Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Same for South America apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They took it. I'm stunned, didn't expect that.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gv823gW&ampcf=1

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Woah

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Two more were stuck .

https://www.newsweek.com/ship-us-soybeans-finally-docks-china-after-waiting-over-one-month-1069990

Star Jennifer and Cemtex Pioneer

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
My father in law was on the AKADEMIK IOFFE, Sounds like there was some pretty serious damage...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/kugaaruk-passenger-ship-refloated-arctic-1.4799050

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Random question. On vacation in Charleston two weeks ago and the kids got interested in where all the ships were coming from and going to. We ended up tracking a car carrier on marinetraffic.com (Sirius Highway, if anyone cares) and it appears to have changed it's destination port a couple times (originally listed as going to Belgium and being there 5 days ago), spent a few days anchored in the Irish sea, and is finally back underway after what seemed like an unplanned stop in England and is now headed to Germany.

So is the free version of marinetraffic.com just flakey, did the ship really have a bit of a weird crossing. The kids want to know what's up and I don't know what to tell them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If they were empty they might not have had a return contract. Car carriers are a bit of a weird trade though so I don’t know.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

If they were empty they might not have had a return contract. Car carriers are a bit of a weird trade though so I don’t know.

Yeah I wish I understood them better too, I haven't sailed on anything but oilfield junk and box ships since I was a cadet on the Lakes

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I gotta imagine it wasn't empty because there was another one loading up off of a rail yard full of BMWs from the SC plant but maybe? I guess if it's weird it's weird and that's still something for the kids to learn.

Couldn't believe how big the ships were though. Like a giant floating box with a little bit of a bow. Didn't even really look like a ship.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There might have also been other rolling stock cargos in the vessel for the other ports or to load in the other ports. They don't just carry cars. Anything with wheels or that one can secure to a mafi can ship on a roro: Ag equipment, bulldozers, even factories in cases on mafis.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
http://www.kline.com/CarCarrier-Schedules/Car-Carrier_RoRo_Sailing_Schedule.pdf

its a kline ship. baltimore loads a shitton of junk cars and ag equipment so it probably wasn't empty.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
On the Green Cove, we drifted off Japan for 6 weeks waiting for production to start up after Fukushima. We finally got cargo and went to Australia with cars and heavy equipment before returning to Japan. There we grabbed more cars and heavy equipment, stopped in Honolulu, Lazaro Cardenas, went through the canal and hit San Juan, Florida and I got off in Baltimore. Their return trip was supposed to work down to Houston and then head to south America, through the Straights and back to Japan.

It all really depends on what cargo they can find but the run is nowhere near as fixed as box boats.

Also, like Brandor said. You can load trailors, tractors, tanks, whatever. We just carried two food truck trailors, a bunch of Navy ATVs, some FEMA trailors and assorted other crap.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 6, 2018

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I just received the weirdest loving email. Well, the email itself wasn't that weird, but it was weird that it was sent to me.

The email was from the department in a town administration that runs a small local ferry, referencing a conversation between the sender (who has a crewing department function, I think) and the supposed recipient who's a mate on the ferry, and contains time sheets and other slightly personal stuff. This mate has the same first name as me and his last name KIND of sounds like mine, but the difference is pretty distinct. How the gently caress did that get sent to me.

It wasn't a totally random ferry either. The island it serves is where my grandparents lived until 20-odd years ago, so I've taken it quite a lot during my lifetime, but last time was maybe a year ago, and it's not like they collect email addresses.

I wrote back to the dude, but no reply so far.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Consumer is getting scrapped.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Never sailed on it, was it time?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Well past time. Matson broke it out and they did one last voyage to Hono.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

BrandorKP posted:

Saw that.

They were putting as little as possible into it so it was falling apart. The day 2nd job on there is where it's at. Still, air conditioned control room on a steamship is awesome. Writing is on the wall for all those steamships though, 2020 is it. That's a big loss of billets and a bunch of dedicated steam engineers coming over to compete for diesel jobs.

Keep getting hit by hurricanes in Honolulu, this is not how it's supposed to go!

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I'm looking to do a cadet term on an international line. the domestic stuff I've done here in Canada is lacking... My goal is to learn as much as possible, and from what people are telling me, my best best is working international. Unfortunately, our placement office doesn't have much advice how to get a work term/ job with anything outside of Canada. anybody have recommendations?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Which school are you at? Owen Sound?

Talk to the cruise lines.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Almost time to go back to the hall, booooo. Whenever I forget how to fix some problem I spent three or four months dealing with daily, it's time to go back.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
3rd on the Manoa should be up mid Nov I think.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
Question for offshore people: I've got a masters unlimited, and I went back to University a few years back to do a Mechatronics engineering degree. I'm about a year away from finishing that degree. Does anyone know what is required for ROV operator/maintainer or Electro Technical Officer roles?

Or I might just end up back on the bridge, but in a better position to annoy the marine engineers 😀

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Most of the rov crew I've been with had either electrical engineering or electrician trade. Some had backgrounds in hydraulics but they were less common. When times were good a heart beat and a bst were enough to get a full time with the big operators but we aren't quite back to that level yet.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

flashman posted:

Most of the rov crew I've been with had either electrical engineering or electrician trade. Some had backgrounds in hydraulics but they were less common. When times were good a heart beat and a bst were enough to get a full time with the big operators but we aren't quite back to that level yet.

Yeah it seems like formally trained people are in the office except academy mates/engineers, we had a random EE sailing ETO at HOS on a diesel electric osv for a while but he got bored and went back to designing motor controllers out of his garage.

Honestly an experienced master unlimited with formal training in robuts should probably find a like really specialized shoreside role right?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

You might want to talk to a head hunter.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I keep reading that post and I think he's qualified to be a Power Ranger

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

There was a goon who had a job shoreside programming drone ships or something, go do that.

Don’t loving sail after you have your sea time in if you have a degree, this is how you end up crazy.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What is this guy like sitting in class reading his drillship master's pay stubs lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

shovelbum posted:

I keep reading that post and I think he's qualified to be a Power Ranger

Sometimes one can over specialize too, nobody knows what to do with you, but they know for drat sure they can't afford you.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Does anyone know anything about the safety culture at Saltchuk other than you know TOTE?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

TOTE seems to me like a significant signifier. Maybe they’ve changed since they, you know, killed 30 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Anyone know why there's so many applicants in the union halls this year? It seems like a ton more than last year but I figured non union work was picking up

• Locked thread