Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Gadget looks pretty cool, but I'm eyeing up "beatmaker3". Anybody tried it? Looks pretty cool but I haven't messed with any of the DAW type apps besides GarageBand, and it seems beatmaker is on sale right now.

I'm mostly interested in beatmakers sampling and stretching, do other apps support that, either a DAW or some app that can be routed with audiobus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone have experience with the paid gadgets? Are they worth the cost? I'm considering picking up Bilbao and Abu Dhabi, maybe even Kamata (demo I watched made it seem like much more than just a chip emu) while they are on sale.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Splinter posted:

Anyone have experience with the paid gadgets? Are they worth the cost? I'm considering picking up Bilbao and Abu Dhabi, maybe even Kamata (demo I watched made it seem like much more than just a chip emu) while they are on sale.

They're worth the cost IMO. I've gone full Gadget

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On that subject, are there any other must-haves besides Gadget? I have a handful of the Korg apps already, but these are the ones I'm specifically considering:

-iWAVESTATION
-ARP ODESSEi
-Module
-iM1

I mostly know what these sound like (though I'm less familiar with Module & M1) so I'm curious if any of them really do interesting/useful things that may not be apparent from videos.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Module is full on. Modular synthesis can get complicated and confusing quickly. I got wavestation and it owns, really fun and I use it in gadget

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Crime on a Dime posted:

Module is full on. Modular synthesis can get complicated and confusing quickly. I got wavestation and it owns, really fun and I use it in gadget

I'm not sure I follow... which app are you talking about in regards to modular synthesis?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MockingQuantum posted:

On that subject, are there any other must-haves besides Gadget? I have a handful of the Korg apps already, but these are the ones I'm specifically considering:

-iWAVESTATION
-ARP ODESSEi
-Module
-iM1

I mostly know what these sound like (though I'm less familiar with Module & M1) so I'm curious if any of them really do interesting/useful things that may not be apparent from videos.

I have iM1 and ODYSSEi and I'd consider them both pretty essential- they also manifest as instruments within Gadget (albeit I think the Odyssey might have a bit less depth there than in its standalone app, maybe I'm wrong? Idk I'm tired).

The M1 was used ALL OVER popular and commercial music in the late 80s and 90s (the Seinfeld theme was played on an M1 with the 'slap bass' patch) and the app is a super faithful port- it even supports loading actual M1 patches. It's really super powerful, esp when you consider what a real M1 costs.

I don't have Module or Wavestation yet but they're on my radar.

Are you specifically looking at Korg apps, or are you interested in anything else? I'd say that all of the Moog apps are pretty much "must buy" too.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I have iM1 and ODYSSEi and I'd consider them both pretty essential- they also manifest as instruments within Gadget (albeit I think the Odyssey might have a bit less depth there than in its standalone app, maybe I'm wrong? Idk I'm tired).

The M1 was used ALL OVER popular and commercial music in the late 80s and 90s (the Seinfeld theme was played on an M1 with the 'slap bass' patch) and the app is a super faithful port- it even supports loading actual M1 patches. It's really super powerful, esp when you consider what a real M1 costs.

I don't have Module or Wavestation yet but they're on my radar.

Are you specifically looking at Korg apps, or are you interested in anything else? I'd say that all of the Moog apps are pretty much "must buy" too.

Only asking about Korg because they're on sale at the moment and I just bought a new iPad mini with enough memory to actually have a good handful of apps handy. I'm definitely planning to grab Model 15 (already have Animoog and Filtatron), but I'll probably wait til it's half-off again.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Only asking about Korg because they're on sale at the moment and I just bought a new iPad mini with enough memory to actually have a good handful of apps handy. I'm definitely planning to grab Model 15 (already have Animoog and Filtatron), but I'll probably wait til it's half-off again.

Yeah that's the smart way to go. If you don't have a routing app or a way to easily export/clip yet I'd grab Audiobus and probably AudioShare too.

Do you have a keyboard/controller? There are tons of ways to go: wired or wireless, portable or full-size, adaptor-based or purpose-built. You can buy a dongle to make your midi/USB keyboard Bluetooth compatible. As great as multitouch is, you hit the limitations pretty quickly.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 24, 2017

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's really super powerful, esp when you consider what a real M1 costs.

I was going to answer "like 50€?" But cheked ebay... so M1's are vintage now :aaaaa:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

W424 posted:

I was going to answer "like 50€?" But cheked ebay... so M1's are vintage now :aaaaa:

Yeah- like cars of the same era, a lot of 20-30 year old synths are rising in value at the same time that many of them are dying or breaking and needing lots of age-related repairs. Makes the value of clean/restored ones skyrocket.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm not sure I follow... which app are you talking about in regards to modular synthesis?

Sorry I meant Model 15, not Module

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Do you have a keyboard/controller? There are tons of ways to go: wired or wireless, portable or full-size, adaptor-based or purpose-built. You can buy a dongle to make your midi/USB keyboard Bluetooth compatible. As great as multitouch is, you hit the limitations pretty quickly.

Hijacking this. I'm in the market for 2 items:

a) Super portable wireless MIDI keyboard. I already have a full size 49 key controller for my desktop, so this is exclusively for travel/bed use. Trying to bang out progressions and melodies using the onscreen keyboards (especially Thor's) is the one thing I can't stand about iOS production. I'm leaning toward the Korg microKEY Air-25.

b) A portable audio interface with the following features:
  • MIDI in, so I can send MIDI from Ableton, through my desktop audio interface's MIDI out, to the iPad
  • A flexible audio input (i.e. handles line, hi-z/instrument or a mic). My priority here is the instrument-in so I can run a guitar through amp modeling apps
  • Stereo audio out to send audio back to my computer
  • Optional/bonus: headphones can be used to monitor a different signal than what is coming through the main out (I assume this means the interface needs 2 stereo output channels, but maybe not), so if I get a DJ app I can cue in headphones while the speakers or main out play a track. Not a deal breaker though since there are :10bux: dongles that can split the headphone jack to accomplish this (albeit in mono) with some DJ apps
I'm looking at the iRig Pro I/O for this. Looks like it checks all the boxes (except maybe the optional one), and coming with Amplitube for iOS and desktop is a nice bonus.

Any recommendations for either of these items? The OP is pretty out of date. I have seen some negative reviews for some of the iRig products claiming there are audio quality issues when running on battery power.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Been looking into other options. Sounds like I could just get the studiomux app to handle sending audio/MIDI between Ableton and the iPad. No need to get an audio interface for the iPad just for that.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

MockingQuantum posted:

-iWAVESTATION
-ARP ODESSEi
-Module
-iM1

Since no one else seems to have mentioned it, check out Studio Amplify's KRFT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEi91adzaSw

It even has MIDI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaE0sVO6hg8

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I have all the optional Gadget stuff and have for a while. I would say the Arp Odyssey sounds incredible, and the Wavestation is super fun. It's mostly just a taste thing. I haven't experienced any "hidden features" so to speak. The Arp Odyssey has some cool sort-of arpeggiated stock sounds on their own. And you can do a lot of really interesting stacking with the Wavestation. Between those two you have a lot of versatility.

The iM1 has a higher learning curve but if you're willing to read manuals it's really powerful in its own right.
Module sounds gorgeous for classical piano sounds, particularly on an app, but I've literally never ended up using them with my style.

Bilbao and Abu Dhabi I bought right when I got Gadget and I don't think I'd like it nearly as much without them. Bilbao especially. Importing your own samples and being able to treat them with the effects in app has been awesome. I have really only used Abu Dhabi for a couple things but it's so intuitive and relatively powerful I would say it is worth it.

Kamata has a fairly diverse range of sounds for what it is, though I haven't found a lot of use for it in my own personal projects. I can see how someone could get a lot out of it though.

All are good deals with the current sale.

JNCO BILOBA fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 11, 2017

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm looking for an app that would let me easily chop up a sample and use the parts in a drum machine/sequencer. The simpler the better. Anyone have a good suggestion? I haven't kept up with iOS music apps in a while.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Anyone play with the new Korg synth they just dropped? I like it but am poor. I'm also glad they fixed the count-in in Gadget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Ok well I bought it anyway and I want to say that it is the Best Thing.

• Locked thread