Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

syntaxfunction posted:

Hell yeah, amps rule. I didn't know that people disliked the JVM, like yeah, it isn't a JCM800 or JTM45 or JMP or whatever but I wasn't aware it was looked down on. They're stupidly versatile and are very capable of all the classic Marshall sounds.

Honestly for the tube offerings Marshall is in a really good place with the reissues, JVM, Origin and DSL series. And I'm not even stupidly keen on the Marshall sound.

As a Marshall fan, I do admit that the JVM doesn't quite feel like the classic heads. All of those heads make you feel like you're plugging into a small thermonuclear weapon. That rich high-mid attack from one of those classic heads, combined with how goddamn immediate they feel, make it feel like you're using some sort of sonic weapon.

...BUT.

They can only ever do that ONE thing. Across the Plexis and the JCMs, there's a few variations on that ONE THING, and to be honest, that ONE THING is one of the best fuckin' things in the world.

The JVM can 9\10 do ALL of those things, plus more. It won't quite feel the same, but it still feels pretty fuckin' great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

H13 posted:

So I've been working on a big holiday project about how and why the Marshall JVM is good actually.

Plenty of online nerds hate it. Marshall nerds especially hate this amp. I decided I would try to prove them wrong by recording a bunch of music and ranting at them.

So here's a long-form video where I talk about how much I love this amp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1PoTB5-m7Y

But if you don't want to hear a nerd rant about an amp for half an hour and instead wanna hear how kickass the amp can sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qF04PbRps

There's all the bits of music I recorded for it.

ENJOY.

I'm very excited to watch this later

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I did enjoy! I'll have to finish watching later tho.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the kind words :)

I'm very glad to be finished with this video. I was keen to show that the JVM can kinda do everything really well. Every time I thought I had recorded enough bits of music I went: "Oh wait...it's also great at this..."

I hope listening to me ramble about the amp isn't too dull. I found it dull when editing it...

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think the style of the second video is really useful for people to get an idea of sounds and versatility of an amp if they can’t try one themselves. It’s good stuff!