Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

LashLightning posted:

They're not gonna care, because they're New Vegas purists and not Project Van Buren purists. Presumably the P:VB purists have already exploded over the changes to the Hanged Man becoming the Burned Man?

'Van Buren' was going to have a settlement scaling the Hoover Dam itself, if I remember correctly, and more of it was going to happen in Arizona rather than mostly in Nevada.

The main/final antagonist was going to be a pre-war scientist that had survived by cryogenically freezing themselves, as I understand. They were looking to infect the wasteland population with the pre-war 'blue flu' (said flu leading to the creation of what was the precursor to FEV) as to trick a pre-war weaponised satellite into bombing the wasteland, leaving the scientist to take control, along side some other scientists frozen/held in a pre-war facility.

The pre-war scientist looking to use pre-war weaponry to 'wipe the slate clean' became Father Elijah scrabbling about for something to exact his revenge against the NCR, and the other pre-war scientists' facility became Big Mountain and the Think Tank.

That's crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There was a ticking clock in the background like in Fallout 1, the longer you took to resolve whatever was going on in a place the worse things would get. For instance, people flee Hoover Dam the longer the war between them and the BoS goes on, and if you take too long, the NCR governor shoots himself in the head, the stores close down and Alice McLafferty (from the Crimson Caravan) takes over.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Defiance Industries posted:

There was a ticking clock in the background like in Fallout 1, the longer you took to resolve whatever was going on in a place the worse things would get. For instance, people flee Hoover Dam the longer the war between them and the BoS goes on, and if you take too long, the NCR governor shoots himself in the head, the stores close down and Alice McLafferty (from the Crimson Caravan) takes over.

That’s actually cool.

Question for the thread,has there ever been a mod that changes areas once you’ve wiped a faction out?

For example killing the legion at cottonwood cove does absolutely nothing,i was thinking even just set dressing with some crucified or posed legion would be cool.

Even just an increase or path change in one sides patrol would be good.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I've been trying to find one that reopens Quarry Junction after the Deathclaws are dead for ages lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

That’s actually cool.

Question for the thread,has there ever been a mod that changes areas once you’ve wiped a faction out?

For example killing the legion at cottonwood cove does absolutely nothing,i was thinking even just set dressing with some crucified or posed legion would be cool.

Even just an increase or path change in one sides patrol would be good.

Try out The Living Desert mod. It adds a lot more NPCs to the world and includes several new NPCs after certain quests complete. Biggest change I can think of is if you make the NCR occupy Primm, they move into the town in force.

Edited to have the correct mod name.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 17, 2024

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Didn’t van buren also have a thing where the pc was a carrier for the plague so while you’d have to show the scientist enough thriving communities to convince him the world wasn’t worth ending, if you spent too much time trying to fix things you’d infect them?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

Try out The Living Wasteland mod. It adds a lot more NPCs to the world and includes several new NPCs after certain quests complete. Biggest change I can think of is if you make the NCR occupy Primm, they move into the town in force.

Awesome i’ll try it out thanks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Frankly I'm not sure that Van Buren would have been a good game (Inserting a ticking clock into your RPG which forces players to spend less time immersed in the world if they want a decent ending is obviously extremely counterproductive) but I do enjoy all the lore that was created for it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Awesome i’ll try it out thanks.

In case you're having trouble finding it, it's called The Living Desert.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
:doh: had the wrong name, sorry.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Get yourself some item descriptions

Just piping in to say this mod is just delightful

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Frankly I'm not sure that Van Buren would have been a good game (Inserting a ticking clock into your RPG which forces players to spend less time immersed in the world if they want a decent ending is obviously extremely counterproductive) but I do enjoy all the lore that was created for it.

same, everything i've read about how the story of van buren was supposed to play out has left me extremely underwhelmed. to be fair that's critiquing a game that never existed and who knows how different the actual game would be from the initial ideas but i much prefer how the elements of van buren got reworked in new vegas

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Arc Hammer posted:

Try out The Living Desert mod. It adds a lot more NPCs to the world and includes several new NPCs after certain quests complete. Biggest change I can think of is if you make the NCR occupy Primm, they move into the town in force.

Edited to have the correct mod name.

Did they ever fix the thing of TLD putting Tunnelers into the Mojave after you've done Lonesome Road?

e: "NEW FILE: No DLC creatures: removes the appearance of Tunnelers and Yao Guais in the Mojave Wasteland."

Okay good they did

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Is there a mod that makes the game always take the full stack of something when looting? Like if there's Stimpak (3) I want to pick up all 3 in one click. I don't want an auto looter either

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Acebuckeye13 posted:

its actually good to do that.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

that being said, van buren probably would have been bad, just like fallout 2, 3, old world blues, lonesome road, 4, 76, and the fallout tv show.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

taco_fox posted:

Is there a mod that makes the game always take the full stack of something when looting? Like if there's Stimpak (3) I want to pick up all 3 in one click. I don't want an auto looter either

The loot mod has an mcm slider for that.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dongicus posted:

that being said, van buren probably would have been bad, just like fallout 2, 3, old world blues, lonesome road, 4, 76, and the fallout tv show.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Still wish the next Big Mod Project for NV was a van buren remake if only so the modders don’t try to write anything and stick to the competent design doc world building

There was a van buren themed mod called beyond boulder dome and it was frontier level writing. Painful to go through

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Nobody Interesting posted:

Did they ever fix the thing of TLD putting Tunnelers into the Mojave after you've done Lonesome Road?

e: "NEW FILE: No DLC creatures: removes the appearance of Tunnelers and Yao Guais in the Mojave Wasteland."

Okay good they did

Aw man, I'd quite like to have some Yao Guai show up. Def want to ditch the tunnelers though, my "head cannon" is that since you kill their queen and they're scared of you in the ending slides they're going to stay out of your territory

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Put some Yuo Guai up in the northwest of the map or in that high mountain pass behind Red Rock Canyon.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

2house2fly posted:

Aw man, I'd quite like to have some Yao Guai show up. Def want to ditch the tunnelers though, my "head cannon" is that since you kill their queen and they're scared of you in the ending slides they're going to stay out of your territory

You just wouldn't install the No DLC Creatures file, then, unless you're hoping to see Yao Guai and not tunnelers, in which case you gotta crack open FNVEdit.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Are there any mods that put in mountain lions, or whatever their mutated descendents would be?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Still wish the next Big Mod Project for NV was a van buren remake if only so the modders don’t try to write anything and stick to the competent design doc world building

There was a van buren themed mod called beyond boulder dome and it was frontier level writing. Painful to go through

BBD is honestly one of the worst Fallout/Elder Scrolls mods I've ever endured.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Need more Trainwiz mods. New Vegas Railroads is good fun and it would be even better if you could get run over by the train in the wasteland itself rather than just in the tunnel.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Nobody Interesting posted:

You just wouldn't install the No DLC Creatures file, then, unless you're hoping to see Yao Guai and not tunnelers, in which case you gotta crack open FNVEdit.
Tbh I always play LR right at the end of the game anyway, so may as well keep the regular file

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Agents are GO! posted:

BBD is honestly one of the worst Fallout/Elder Scrolls mods I've ever endured.

I do not say this lightly but calling it "Frontier-level writing" is an insult to the Frontier. The Frontier's writing wasn't good, but at least the portion that I played didn't feel like a waste of both my and the developer's time.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm genuinely not sure if I want to play Beyond Boulder Dome out of morbid curiosity or just save the spot in my load order

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

2house2fly posted:

I'm genuinely not sure if I want to play Beyond Boulder Dome out of morbid curiosity or just save the spot in my load order

The biggest problem with Beyond Boulder Dome is that when I say the whole thing is a waste of time, I mean it. A huge part of it is the writing (And especially the ending, for the briefest of spoilers the whole thing pretty much turns out to be a shaggy dog story), but even if you can get past that map and quest design is atrocious - there's a huge, wide-open spaces that take forever to traverse, maze-like winding dungeons that also take forever to traverse, and an obnoxious amount of backtracking through said areas. It's bad enough that after twelve years I still have a grudge against it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's hard to believe there's anything worse than New California lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I barely remember it but I think Boulder Dome was more boring and tedious than having anything offensively stupid the way Frontier or NC do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

FrancisFukyomama posted:

There’s Revelation Blues. It’s still being worked on, but doesn’t seem to be coming out anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I'll always remember only two things about Beyond Boulder Dome. One was the reveal that the supercomputer you were talking to was actually a depressed superintelligent monkey. The other was that the ending fight was so badly balanced as to be impossible unless you cheesed it by placing a shitton of mines just before it actually triggered.