Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I have the white/green Herman Miller X (pronounced cross) Logitech gamer Embody and I love it, especially since it was cheaper than the regular Embody and supposedly has a better foam on for the seat. Doesn't look like a ridiculous racer car seat either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Thanks.

Have one of you tried the Stressless Reno office chair? Or any other Stressless chairs for computer use?

I can't find any reviews.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

isndl posted:

If you know you're about to move to another country, that'd probably do it. Chairs aren't easy to ship.
it would be quite easy to move a chair from England to Scotland, or France to Spain. please don’t be so US-centric on top of giving disastrous health advice.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

PirateBob posted:

Where are the good posts in this thread? Where's the actual reliable info? The OP doesn't have poo poo.
as always, in my post history.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

TenementFunster posted:

it would be quite easy to move a chair from England to Scotland, or France to Spain. please don’t be so US-centric on top of giving disastrous health advice.

No, it's harder. European cars aren't American sized. :v:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’ve had my embody for 1.5-2 years and it’s still like new. Between 8-12 hours of use 5 days a week, no pain, no discomfort. 6’3” and 240lbs. I will say that if you have longer legs (34” inseam) or are taller than me, you might want to look at a larger size, because it’s right at the point where max height on the chair is right for me.

I get it. It’s a lot of money. But I churned through $200 chairs every two years. Even if we exclude the monetary value of not being in pain or uncomfortable, I’ll have made my money back if this outlasts the 12 year warranty.

tl;dr: if you sit a lot, buy an embody or one of the actual quality chairs recommended ITT, it’s worth it at full price let alone via a office reseller and repetitive stress injury (or whatever the hell a “sitting around a lot” injury is) is a wildly stupid thing that you can avoid.

Take care of you.

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019

tehinternet posted:

I’ve had my embody for 1.5-2 years and it’s still like new. Between 8-12 hours of use 5 days a week, no pain, no discomfort. 6’3” and 240lbs. I will say that if you have longer legs (34” inseam) or are taller than me, you might want to look at a larger size, because it’s right at the point where max height on the chair is right for me.

I get it. It’s a lot of money. But I churned through $200 chairs every two years. Even if we exclude the monetary value of not being in pain or uncomfortable, I’ll have made my money back if this outlasts the 12 year warranty.

tl;dr: if you sit a lot, buy an embody or one of the actual quality chairs recommended ITT, it’s worth it at full price let alone via a office reseller and repetitive stress injury (or whatever the hell a “sitting around a lot” injury is) is a wildly stupid thing that you can avoid.

Take care of you.

In July it'll be 4 years for me with the logitech version. 6'2" here with a bit less weight. It's still the same condition as when I first got it. Only annoyance is that i now resent my (few) days of working in the office because sitting in the chairs my work provides for a day is most definitely noticeable on my back.

One thing I would also definitely recommend if you work sitting five days a week is going to the gym at least once a week and doing some light back muscle exercises.

The combination of the right ergonomic chair for you and strengthening your back will pay dividends later in your life.

*Edit* And making sure you walk either during breaks/lunch whilst working and/or afterwards. If you make it part of your routine that can only help.

Angry-Alphs fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 14, 2024

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I've used Aerons for a long time and own 3, but one was starting to sag and was out of warranty, and the front bar of the seat was beginning to be a little painful.

I bought an Embody to see if it was more comfortable. I hated it. The backrest was great, but I don't think the seat is padded enough. I got some persistent tailbone pain that I'd never had before, even after just an hour or two of wfh. I ended up sending it back within the return period and they surprisingly didn't hit me with a restocking fee. Still looking for what's next for a gaming chair. I worked at a startup that used Knoll Generations and they weren't bad. I've also heard good things about the Steelcase Leap but I think I'd miss the breathability. Anything else out there if the Embody doesn't work?

I'm 6'1" / 210.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I’m still on the Aeron size B for my ride. The front bar does dig a little, but I don’t want to swap out the foam for the Amazon Chinesium stuff, so I make sure my posture adjusts for it a little, and it’s been okay. Totally dependent on body though, thigh structure and proportions to the leg.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

When I was buying a chair 7 years ago the thread had recommendations like look for at least a 10 year warranty, and if you're a goony goon who sits at their desk all day look for a "24 hour" or "continuous use" chair because many "computer chairs" are rated for 4 hours a day.

The Embody meets those criteria. But in Canada it costs $2600 (plus taxes and delivery, of course).

I ended up getting, I think, this one: https://www.ugoburo.ca/en/global-malaga-3140-3-office-seating-chair-ergonomic.html It was under $700 at the time. It meets both of the thread recommendations. I had a further requirement that the seat be wide enough to sit cross-legged sometimes because I'm a weirdo (it helps my back pain). It also has a bunch of nobs and things that make it adjustable in like 7 different ways that I don't really know how to use -- that's where buying from a show room would probably have helped. At the time they said the chair was made in Canada, which probably made it a bit cheaper than other not-china countries where international shipping would have been baked into the price. (For example thesame chair I bought costs 30% more in US stores, probably due to customs and delivery.)

No ragrets. After 4 years the seat upholstery started to show a little wear. Not much, just a bit of pilling where my foot rubs when I pull it up to sit cross-legged, lol. So I got a chair cover to protect the upholstery. After 6 years the height adjustment on the arm rests failed, causing them to go to their lowest point. This is probably covered by the warrantee, but by then I'd moved 3 times and lost the proof of purchase and whatnot. Everything else works as well as the day I bought it. Because it's meant for heavy duty use the chair cushion was a little firmer than the cheepo chairs I was used to, and 7 years later it's exactly the same amount of "a little bit too firm".

So it has cost me less than $100 a year, probably less than I was spending on chairs at Office Depot or Walmart that had to be replaced every year or two. It's not the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in, Walmart has a chair that was the most comfortable chair I ever sat in -- for 4 months, and then it was total garbage. It's perfectly fine for the first 6-8 hours a day, but if I sit in it all day the "a little bit too firm" seat starts hurting my butt and I have to change position often. But I'm not sure if that's the chair or just that human bodies don't like sitting 12 hours a day and want me to get off my rear end.

ps. I am poor.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Facebook Aunt posted:

ps. I am poor.
we know

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

KS posted:

I've used Aerons for a long time and own 3, but one was starting to sag and was out of warranty, and the front bar of the seat was beginning to be a little painful.
replacing the seat pan is like 20 minute job with simple hand tools and a $50 part off ebay

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Gas cylinders are usually about a 35 dollar part.
Took me 2 days to get the bad one out of my steelcase v2 though.

At least there are parts for days for aeron and leaps at this point. The Seat pan just slides right out of the leap v2.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

We get it, you have one "joke" that's never been funny.

Also, Aeron seat pans are nowhere near $50 unless you get them without the mesh, at which point it's far from a 20 minute job to get it installed right.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gonna throw it out again, but any real shorties out there (like 5'1 to 5'3) find a chair that works for them? Dunno if I also got some secondary things working against me (torso/leg length) but feel like I'm struggling something that feels right.

Didn't really feel like the Embody was right for me. I haven't tried a leap yet, but it doesn't look like its arm rests go low enough - which seems odd given how well adjustable the rest of the chair is, particularly the seat adjusting lower then most other chairs.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Did you ever try out an Aeron A? Its dimensions seem to fit what you're looking for

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Definitely find a place to sit in one, that's what I'd recommend. In fact I think Aeron goes quite low.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Also, Aeron seat pans are nowhere near $50 unless you get them without the mesh, at which point it's far from a 20 minute job to get it installed right.
which is why i said seat pan!

it’s a 20 minute job of turning allen keys and philips screws if you aren’t a stupid rear end in a top hat who struggles with ikea instructions. the aeron is incredibly easy to work on and replace broken/worn parts. it’s the one thing it has over the embody, which is not nearly as user serviceable

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oxyclean posted:

Gonna throw it out again, but any real shorties out there (like 5'1 to 5'3) find a chair that works for them? Dunno if I also got some secondary things working against me (torso/leg length) but feel like I'm struggling something that feels right.

Didn't really feel like the Embody was right for me. I haven't tried a leap yet, but it doesn't look like its arm rests go low enough - which seems odd given how well adjustable the rest of the chair is, particularly the seat adjusting lower then most other chairs.

The Steelcase Gesture has some wildly adjustable arms, but I don't know how low you can adjust the seat.

That being said, I did NOT like the Gesture I spent a year in at the office, which probably encouraged me to stand way more than I otherwise might have :v:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

which is why i said seat pan!

it’s a 20 minute job of turning allen keys and philips screws if you aren’t a stupid rear end in a top hat who struggles with ikea instructions. the aeron is incredibly easy to work on and replace broken/worn parts. it’s the one thing it has over the embody, which is not nearly as user serviceable

Just make sure to physically double check you're using the right torx/hex bits, because even the official dealer manual struggles with keeping things right. >=(

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Just make sure to physically double check you're using the right torx/hex bits, because even the official dealer manual struggles with keeping things right. >=(
lol that’s gotta be 30 in-lbs, right?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Three hundred comes to 27.5 ft-lbs which seems about right - that's about the same amount of force needed to seat a square taper crankset onto a bottom bracket. If I tried torquing that hard with a T30 bit I would have chewed up the bolt even more than it already was.

Makes sense for it to be that tight because it's a metal arm supporting potentially a lot of weight. Unfortunately the torque wrenches I do have were too low or high range.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
do any inch-pound wrenches go up that high? 330 in-lbs is like a recipe that calls for 384 teaspoons of chicken broth

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Welp, I ordered the Embody gaming chair. I hope I don't hate it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

dreesemonkey posted:

i did the same for my partner. should have a good return policy so i'm not that pressed if she doesn't love it. can always try something else.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Kibner posted:

i did the same for my partner. should have a good return policy so i'm not that pressed if she doesn't love it. can always try something else.

I didn't like the Embody so I assume everybody who says they do is lying to themselves as to not appear weird. So if you/they do like it, you/they are weird.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 16, 2024

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Duck and Cover posted:

I didn't like the Embody so I assume everybody who says they do is lying to themselves as to not appear weird. So if you/they do like it, you/they are weird.

I actually hated it the first time I sat in it. Incredibly disappointing experience.

Turns out, it was just configured hilariously incorrectly for me. A buddy of similar height/build had me sit in his and it was amazing . . . so much so I ended up buying it off him :v:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oxyclean posted:

Actually now that I think about it - and this is almost but not really but also maybe kinda a real recommendation - I can't help but wonder how the Cosm would do for you.

It's definitely a chair that has a bit too much personality for its own good, and is pretty polarizing because of it.

BUT! I feel like I have to run the piston closer to the top than I do most other chairs, so that makes me wonder if it ends up sitting lower than other chairs. And at least to me, it feels like the adjustable armrests (optional, but highly recommended) have quite a bit of travel to 'em.

What really made me mention it was that it hit me that my one BIGGEST complaint about the chair is that the seat pan feels extremely shallow. Like, I love the chair, but drat. However, that sounds like something that might be a bonus for you.

Let me know if you want me to try and take some measurements on mine or something.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zarin posted:

Actually now that I think about it - and this is almost but not really but also maybe kinda a real recommendation - I can't help but wonder how the Cosm would do for you.

It's definitely a chair that has a bit too much personality for its own good, and is pretty polarizing because of it.

BUT! I feel like I have to run the piston closer to the top than I do most other chairs, so that makes me wonder if it ends up sitting lower than other chairs. And at least to me, it feels like the adjustable armrests (optional, but highly recommended) have quite a bit of travel to 'em.

What really made me mention it was that it hit me that my one BIGGEST complaint about the chair is that the seat pan feels extremely shallow. Like, I love the chair, but drat. However, that sounds like something that might be a bonus for you.

Let me know if you want me to try and take some measurements on mine or something.

Cheers - the website says the seat minimum is 14⅞in - which puts it about an inch lower then the default embody. (and lower the most chairs) Might have to see about trying one out.

Inept posted:

Did you ever try out an Aeron A? Its dimensions seem to fit what you're looking for
Still need to try one I suppose. I ended up with a B from a reseller because I had a B at work that was working there, but the B doesn't feel quite right for my home setup, and so now I feel a bit silly/reluctant to seek out an A?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Duck and Cover posted:

the chair has so much adjustment so the only hard part is getting properly adjusted. a literal skill issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zarin posted:

I actually hated it the first time I sat in it. Incredibly disappointing experience.

Turns out, it was just configured hilariously incorrectly for me. A buddy of similar height/build had me sit in his and it was amazing . . . so much so I ended up buying it off him :v:

TenementFunster posted:

the chair has so much adjustment so the only hard part is getting properly adjusted. a literal skill issue.

I thought this may be the case but I gave it a good long try thinking eh maybe with one more adjustment it'll work for me! Eventually I gave up. Anyway it's nice that hideous monsters can have a chair they find comfortable. Maybe I'll try again as there's one being unused.