Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty sure 1000s won't run without at least some battery charge, so permanently plugging it in won't be an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The old 1800 and 2200 batteries are things Sony doesn't appear to make anymore. (EDIT: As in the PSP is listed as discontinued on Sony's company store and replacement batteries are not listed at all.) You might find a couple on independent stores' shelves but your options are more likely

1) a knockoff battery (and I have done approximately five seconds of research into these so don't ask me)
2) a permanently plugged-in PSP, or
3) a new PSP.

It's not turning on even when plugged-in, so knockoff battery it is!

And if anyone has any idea on a good knockoff battery I am all ears. :D

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
A friend of mine has a PSP/Madden 08 pack that's been sitting in his closet for a while. Any ballpark ideas on how much I should spend on it?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty sure 1000s won't run without at least some battery charge, so permanently plugging it in won't be an option.

This is true, when my stunning pink psp completely runs out out of battery power the date and time reset.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Facepalm Ranger posted:

This is true, when my stunning pink psp completely runs out out of battery power the date and time reset.

That's pretty annoying, I bet.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I bought the black one and it works just fine. I'd be embarrassed to take a pink one around with me you know.

I still need to get to Tactics Ogre because that game looks awesome, but I'm being distracted by Ni No Kuni on PS3 (also not pink).

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
edit: wrong thread

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 12, 2014

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I'm not sure if this is useful to anyone else but I realized that there are a ton of PSP games I want to try and I didn't really like the way they looked when scaled on my Vita so I started checking around for a cheap PSP.

blinq.com is selling a ton of factory refurbished PSP Go systems on eBay for $79.99 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Playst...=item5d4bbbf075

I ordered one last week and received it today and other than coming in a generic white Sony box it is indistinguishable from new. I had it modded within minutes to run homebrew and I'm really pleased with it so far. I was taken aback at first by how small the system seems when compared to a Vita (it's like a slightly thicker iPhone 5) but PSP and SNES games look great on it and I have no issues with the control layout.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 22, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is the screen on the Go any bigger/smaller than the original PSP and is the screen quality any better?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

BadAstronaut posted:

Is the screen on the Go any bigger/smaller than the original PSP and is the screen quality any better?

Go's screen is a bit smaller than the regular PSP's, but it has significantly better color reproduction, and none of the interlacing issues of the 3000 series screens.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
PSP is finally dead in Japan. No more new PSPs will be shipped out over there.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

re: Go chat ... still use and love mine. I have a Vita too, but the Go slips into a pocket if I'm not carrying a bag and still need some sort of distraction.

Still play Lumines 2 (ripped), Hot Shots Tennis (still can't 100% anyone in brutal difficulty), pick at Jeanne d'Arc, and I have a pile of games still I've barely touched. The last one to sort of come out of nowhere and 'wow' me was Gladiator Begins, but I got stuck eventually. I need to spend more time on Eliminage.

I still wish the Vita had the Go's suspend feature.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The Final Fantasy Type-0 English patch has been released. You can get the patch to the game here: https://mega.co.nz/#!pwp3ARQR!8WCIyHbNd1nF1EdfXwtsP4SSpPN9JkeB5Az519-zpCs

Details: http://www.skybladecloud.net/we-have-arrived/
Actual project page (currently down due to getting slammed): http://www.skybladecloud.net/projects/final-fantasy-type-0-psp-english-translation/

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

havenwaters posted:

The Final Fantasy Type-0 English patch has been released. You can get the patch to the game here: https://mega.co.nz/#!pwp3ARQR!8WCIyHbNd1nF1EdfXwtsP4SSpPN9JkeB5Az519-zpCs

Details: http://www.skybladecloud.net/we-have-arrived/
Actual project page (currently down due to getting slammed): http://www.skybladecloud.net/projects/final-fantasy-type-0-psp-english-translation/

It's hours later, but my download was positively breezy. Hoping it'll work on Android PPSSPP, not sure where my PSP charger ended up.

EDIT: Not great on a Tegra 4, but playable. Found my charger though!

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 9, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

BadAstronaut posted:

I bought the black one and it works just fine. I'd be embarrassed to take a pink one around with me you know.

I still need to get to Tactics Ogre because that game looks awesome, but I'm being distracted by Ni No Kuni on PS3 (also not pink).

Not comfortable with your sexuality. Pink owns when used sparingly:colbert:

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 30, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Getting a hot pink PSP saved me £50 and I'm more than okay with that.

It has a big fat black rear end, though, since the battery needed a wider cover.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Stelas posted:

Getting a hot pink PSP saved me £50 and I'm more than okay with that.

It has a big fat black rear end, though, since the battery needed a wider cover.

Bump it bro. My Pink PSP cost me £30 instead of £45-50.

It's great I was buying pre-owned from HMV and they had all these offers for games with it, I just looked the guy in the eye and politely asked "Can I buy it without a bundle of sorts?" Boom! £15ish saved!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Getting in good with your local store manager is always helpful if you're buying older consoles, or even just to get around bundles in general.

I'm still mad that the Street came out so late in the PSP's life cycle that no-one bothered to pick it up, and that I couldn't really justify a second PSP out of the blue. That thing was amazing, chunky and non-slip and perfectly shaped. If they hadn't killed the online capability from it I'd get one in an instant.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Have you guys tried PPSSPP yet? It's very, very good. Running Castlevania and Jeanne D'Arc at 1080 with post-processing looks absolutely amazing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PSN server shutdown is tomorrow; if you don't have a PS3 now's the time to grab what you want.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Wait what?

Edit: Ah, they are shutting down the server that serves PSP games to the PSPs. Gotcha.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

You can still download from a PS3 and transfer right?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

AlmightyBob posted:

Yup, transfers are fine.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Captain Novolin posted:

Yup, transfers are fine.

Ok cool, that's faster anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AlmightyBob posted:

Yeah, I don't know of anything that needed direct activation from the PSP to PSN. There were some individual games that needed to touch a server for in-game goodies but those servers are all long dead.

PS3 transfers are still good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Midjack posted:

PS3 transfers are still good.

For now at least. The thing that makes me dicey about buying any digital game on a console is that eventually the whole thing is taken down. I still do it anyway. :sigh:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The only thing they took down is the storefront. The download list itself still works fine on PSPs.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

For now at least. The thing that makes me dicey about buying any digital game on a console is that eventually the whole thing is taken down. I still do it anyway. :sigh:

By the time a platform becomes unavailable digitally and hard to find in stores, emulation is usually caught up. PSP emulation is pretty much there and PS3 emulation has reached the point they have retail games loading. The only system it hasn't happened for is the original Xbox. Not to mention some big name games are still coming soon like Persona 5

It's strange to think about, but the base PSP architecture is coming up on 10 years in December. We had no qualms using the system to play GBA, NES, and SNES games which were just as old at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dehry posted:

By the time a platform becomes unavailable digitally and hard to find in stores, emulation is usually caught up. PSP emulation is pretty much there and PS3 emulation has reached the point they have retail games loading. The only system it hasn't happened for is the original Xbox. Not to mention some big name games are still coming soon like Persona 5

One challenge that purely digital game distribution presents is DRM. When you have a ROM in physical form, whether optical or solid state, it's fairly straightforward to get the bits off the media and run with it. Any encryption or obfuscation will be light since the same game has to work the same way on every console sold. Digital distribution, on the other hand, can make it much harder to recover a plaintext ROM from the downloaded file if they've done something cute with PKI or another scheme to curb piracy.

• Locked thread