Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Opinionated posted:

I watched that video yesterday and loved it! For anyone interested it's a red bull f1 promotion they filmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pEqyr_uT-k

This is cool as gently caress.

slidebite posted:

I legit thought that was CG for the first bit.

Yeah same.

That’s a legit drone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I got my mini 4 pro drone and I went to register it as a standard remote id (due to the battery weight). I had read that the cost is $5 but when I go to register, it shows $50. I changed the options and it only went to $40.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I got my mini 4 pro drone and I went to register it as a standard remote id (due to the battery weight). I had read that the cost is $5 but when I go to register, it shows $50. I changed the options and it only went to $40.

Bidenflation! :argh:

I’m not sure what you did wrong but it should be $5.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I went back through and found the FAA Drone Zone page. Apparently, Google is such poo poo right now that instead of leading to that page, searching for “FAA Drone Registration” lead to some random page that tried to charge me $50 for what included stickers and a lanyard.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I went back through and found the FAA Drone Zone page. Apparently, Google is such poo poo right now that instead of leading to that page, searching for “FAA Drone Registration” lead to some random page that tried to charge me $50 for what included stickers and a lanyard.

Yeah this should be what you are looking for if you didn’t already find it.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The Pilot Institute will send you registration stickers for free.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks. All registered! (And only for $5)

I cannot wait to try it out!

Edit: thoughts on the Pilot Institute’s program to get 107 certified? I am in the process of looking into getting it while I just do my rec learning.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 2, 2024

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Edit: thoughts on the Pilot Institute’s program to get 107 certified. I am in the process of looking into getting it while I just do my rec learning.

I bought their course for half off on a Black Friday deal. I plan on starting it soon, but I didn’t have any trepidation about buying it because I’ve only heard good things about their course on other drone communities, notably the r/drones and r/DJI subreddits.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Edit: thoughts on the Pilot Institute’s program to get 107 certified? I am in the process of looking into getting it while I just do my rec learning.

check drone maps and find out if you can't fly in your area first.
https://portal.airspacelink.com/discover/advisories?loc=30.21801%2C-104.11899%2C3z
https://app.avision.io/B4UFLY?lat=40.73061&lng=-73.935242

also that mini 4 is gonna blow your mind. I remember the first few times I flew my drone and had that brain fog cause I was just overstimulated, poo poo is wild that it works at all let alone extremely well. and that's all before you gently caress with tracking, which is spooky.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

The mini 4 looks awesome ngl.

Anybody here using the dji motion controller? What are your thoughts?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks. I checked and I am good. I had a feeling because I am out in the middle of nowhere.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Anyone use a dedicated discharger? I recently bought a big 6s and did the full charge --> empty --> storage voltage routine, and the discharge part of the cycle took literally 3˝ hours. My charger's max discharge rate at 6s is 1.9A. So I kind of want to buy a discharger. There's two I'm looking at:
ISDT FD-200
SKYRC BD250
They both sort of look good at first glance but neither has got a balance port. Seems like an oversight to me. A balance port is required for a charger and I can't imagine why it wouldn't be for a discharger.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

crosspostin' the most dangerous drone selfie

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Isn't that discharger more like a bench tester, to make sure your battery can provide the advertised amps? I can't imagine doing a constant high-amp discharge is good for the batteries... I just put on one of those RDQ storage discharge things and wait overnight.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
1C for a 8000mah 6s is just over 200W. I agree that would be a silly amount to take out of a 1s lipo. But I don't believe it's overkill for this specific battery.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Fair enough. it would take a nice long while to discharge that at the <2a like most of our done chargers are capped at

You know this already but yeah 1C is the standard "safe" discharge rate. Maybe instead of discharger, search for load tester. Although that SkyRC unit comes up early so it might have similar results

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I built one similar to this:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2406395-An-effective-variable-load-automatic-LiPo-discharger

It's like 10 mins to discharge a 8000mAh 6S.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Sweet!

Stealing this.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

crosspostin' the most dangerous drone selfie

That picture kicks rear end, nice!

Do you mind me asking where you crossposted it to? Do we have a thread for cool urbex-adjacent pictures?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Well I guess I'm a real drone pilot now, I had my first crash.

Lesson is to not get in a rush to deploy. I've gotten really hasty taking off before I get full gps lock because I can just climb up and let it drift around until it gets lock and I'm good. This time it lifted up a little and I started moving it forward and it just stopped taking vertical input while simultaneously drifting forward not letting me correct, then crashed. The recovery operation was sketchy af. Cracked two propellers, gimble seems fine, but the drone was covered in water from landing in wet grass, I quickly shut it off and pulled the battery and dried everything off. Haven't changed the props yet so not sure if there's other issues.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hopefully not :rip:

They can be pretty unstable without a GPS lock. I leaned this the hard way with my bebop by doing basically the exact same thing you did and watching it shoot off backwards behind me at full speed

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Hopefully not :rip:

They can be pretty unstable without a GPS lock. I leaned this the hard way with my bebop by doing basically the exact same thing you did and watching it shoot off backwards behind me at full speed

Well the post on the motor where the propeller screws in is warped. I tried replacing the props you can't tighten one down all the way. So I've initiated a repair with dji. Ugh. Drone hamstrung by one tiny screw.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

drone defense grid closer to being a thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbe2kAo79zo

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Hello, aerial vehicle thread! The RC thread in AI sent me your way so I might crosspost for y'all!

Visited my parents today and decided I'd get some shots of dad's various projects that he's working on:

Cessna... 150, I believe? He's building this for one of his friends in the RC club he's in. It is absolutely bonkers how huge it is in person. I've asked him how the dude plans on transporting it because he's gonna need a trailer and he just laughed and said he's just building it, it's up to the dude to figure that out. Pictured hanging upside down at the top there is the FlightLine OV-10 Bronco, which has a 1400mm / 55" wingspan and this Cessna just utterly dwarfs it.

His various helis. Well, most of them. There's at least one Blade on a shelf elsewhere in the room :v: Pictured at the bottom there, next to the Bath & Body Works bag, is the front half of the fuselage to his other project that he's doing for another friend:

https://i.imgur.com/rciqa53.mp4
Scale Airwolf, with fiberglass body, retractable landing gear, and marker lights that he just wired in today. Apparently the body alone is $500 so he was a bit nervous about working on this one :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Dude! Sweet!

Those are some kickass navigation lights. I'm jealous.