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971); Face/Off (1997)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Happy to hear! You'd love his HK stuff with Chow Yun Fat I think, especially The Killer and Hard Boiled. Face/Off is so good, I love that Nic Cage still says it's his fav of his own movies.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
OK, Hard Boiled just got put on the watchlist based on the cover alone.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rocks! But don't skip The Killer, it's one of my top 10 movies ever, I'm just sayin'. And it came in a DVD set with Hard Boiled at one point.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
On the the list it goes. Two-for-one. A Woo-fer two-fer.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

"I'm fine all over."

The Turning Point - This one covers the familiar dilemma that many face: career or family. In this case it's motherhood vs. career. Two women (Shirley MacLaine and Anne Bancroft) look back on their lives and contend with that old saying about the grass being greener on the other side. One's a ballet dancer past her prime and one is living vicariously through her daughter. Before it's over they have a few memorable confrontations.

I'd call it a spiritual successor to The Red Shoes (1948) in some respects. And it has some of the gamesmanship of Black Swan (2010) as well. It's a must-see for those who appreciate ballet.

Hesitation (165 completed):

#168 The Thing with Two Heads - Something about head transplantation. 4/4/24

#169 Coming Home - I haven't seen a Hal Ashby film lately. 4/4/24

new #170 Trees Lounge - Something about a bar. 4/14/24

#92 A Time to Kill - Samuel L. Jackson's character is very angry. 4/4/24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finally got around to Ronin and weird that I slept on it since I like DeNiro a lot and also enjoy heist/caper poo poo.

It was quite good and kind of gave me some Tarantino vibes in the vein of Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown. I mean, in as much as it's a bunch of cool characters saying and doing cool poo poo and then being even more cool when the poo poo hits the fan. It doesn't offer the kind of snappy dialogue that we expect from Quentin but it has that ensemble "who can we trust?" poo poo going on. Everyone's a total badass that totally has their poo poo together who are all wrapped up in conflicting motives. It's got a little bit of a Usual Suspects, Heat, Mission Impossible, The Departed and maybe even a hint of Oceans Eleven thing going on.

In lesser hands and with shittier actors, it could be real shlock but it's super smooth from the outset and never overplays itself.

Natascha McElhone is really good here as well as Deniro. One gets the sense early on that someone in the main cast is gonna double cross everyone and the film does a pretty good job of not making it obvious, even though it does suffer occasionally from some ply contrivances - people happening to be in the right place, etc. It never loses the thread and keeps throwing twists and turns at you, usually in a good way.

Good movie.

Zogo posted:

new #170 Trees Lounge - Something about a bar. 4/14/24

Zogo, you get this. One of my favorite Buscemi performances.

UPDATED LIST

On the Waterfront - I usually like Brando so not sure how I never got to his one

The Producers - I usually like Mel Brooks and somehow never got around to this one

Pan's Labyrinth - Sounds dumb but I need to be in the mood to deal with subtitles

The Great Escape - I tend to dig prison movies and already loved McQueen doing a similar thing in Papillion

Double Indemnity - I like caper films and double crosses and poo poo. The description sounds like the Coen' s "The Man Who Wasn't There" which I liked a lot.

The Last Picture Show - In honor of the late and recently deceased director, Peter Bogdanovich, I'll add this

The Conversation - I like Gene Hackman and capers and have seen snippets of this. It looks interesting and up my alley. FFC directed so that's a plus.

Duck Soup - Seen a couple of Marx Brothers movies but not this one

Paris, Texas - I know jack poo poo about this movie but it's @ 94% on RT and Harry Dean Stanton is a treat

Wait Until Dark

Ronin - I enjoy Deniro and this film has flown under my radar

I'll add a 10th one when I can think of one.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 15, 2024