Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

How would one find an address for, say, an actor to write a fan letter? I’d love to send a letter to Joaquin Phoenix.

You can look up celebrity agents at https://www.whorepresents.com/ (no, really).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I maintain that I do not care about the UK royal family, but the headline that Prince Harry has become a US resident got me thinking:

What do countries (or at least the US) do with immigrants who do not have a surname as such? Harry I think would have used sometimes nothing at all and sometimes any of various ones on his paperwork in the UK. But others might never have used any kind of surname officially.

Is there a preference to using a middle name as a surname if possible? Are you asked to make one up? Does it continue being blank?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bright Bart posted:

I maintain that I do not care about the UK royal family, but the headline that Prince Harry has become a US resident got me thinking:

What do countries (or at least the US) do with immigrants who do not have a surname as such? Harry I think would have used sometimes nothing at all and sometimes any of various ones on his paperwork in the UK. But others might never have used any kind of surname officially.

Is there a preference to using a middle name as a surname if possible? Are you asked to make one up? Does it continue being blank?

There's a whole thing about using FNU, or first name unknown for a.lot of folks coming from different countries with different naming conventions. It sucks for a lot of reasons, but that's one option. Or LNU I'm this case.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bright Bart posted:

They use this

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bright Bart posted:

Isn't he Harry Henry Windsor?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hyperlynx posted:

Isn't he Harry Henry Windsor?

No. He's Henry of house Windsor. It's basically the same but special because he's a prince.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
In actual practice he'd likely use Windsor or Sussex, just for administrative reasons.

Or who knows maybe he managed to get a passport with his mom's last name on it and he goes by Spencer.

The UK passport office will have guidelines for this and because any govt ID he gets in the US will be based on the information in his British document, that's where his name will come from

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

EricBauman posted:

In actual practice he'd likely use Windsor or Sussex, just for administrative reasons.

I recall him being called Lieutenant Wales in some news report way back.

Anyway, the Lebron/Tyson tattoo copyright lawsuit got me thinking, obviously an architect can copyright a design for construction, but does the group who built the Burj Khalifa or Steinway Tower get paid if their building is clearly in a film or rendered in a game?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I was under the impression that he had used several of these at different times, yes. Which makes me wonder if US immigration let him choose one or gave specific demands like the most recent one he had on his passport.

Maybe he got to choose but then again maybe some tired office worker was having none of it and stamped it Henry David and told him to get it changed if it bother him.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 19, 2024

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Arbite posted:

I recall him being called Lieutenant Wales in some news report way back.

Anyway, the Lebron/Tyson tattoo copyright lawsuit got me thinking, obviously an architect can copyright a design for construction, but does the group who built the Burj Khalifa or Steinway Tower get paid if their building is clearly in a film or rendered in a game?

Depends on the jurisdiction. Panorama rights (that's the term you'll want to google for) is a mess.

And it's likely to get worse!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's normal to only have one name in plenty of places so immigration systems are used to dealing with it, for Australia you just put your name in the family name section and leave the first name section blank. You should use the name in your passport cause imagine trying to get on a plane when your visa and your passport name are different.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Organza Quiz posted:

It's normal to only have one name in plenty of places

Is it? Indonesia, sure. Some Pacific cultures I guess? Iceland and presumably many other places have the patronymic thing, but that always(?) gives you two names.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Time to share a classic.

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Is it? Indonesia, sure. Some Pacific cultures I guess? Iceland and presumably many other places have the patronymic thing, but that always(?) gives you two names.

It's pretty common in India from what I can tell from my clients. Sikhs for example sometimes use Singh/Kaur as a family name but it isn't one and plenty don't use it that way. But also I've seen plenty of people who aren't Sikh and just have one name.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Organza Quiz posted:

for Australia you just put your name in the family name section and leave the first name section blank

I might be mistaken but for Australia the persons's one name would become their family name and they would have no first name anymore?

So Prince Harry would just be Given name: [first name unkown] Surname: Henry if he moved to Australia?

Well actually he has a few given names. Does the last or another of these become the surname? That would make more sense than his last name becoming all of his given names and leaving him without one.

Organza Quiz posted:

It's pretty common in India from what I can tell from my clients. Sikhs for example sometimes use Singh/Kaur as a family name but it isn't one and plenty don't use it that way. But also I've seen plenty of people who aren't Sikh and just have one name.

And the local ID they show you just has that one name?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
He'd probably just be Prince Harry bc Australia is still subservient to Britain.

I'm from America and am uninterested in corrections on this point.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

You can look up celebrity agents at https://www.whorepresents.com/ (no, really).
It's very smart how they have colorized their logo on that page

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Bright Bart posted:

I might be mistaken but for Australia the persons's one name would become their family name and they would have no first name anymore?

So Prince Harry would just be Given name: [first name unkown] Surname: Henry if he moved to Australia?

Well actually he has a few given names. Does the last or another of these become the surname? That would make more sense than his last name becoming all of his given names and leaving him without one.

And the local ID they show you just has that one name?

Er no you still just have one name which is your name, but when you do visa documents the way you indicate that is to fill in the family name section because that's how the system is designed. Other systems that you enter your name in might be designed differently and have different instructions.

You might be getting confused because you have an idea that there is just one system recording peoples' names that is The One Truth Of Name and also reflects how people think of names. This is not the case. I was specifically answering for visa applications because I know how that works, but for example insurance or drivers license systems might want you to do something else to indicate you have only one name.

Also in reality people use different variations of their name, I've had people using three or four variations for different processes, although that's often people who have very long names by our standards so they abbreviate bits for different purposes. Or people who have changed their name due to marriage but still use their unmarried name for some things.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

How did western culture settle on two names anyway, and why do middle names exist?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Organza Quiz posted:

You might be getting confused because you have an idea that there is just one system recording peoples' names that is The One Truth Of Name and also reflects how people think of names. This is not the case.

Okay I am well aware that there are different systems for recording names and that these may be different and even seemingly contradictory within one jurisdiction. I experienced this myself as someone where, in the country I was born, some authorities recognized parts of my name while others did not and/or used different elements from said name for different fields.

That is actually probably the reason this piqued my interest in the first place.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

two fish posted:

How did western culture settle on two names anyway, and why do middle names exist?

It probably varies a lot because the west is not really a uniform entity, but middle names are often a good way to pass on the names of grandparents or other loved ones. Like my niece has a first name that my brother and his wife chose, but she has her two grandmother's names as her middle names.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

two fish posted:

I don't know. I do know how the two name system was formalized in the Netherlands, because it is a somewhat famous story.

It happened during the (Napoleonic) French occupation. The French decided it would be a good idea to have each town make a registry of all people living there. So they had everyone come up to the town hall and say their name.

Now, back then, plenty of people didn't really have a family name as such. Family names were for nobility. Maybe their last name was just "father name's son" or people referred to them by their occupation. But the French demanded one.

So, most people who didn't use a family name gave the French either "father's son" kind of last name or something like "baker" or "miller" or whatever.
But there were also those who were convinced that the French wouldn't stay for too long (which turned out to be true) and that things would "go back to normal" once they were gone and the name registry would be dropped (which turned out to be wrong). So they put down joke names like "poopies" or "born naked" to mess with the authorities.

So to this day, there's Dutch families with "poopies" or "born naked" as their last names.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Carbon dioxide posted:

So they put down joke names like "poopies" or "born naked" to mess with the authorities.

So to this day, there's Dutch families with "poopies" or "born naked" as their last names.
Sadly this seems to be just a persistent myth.
https://www.naamkunde.net/?page_id=162

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What sort of voters are attracted to Kennedy? I thought Trump had a monopoly on the conspiracy theorist demographic.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

two fish posted:

What sort of voters are attracted to Kennedy? I thought Trump had a monopoly on the conspiracy theorist demographic.

"lefty" antivaxxers, russell brand fans and people so old they just hear "kennedy" and vote reflexively

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

two fish posted:

They're most commonly known as 'idiots'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

They're most commonly known as 'idiots'

That's a very large demographic though