Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

Chikimiki posted:

First off, accomodation: I was a bit surprised by the crazy prices in the city, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good, preferably cheap, hostel/hotel close to the city center. I don't mind a spartan comfort, as long as it's clean and calm. Otherwise, any good advices on Airbnb, apart from being careful with full apartment rentals? Any areas to avoid?
Staying in the city center (i.e. Manhattan) is going to be expensive. Staying in the outer boroughs (e.g. Brooklyn, Queens) like Test Pattern suggests is the better approach. I named an area in Brooklyn above that has not-crazy-expensive options and LIC is another good place for that. You'll be a 10-20 mins subway ride from Manhattan at most.

Chikimiki posted:

Second, is it worth driving down from NYC to Greensboro? Washington, DC is on the road, as well as the Shenandoah National Park, but I don't know if we would have enough time to appreciate those...
Oh, and does anyone know of a nice car rental service in or around New York? I've found some ok ones online (mainly enterprise.com), but the gringo in me would love to drive an old Lincoln or Gran Torino, if such a thing exists naturally :)
I know you have a few people in your group but I would fly. Driving south from NYC means you're driving through Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC. And avoiding all 4 cities' rush hours means driving very early or very late in the day. If you want to stop by Philly, DC, and some national parks for some sightseeing, then sure. If you're driving straight through, I'd rather fly or maybe take the train to DC and drive from DC. I hate driving.

Rental cars in NYC are expensive compared to other areas. I usually take a train into New Jersey and rent out of Newark Airport or New Brunswick.

Cacator posted:

Any recommendations for affordable eateries/bars/clubs in the West Village, considering it's a more upscale neighborhood?
West Village is such a cool area to explore I would just recommend wandering and stopping at any place that looks cool and you like the menu. If you have a particular style of food you are looking for, I can maybe suggest a couple places. NYC LAN thread is also good for that. Yesterday they were debating the best Korean fried chicken. NYC is only lacking in great Mexican and Vietnamese food imo.

Cacator posted:

What are the chances I'll see a snooty Hollywood celebrity?
I never see celebrities but any time I'm hosting friends or family, they always seem to spot them.

Cacator posted:

How's the weather, should I dress for cold winds or precipitation?
Yeah dress warmly (40-60°F). Might rain.

Cacator posted:

Is the Brooklyn flea market worth the trip? What's the hipster ratio there?
It's ok but likely everything will be more expensive than stuff you'd find at flea markets elsewhere.

Cacator posted:

I'm assuming if we were to try a prix fixe lunch at a Michelin starred restaurant, we'd need to be dressed fairly businesslike?
Depends on the restaurant. Places like Laut are casual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterbunny
Feb 2, 2007

Cacator posted:

Staying at The Jane for 6 days in early-mid November, it's my second time in New York and my friend's first. Random questions:
Any recommendations for affordable eateries/bars/clubs in the West Village, considering it's a more upscale neighborhood? What are the chances I'll see a snooty Hollywood celebrity?
How's the weather, should I dress for cold winds or precipitation?
Is the Brooklyn flea market worth the trip? What's the hipster ratio there?
I'm assuming if we were to try a prix fixe lunch at a Michelin starred restaurant, we'd need to be dressed fairly businesslike?

The West Village has a ton of affordable places, especially if you don't have to be tied to that exact region. Some of the best pizza-by-the-slice in NY can be found there, including Bleecker Street Pizza or Joe's Pizza.

Other affordable places are http://www.blindtigeralehouse.com/, umamiburger.com, and themeatballshop.com. I don't pay attention to celebs to be honest, but they tend to try and blend in as much as possible.

The weather in November can honestly be a coin flip between lovely autumnal weather in the mid 50s, or lately a bit higher in the 60s the past few years. It rarely snows that early in the year, but it's possible that there could be rain.

Typically the one-star Michelin restaurants ask for a minimum of smart-casual attire (think dressy button-down shirts with a sports coat + nice unripped demin and shoes). I'm super excited for the Tim Ho Wan to open up though for some 1-star dim sum though!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

Hotels: Long Island City (LIC) is very close in by subway or car and has a number of reasonably OK hotels that are much cheaper than hotels actually in Manhattan.

Driving: You're looking at a good 10 hours, only the end part of which has nice scenery. If you want to do it though, do it. The trick to driving down from NYC to the south is to (a) leave NYC at a time that avoids rush hour. Super early morning is good for that but it conflicts with (b) time things so you're not hitting DC rush hour. If you were familiar with the route and US driving practices, I'd say do it on the overnight, but as tourists, maybe shoot for for 6:30 am so you hit DC after morning rush but before lunch? I dunno.

Any rental company that's going to allow point-to-point or driving out of tristate is not going to rent anything but the usual run of rental cars, sorry.

Corben Goble-Garbus posted:

Staying in the city center (i.e. Manhattan) is going to be expensive. Staying in the outer boroughs (e.g. Brooklyn, Queens) like Test Pattern suggests is the better approach. I named an area in Brooklyn above that has not-crazy-expensive options and LIC is another good place for that. You'll be a 10-20 mins subway ride from Manhattan at most.
I know you have a few people in your group but I would fly. Driving south from NYC means you're driving through Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC. And avoiding all 4 cities' rush hours means driving very early or very late in the day. If you want to stop by Philly, DC, and some national parks for some sightseeing, then sure. If you're driving straight through, I'd rather fly or maybe take the train to DC and drive from DC. I hate driving.

Rental cars in NYC are expensive compared to other areas. I usually take a train into New Jersey and rent out of Newark Airport or New Brunswick.
West Village is such a cool area to explore I would just recommend wandering and stopping at any place that looks cool and you like the menu. If you have a particular style of food you are looking for, I can maybe suggest a couple places. NYC LAN thread is also good for that. Yesterday they were debating the best Korean fried chicken. NYC is only lacking in great Mexican and Vietnamese food imo.
I never see celebrities but any time I'm hosting friends or family, they always seem to spot them.
Yeah dress warmly (40-60°F). Might rain.
It's ok but likely everything will be more expensive than stuff you'd find at flea markets elsewhere.
Depends on the restaurant. Places like Laut are casual.

Thanks for the input! After looking at a good number of hotels, we eventually found a nice Airbnb room in Ridgewood, Brooklyn, which seems to be of rather good value (especially since we're a group of four to share it), and close to the Subway line M. Anything worthy of interest in that neighbourhood, or should we rather go straight for Manhattan/DUMBO/Williamsburg?

As for the roadtrip, I guess we'll forego the vintage car then and get something reasonable for 4 people at Newark airport - I just hope our french driving licenses will suffice to rent one.
We thought about driving overnight from New York, especially if the first half of the trip isn't very scenic... Is the driving style in the US really that different is the from the in Europe? For the record we had no problem with reckless driving throughout southern Europe, even if that was exhausting :v:
Concerning the stops along the way, we were thinking about Shenandoah NP, and either Philly or DC, plus a stop in Delaware for tax free shopping. Anything we're missing there?

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

Chikimiki posted:

We thought about driving overnight from New York, especially if the first half of the trip isn't very scenic... Is the driving style in the US really that different is the from the in Europe? For the record we had no problem with reckless driving throughout southern Europe, even if that was exhausting :v:
You should be fine. Just have a good navigator so you can focus on the road and signs. The dense highway system between NYC and DC can be an ordeal in some places but it's totally manageable.

Chikimiki posted:

Concerning the stops along the way, we were thinking about Shenandoah NP, and either Philly or DC, plus a stop in Delaware for tax free shopping. Anything we're missing there?
The last two weeks of October is projected to be peak fall foliage season in southeastern Pennsylvania. You could pick up your car at Newark Airport and drive to New Hope, PA (~70 min drive) and explore your way towards Washington Crossing, PA. Lots of forest in bright autumn colors along the Delaware River. Maybe Valley Forge if you want to see where Marquis de Lafayette (our French BFF) hung out with George Washington and helped defeat the British. This would all be very different than your trip so far in NYC. Then continue on to Philly (lots of historical stuff, cheaper, good museums and food) or DC (free & amazing museums). I'd consider staying a night there before continuing on to Shenandoah.

Afterlith
Jun 22, 2011

Non Omnis Moriar
There was an extraordinarily well-annotated map a bunch of goons put together of NYC places to go a long time ago but I can't find it anymore. Anyone who still has access to this thing? That map was responsible for some of the best times my ex and I had and I have had in my life.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

You should be fine. Just have a good navigator so you can focus on the road and signs. The dense highway system between NYC and DC can be an ordeal in some places but it's totally manageable.

The last two weeks of October is projected to be peak fall foliage season in southeastern Pennsylvania. You could pick up your car at Newark Airport and drive to New Hope, PA (~70 min drive) and explore your way towards Washington Crossing, PA. Lots of forest in bright autumn colors along the Delaware River. Maybe Valley Forge if you want to see where Marquis de Lafayette (our French BFF) hung out with George Washington and helped defeat the British. This would all be very different than your trip so far in NYC. Then continue on to Philly (lots of historical stuff, cheaper, good museums and food) or DC (free & amazing museums). I'd consider staying a night there before continuing on to Shenandoah.

Alright, thanks for the info! Definitely hoping to catch a glimpse of the Indian summer along the way. Personally I would have loved to check out DC and its museums, but I guess this wouldn't be possible in one day... Guess I'll be saving it for my next US trip :)

Afterlith posted:

There was an extraordinarily well-annotated map a bunch of goons put together of NYC places to go a long time ago but I can't find it anymore. Anyone who still has access to this thing? That map was responsible for some of the best times my ex and I had and I have had in my life.

That would indeed be very interesting! Anyone saved it?

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 18, 2016

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ah, just when you think you've mastered a tiny portion of the NYC subway system, they go and reroute the services due to construction. I didn't have access to the internet yesterday so it took me 90 minutes to figure out how to get back from 42nd St to Ralph Avenue in Brooklyn. Oh well. I still like that even though it does cost $2.75 a pop I can stay on the line as far as I like or switch lines without paying more.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Is Coney Island worth checking out now when everything's closed? I feel like I might get a bleak, desolate vision of American past/very near future vibe if I were to go which might be fun?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Cacator posted:

Is Coney Island worth checking out now when everything's closed? I feel like I might get a bleak, desolate vision of American past/very near future vibe if I were to go which might be fun?

Depends on what you mean by worth it - it is weird to see it all shut down, but I'm not sure what you'd do other than walk around and take moody photos. I guess you could always head to Brighton Beach afterwards, which is an interesting place its own right.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Update: Didn't end up going there as it was too far out of the way. But Dave Chappelle and Louis CK both did surprise sets at the Comedy Cellar the night I went!!!

Snorri
Apr 23, 2002

Cacator posted:

Update: Didn't end up going there as it was too far out of the way. But Dave Chappelle and Louis CK both did surprise sets at the Comedy Cellar the night I went!!!

Wow! Which night was this out of curiosity?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Snorri posted:

Wow! Which night was this out of curiosity?

November 11. We had flirted with the idea of lining up for SNL once we heard Chappelle was hosting but after learning how early people have to line up for rush tickets we were all "gently caress that" and since we heard big names occasionally pop in to the Comedy Cellar we figured we'd book some seats and settled on 11:30 at the Village Underground (the new one). Got seated stage centre right behind the first row and after the first four acts (all solid but the only name I recognized was Jerrod Carmichael who did a pretty great and very antisemitic joke) the MC says not to pull out your phones and announces Chappelle, (who did end up doing a lot of the same jokes on SNL the next day) and I'm pretty sure I was screaming like a teenage girl at that point. After Chappelle's set the MC comes up and says "let's keep this show going" and I'm wondering how the hell you can top that and then he announces Louis CK and I'm in utter disbelief. Incidentally we got seated with a regular who said that Louis CK did a set at the earlier show and his material this time around was completely different, and that he had heard from the staff that Chappelle was hanging out with Chris Rock around the corner before the show too but he didn't expect Chappelle to show up either. So in all a very rare and extremely lucky experience!!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi everyone. First time thread poster, long time Schenectedy visitor. Can someone explain to me how in the motherfuck people afford to live in the major NYC area? I mean I assume people don't have apartments two blocks from Times Square or anything but you guys have to live somewhere.

Right? :ohdear:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

First time poster in this thread. I'm gonna be in town for a show at the Javits during Super Bowl. Anybody have any ideas/places for my company to rent a room or something similar so we don't have to crowd around our TV in the hotel room? We don't really want to be in a bar with a $30 cover charge. Our hotel is across from MSG and we really enjoy K-Town so I was thinking of renting something there.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Tim Whatley posted:

First time poster in this thread. I'm gonna be in town for a show at the Javits during Super Bowl. Anybody have any ideas/places for my company to rent a room or something similar so we don't have to crowd around our TV in the hotel room? We don't really want to be in a bar with a $30 cover charge. Our hotel is across from MSG and we really enjoy K-Town so I was thinking of renting something there.

You're probably better off asking this in the NYC LAN thread.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

https://www.facebook.com/events/383767271976880/?ti=icl

But seriously, https://www.breather.com

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I miss this city so much and I was only there for 3 weeks.

If you go, always see if you can get tickets to Shakespeare in the Park. One of the best things I've done in my life.

Get one of those Belgian waffles with cookie butter.

Rent an RC sailboat in Central park.

Eat almost 24 hours a day.

Central Park zoo is small but has a great friendly feel to it. It's hard to quantify.

Bagelsbagelsbagelsbagelsbagelsbagelsbagels.

Great cheesecake at Vittorio's, I think?

Crying here thinking about food. God bless.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Chokes McGee posted:

Hi everyone. First time thread poster, long time Schenectedy visitor. Can someone explain to me how in the motherfuck people afford to live in the major NYC area? I mean I assume people don't have apartments two blocks from Times Square or anything but you guys have to live somewhere.

Right? :ohdear:

Dude, right near TSQ aren't even particularly expensive residences. But seriously, north of 110 or in any of the outer boroughs (other than prime Brooklyn, which is now pricier than loving Carnegie Hill I don't even) is not "cheap" but can be affordable. Especially if you get roommates in a small walk-up off a lesser subway (lol the G).

If you're willing to accept a 90-120 minute commute (which a lot of people do), you can even buy a house for only 200% of national average for comparables!

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Whats the legality of AirBnB in NYC? Im thinking of going there in april but hotels are way too expensive. I mostly want to go for the museums/art galleries

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

the culminator posted:

Whats the legality of AirBnB in NYC? Im thinking of going there in april but hotels are way too expensive. I mostly want to go for the museums/art galleries

I can't speak for NYC but I stayed at a AirBnB in Jersey city when I did a 4 day trip to NYC a few years ago. It was actually really nice, and quite cheap too. Getting from Jersey City to NYC is also really easy, just make sure you are within walking distance to the PATH.

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

I bet you are wondering what I call my penis... it's the

the culminator posted:

I checked into an Air bnb today in manhattan with no issues. Ive heard it isn't legal but so far so good. I'll update if I get kicked out and end up sleeping under a bridge.

That brings me to my question, any bars I need to check out in the Flatiron area? I'm just here for the weekend to wander and eat and drink.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

theOctagon posted:

That brings me to my question, any bars I need to check out in the Flatiron area? I'm just here for the weekend to wander and eat and drink.
Not really. Walk 10 blocks downtown and wander West Village to Greenwich Village to East Village and turn down to Lower East Side for all the bars you could ask for.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's illegal in NYC to rent out a whole house or apartment for less than 30 days if the original renter isn't there. They've started cracking down recently, but it's plenty easy to find people renting private rooms.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm gonna be in the city all next week and have a couple days with no work or plans. What's some fun stuff to do alone? Looks like it might rain so I'm thinking indoor stuff, like going to an indie movie theater or a lesser known museum or something like that. Bookstores and movie/DVD stores would be great too. Not real into bars but cool cafes are good. Staying in Manhattan but I'll wander around anywhere.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Asking on behalf of a younger cousin: he's 18 and about to graduate high school this June, and is planning on taking a gap year. He has a lot of teenage experience in theater, music, etc. and is interested in working in the entertainment industry (his dad is a theatre manager in their small Midwest city). So basically he's a smalltown boy dreaming of the big city, and willing to slum it in his gap year just to get some basic work/city experience and then maybe go to college the following year. Pretty cliche stuff but he's into it.

Can anyone recommend any articles/sites/etc that would be informative for him? Like if he has a few grand saved up, is it practical for an 18yr old to move to NYC with just a backpack and a duffle, and either find some kind of internship or starter job in the arts industry that pays at least survival amounts, and/or can find a basic labor job that's enough to afford cheap rent and groceries so he can do arts and network in his spare time? Really flexible kid, so he'd be fine living in one of those "six people sharing bunk beds in one room" kinda rental situation, just wants to not be homeless or starving and the rest is fine. I just don't know much about NYC so want to know where to send him to ask questions, or if there are some go-to articles for "so you're a smalltown boy/girl and want to move to the Big City and make a go of it" standard spiels.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Daveski posted:

I'm gonna be in the city all next week and have a couple days with no work or plans. What's some fun stuff to do alone? Looks like it might rain so I'm thinking indoor stuff, like going to an indie movie theater or a lesser known museum or something like that. Bookstores and movie/DVD stores would be great too. Not real into bars but cool cafes are good. Staying in Manhattan but I'll wander around anywhere.

Museums. We have a lot and most of them are great. Lesser known and good: art: Frick, whitney, MoMA PS1 in LIC, Brooklyn museum, folk art, cloisters; cultural: museo del barrio, Jewish museum, native American museum at the battery, and on and on (whatever your ethnic backgrounds and interests, there's likely to be at least one museum laser-targeted for you in the city)
Only bookstore worth going to as a tourist (unless you have a special interest in one of the specialized stores that remain) is Strand. With Kim's gone, no movie store is worth visiting as a tourist.
Cafes, there's at least one somewhat cool cafe or cafe-likw space in almost everyneighborhood .

The problem with recommending anyone anything is there's something for everyone. Into film? Museum of the Moving Image, good indie cinemas in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Into cafe culture or coffee conneisurship? Cafes for both of those.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Test Pattern posted:

Museums. We have a lot and most of them are great. Lesser known and good: art: Frick, whitney, MoMA PS1 in LIC, Brooklyn museum, folk art, cloisters; cultural: museo del barrio, Jewish museum, native American museum at the battery, and on and on (whatever your ethnic backgrounds and interests, there's likely to be at least one museum laser-targeted for you in the city)
Only bookstore worth going to as a tourist (unless you have a special interest in one of the specialized stores that remain) is Strand. With Kim's gone, no movie store is worth visiting as a tourist.
Cafes, there's at least one somewhat cool cafe or cafe-likw space in almost everyneighborhood .

The problem with recommending anyone anything is there's something for everyone. Into film? Museum of the Moving Image, good indie cinemas in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Into cafe culture or coffee conneisurship? Cafes for both of those.

Thanks for the reply. I am indeed into film, so I'll check that one out. I've been to Strand several times, I'll probably check it out again though if I'm nearby.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

If you're looking for film screenings in NYC, screenslate.com is a very good resource.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm looking into taking a weekend trip in mid-May to NYC with 7 of my in laws. We're gonna be staying in Jersey, near Manhattan. Other than the usual touristy monument and central park stuff, what can you guys recommend we check out? I know the mother-in-law wants to go to china town, a couple others wanna go to Times Square, my wife and I wanna go to the history museum, and we're all apparently checking out the WTC/9/11 memorial. Anything really interesting that's off the beaten path would be great.

Also, how well does Trip Advisor do at sorting out the best restaurants in town? It hasn't failed me yet, but I know that NYC is kind of a food mecca. Would I be better off limiting restaurant searches to wherever I'm planning on being for that particular meal, or should I search city wide for whatever I'm hungry for and head in that direction?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm looking into taking a weekend trip in mid-May to NYC with 7 of my in laws. We're gonna be staying in Jersey, near Manhattan. Other than the usual touristy monument and central park stuff, what can you guys recommend we check out? I know the mother-in-law wants to go to china town, a couple others wanna go to Times Square, my wife and I wanna go to the history museum, and we're all apparently checking out the WTC/9/11 memorial. Anything really interesting that's off the beaten path would be great.

Also, how well does Trip Advisor do at sorting out the best restaurants in town? It hasn't failed me yet, but I know that NYC is kind of a food mecca. Would I be better off limiting restaurant searches to wherever I'm planning on being for that particular meal, or should I search city wide for whatever I'm hungry for and head in that direction?

I use Yelp in the city and have not been disappointed. The Roosevelt Island tram is neat if you've never done it, I think it's the same cost of a subway ride each way (we came off the subway for it so got the free transfer going out to the island). The Staten Island ferry is a free way to get close to the Statue of Liberty without paying for the $20+ tour.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
This is a great calendar listing various art/tech/history events:
http://nerdyorkcity.com

If you're looking for film screenings in NYC, screenslate.com is a very good resource.

Thanks! Didn't know about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

neogeo0823 posted:

At least in my neighborhood TripAdvisor seems somewhat biased towards places that are mostly popular with tourists (not to say that they're bad, just busy). Yelp and FourSquare are fairly popular options here.

Unless you're going to a restaurant as a destination (which, if you're into food, you totally can and should!) you won't need to search city-wide. There's good food almost everywhere - avoid national chains and everything near Times Square and you'll do OK.

• Locked thread