Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Oh come on. Sure, lots of people wanted the leatherbound book, but the actual draw for most was the new secret project book, and they very clearly structured this to prop up the physical goods sales with the new book release. This is the equivalent of making you walk through the gift shop after you visit the museum and it's annoying and icky. And not to blow this out of proportion, but Brandon is typically a shining example of how to do things right, so it's also a bit disappointing coming from his team.

Numbers from backerkit:
45k people (43%) opted for a leatherbound reward that includes the secret project book + dragonsteel prime
57k people (56%) opted for only the new book release (about 60% of which wanted the physical books vs. 40% wanting ebooks)
I mean, I only wanted the new book and not the leatherbound but that didn't stop my dumb rear end from dropping nearly $300 on goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
You can literally buy the ebook at any other point in time, no one forced you to participate in the campaign lol

Pretending the words of radiance leatherbound crowdfunding campaign isn't about the words of radiance leather bound just because most people can't afford it is so weirdly goony, there wouldn't even be a campaign if it weren't for the leatherbound

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 19, 2024

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I backed the ebook-only tier because, hey, it was $10 and there's no way the book is that cheap at release. I also thought it was weird af they wanted my physical address for that. Not enough to complain (until this conversation came up), but it definitely gave me pause.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

You can literally buy the ebook at any other point in time, no one forced you to participate in the campaign lol

Pretending the words of radiance leatherbound crowdfunding campaign isn't about the words of radiance leather bound just because most people can't afford it is so weirdly goony, there wouldn't even be a campaign if it weren't for the leatherbound
If being "goony" is understanding how the world actually works, I'll own it. They used a very obvious strategy of hooking two target markets (nerds who just like books and nerds who like tchotchkes AND books) into the same campaign to push for some crossover sales and impulse buys, they leveraged the backerkit interface to lean into it, and it apparently worked. I'm annoyed by it enough to :justpost: about it - apparently others weren't but still recognize this is what was going on.

Agreed that I could have opted into buying the e-book later, but I like crowdfunded stuff because it is typically the most direct way to support the author while also getting access to fun new books quickly! I led with the idea that I'll probably take this approach in the future, because the early read and participation in new book spoiler/speculation chat doesn't offset how bothersome I find the things that I've been complaining about.

As for people not buying a leatherbound physical book because they aren't rich enough...perhaps reflect a bit on your take here as it's not a good look.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

aparmenideanmonad posted:

As for people not buying a leatherbound physical book because they aren't rich enough...perhaps reflect a bit on your take here as it's not a good look.

What a weird and goony way to completely misread what I said. Not everything's some big insidious plot by brandon to trick you into buying merchandise, people have been clamoring for years for more merch from him.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Oathbringer Re-Read critique:

I'm bouncing back and forth between the audiobook of Oathbringer (mostly as background while I'm doing dishes/laundry/cooking etc) and a couple other non-audio books. I just finished The Dark Forest (part 2 of Three Body Problem) and The Other Valley (a pretty cool novel that I highly recommend) and I totally see some of the critiques people level at Brandon. I'm full-on invested (not Invested) in the Cosmere, and I get that different books provide different things to me as a reader. The big thing I'm feeling this time through is that Brandon's writing is very direct and heavy-handed.

Thinking about the Bridge 4 chapters: He really wants to hammer home the idea that everyone in bridge 4 feels like the loneliest most-outsideriest person in bridge 4, but that's only because they by default don't consider Rlain and Dabbid to be people. I guess there's some nuance in saying that even the good guys are fully indoctrinated by society, but by the 4th or 5th time we hear the same idea I was lingering over the fast-forward button. \

I get that he's definitely critiquing militarism and gender roles in American (& and Mormon) culture through this book, especially with revealing Dalinar's monsterous past. I think it's a unique angle in fantasy that we are so supposed to situate ourselves with the 'good guys' as being right and good, and then over the books pointing out how messed up their society is. It just feels very direct at times. The bit about Rlain and people touching his carapace felt like the most heavy-handed way to say "It's just like America guys, get it?"

I also had a reminder of why people hate Shallan and Wit in their endless back-and-forth about stupidity and how dumb people are when they first met up in Kholinar. Just an insufferable exchange, which is odd because Shallan is the only person who has any sort of tenderness and sincerely caring relationship with Wit. The "look at how clever Shallan is" parts just really flop for me, and I have the same critique of Wit as a narrator in Tress, I've heard voiced here.

With all that... still enjoying Oathbringer. Give me badass huge swords, world-ending evil, unraveling ancient magical powers. In WOR I fully joined the hooting and hollering during The Dual and at the end when Adolin just finally says enough and stabs Sadeas. Very cool. Nice character development from some key characters (Adolin, Gavilar, probably others) that is well done and not too over the top. Can't wait to see what happens in book 5, can't wait to read the new secret project.

Edited because I goofed up the spoiler tags.

road potato fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 19, 2024

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My only complaint about the campaign is that it was cheaper to get a box with swag I don't want than the hardcover books alone, but I don't think that's a secret plot by Brandon to give me more stuff for less money

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm very enjoying Part 3 of Oathbringer.

Part 1 was good too.

Part 2 was too slow. As I mentioned prior, its not that the book felt like it was spinning its wheels - as that would mean nothing was happening and it was going nowhere. It just felt like the pacing suddenly became glacial. (I blame the Bridge Four chapters.)

Part 1 felt like it was natural progression from WoR. Then Part 2 comes along and feels like something taken from early TWoK.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
The entire campaign was about Words of Radiance leatherbound. If that wasn’t obvious, then I’m not sure what to tell you. The secret project was extremely welcome but Brando got my dumbass to drop $600 for WoR Signed + WoK Signed. I can’t stand this man. He hurts my bank account too much.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Mordiceius posted:

I'm very enjoying Part 3 of Oathbringer.

Part 1 was good too.

Part 2 was too slow. As I mentioned prior, its not that the book felt like it was spinning its wheels - as that would mean nothing was happening and it was going nowhere. It just felt like the pacing suddenly became glacial. (I blame the Bridge Four chapters.)

Part 1 felt like it was natural progression from WoR. Then Part 2 comes along and feels like something taken from early TWoK.

Oathbringer is a slow burn with a huge payoff. Enjoy the ride. It’s my favorite book of the four so far for this very reason.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Oathbringer is a slow burn with a huge payoff. Enjoy the ride. It’s my favorite book of the four so far for this very reason.

Yeah, I feel like it is probably a situation where all of the "boring" stuff got shoved into part 2 to make space in 3/4/5 for stuff to get wild. Part 3 is already very very good.

I just found it interesting because I thought Part 1 felt like a natural progression from WoR with the excitement and the pacing. Then Part 2 comes along and it feels like Brandon slammed on the breaks to a whiplashy degree.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I feel like it is probably a situation where all of the "boring" stuff got shoved into part 2 to make space in 3/4/5 for stuff to get wild. Part 3 is already very very good.

I just found it interesting because I thought Part 1 felt like a natural progression from WoR with the excitement and the pacing. Then Part 2 comes along and it feels like Brandon slammed on the breaks to a whiplashy degree.

You're going to hate RoW a lot I can tell and we'll have to read yet another hundred posts on your thoughts of Way of Kings again

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Barreft posted:

You're going to hate RoW a lot I can tell and we'll have to read yet another hundred posts on your thoughts of Way of Kings again

I'm going to be open minded. I've heard a lot of conflicting things on it. Based off the general tone of conversation, I bet I will rank it less than WoR/O but, like I said, I'm going to keep an open mind.

My friend loves Kaladin as his favorite, thinks Dalinar is alright, and generally doesn't care for Shallan, and hates Rhythm of War. Meanwhile, I'm neutral on Kaladin, love Dalinar, and love Shallan. So we'll see. I never want to go into a book with the idea I'll hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

seems the crowdbacking issue has settled down now? If not I'm sure there is a dedicated thread for such things elsewhere.