Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

isasphere posted:

I'm going to go with the possibly controversial take that Omega should have had Lana's place narratively. Make them the same character.

That way you could have compared and contrasted Loup, who was pretending to be a numan for manipulative reasons, with Omega, who desperately wanted to experience life. (And tying better with the whole robots into new people theme. Add in more aspects of loving being alive, not just romantic love and Robot's religious masochism.)

Yeah, this would've made Lana's death actually have impact and stakes, too. How tragic that a machine built to be an oracle finally escaped its confines somewhat, fell in love, started to experience life to its fullest, and then was immediately killed by hosed up circumstances that, had its predictions come true, never would've existed in the first place.

We've seen Kat talk about using the Omega device as well, so you could say something about Omega secretly talking to Kat and asking for a body of her own, and Kat keeping it secret from everyone so Omega doesn't get found out by the Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Oh yeah that would have been a good use for Kat's secret workshop, and her experimenting with sending consciousness back and forth among vessels.

Omega being given a body would have been a good logical bridge between the robots' chips being placed in new humanoid artificial bodies and Kat trying to send her mind into the machines. edit: just checked, never mind, apparently their minds were transferred from the chips into artificial brains? which asks interesting questions about continuity of existence. were they just copies and their original cpu minds erased? is there some ether-magic thing going on that ensures its the same mind moving completely and not a copy? is it the same for the animals and their tokens when they joined the Court?

Also tying up again with the people becoming animals to join the forest and the animals and fairies becoming humans to join the Court. Omega and the new humans would have been like, genuinely free. Obtaining a new body and new mental expansions just for the heck of it, separate from having to have a Court or Forest allegiance.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 19, 2024

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I think I floated here that it would've been a nice thematic through line if Omega was Tea-san engineering a timeline where the world isn't Third Impact'ed by the Court thinking they can just slingshot off into a non-magical reality. I guess it could still be a setup like that, but ultimately I did get the vibe they were setting up Omega to be a person Annie dialogs at rather than a computer.

Making her look generic like that is a bit of a letdown. If only because this entire Zimmyverse arc has been 90% generic background NPCs we've never cared about or seen before. I guess introducing one more generic-looking NPC to quickly exposit and wrap up another dangling mystery is completely in line with how low-effort and rushed this all is.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think I floated here that it would've been a nice thematic through line if Omega was Tea-san engineering a timeline where the world isn't Third Impact'ed by the Court thinking they can just slingshot off into a non-magical reality. I guess it could still be a setup like that, but ultimately I did get the vibe they were setting up Omega to be a person Annie dialogs at rather than a computer.

Making her look generic like that is a bit of a letdown. If only because this entire Zimmyverse arc has been 90% generic background NPCs we've never cared about or seen before. I guess introducing one more generic-looking NPC to quickly exposit and wrap up another dangling mystery is completely in line with how low-effort and rushed this all is.

Oh that would be so very rad!

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is supposed to like, contrast with the Court students who dyed their hair vivid colors because the ex-animal and ex-fairy students that joined the Court had funky hair colors too.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Honestly none of this is hitting for me because it's been so long since Omega was even mentioned in the comic; there's no buildup here at all. Just...give me some plot, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Doesn't help that she's taken the form of a boring-rear end bland numan