Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I caught that Front Line Assembly, Numan, and Ministry show last night.

Turns out those bangers like "Burning Inside" and "So What" are still fun as gently caress to see live. Catharrtic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yep, just a wall of aggressive, thumping sound. Was great.

Would have liked a surprise Revenge or something but that’s alright. I’m probably in the minority on that one.

Also, since he's ok with a single one-off person coming on to sing for a song, how awesome would it have been to have Chris Connelly come out for So What?

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 31, 2024

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

hatelull posted:

I caught that Front Line Assembly, Numan, and Ministry show last night.

Turns out those bangers like "Burning Inside" and "So What" are still fun as gently caress to see live. Catharrtic.

Yes!! I didn’t love the first half of the set tbh but I couldn’t deny when they started up NWO… it was like the air shifted. That new song where they repeat “THAT’S JUST NOT RIGHT” is one of the worst songs I’ve ever loving heard in my entire life

Gary Numan was amazing too, and I saw Chelsea Wolfe the night before who was incredible. Good times!

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 31, 2024

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The best new Ministry was that Christmas song he did.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Jehde posted:

Still a bit deaf from HEALTH last night. It was awesome. Much better audience this time around. I really need to start bringing ear plugs to shows.

You sound like me before I got tinnitus. I'd literally give away my house to get rid of the ringing if I could.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Worn earplugs ever since kmfdm in 2003 but damage was done. Been to much louder shows since (My Bloody Valentine especially), but protected.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Please wear ear protection and if possible, always carry it with you. I have mine on my keychain.

You only have one set of ears and people have literally been driven to madness by tinnitus

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I wore ear plugs at the last show but I had to take them out. I was getting like a reverberation/echo? How to explain but it sucked. I assume I just need better fitting ones - these were the cheap foam kind. Didn’t happen to my wife.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I used to use reusable Etymotic ones, ~$15 from Amazon. They advertise that they cut sound levels equally for music so you don't get that muffled foam feeling.

But for years now I've just been using my bluetooth earbuds, and tweak how much noise cancelling they do. They seem to work fantastically, and they're always on me :shrug:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The noise cancelling earbuds is a good idea.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Been using loop earplugs both playing and attending shows for years. While they're not as great as fitted ones, I still highly recommend them.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

a cyborg mug posted:

I have mine on my keychain.

This is a good idea.

teethgrinder posted:

But for years now I've just been using my bluetooth earbuds, and tweak how much noise cancelling they do. They seem to work fantastically, and they're always on me :shrug:

This is also a good idea.

I've been meaning to bring ear plugs to shows for years (decades), I've just never developed the habit, so I only remember when it's too late.

I have been looking at some noise cancelling bluetooth ear buds for other loud noise reasons, so maybe I should just bite the bullet (heh) and pony up for them already, then just keep them on me at all times for all situations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

2DCAT posted:

Been using loop earplugs both playing and attending shows for years. While they're not as great as fitted ones, I still highly recommend them.

For cheap but better-than-foam, I really like Thunderplugs

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Kaddish posted:

Also, since he's ok with a single one-off person coming on to sing for a song, how awesome would it have been to have Chris Connelly come out for So What?

I don't think Connelly is particularly interested in ever working with Al again, his biography was pretty bleak on where that relationship ended up. He is going to be on the next Pig record though.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Danger - Octopus! posted:

For cheap but better-than-foam, I really like Thunderplugs

foam earplugs get a bad rap. given that 1) OSHA and NIOSH say you should be cutting printed noise-reduction ratings by more than half and 2) every 10 decibels beyond 85dB sustained you expose yourself to halves the amount of time it takes to suffer hearing damage, foam earplugs with NRRs >30 are some of the best hearing protection you can buy

and I like to think that the utilitarian aesthetic of wearing the bright orange things they hand out on job sites adds to my industrial street cred

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Listerine posted:

I don't think Connelly is particularly interested in ever working with Al again, his biography was pretty bleak on where that relationship ended up. He is going to be on the next Pig record though.

Man, I totally forgot that I had read that book when it came out - and I remember very little about it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I like Al's 242 sticker on his Strat here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1GeZGxhds

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Kaddish posted:

Man, I totally forgot that I had read that book when it came out - and I remember very little about it.

The only things I remember are how he was always doing coke during that period, and the story of seeing Al for the last time.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Kaddish posted:

I remember him summarily, insultingly dismissing bands like manufacture and controlled bleeding like his poo poo didn't stink. I also remember the story of Ogre's skinny, purple-haired, militant-vegan girlfriend that was with him on one leg of a Pigface tour, and how the rest of the musicians dubbed her Skeletor.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
FLA announced a bunch of Millennium anniversary re-releases, two vinyl which appear to be just the album and a 2 CD set with the B sides and remixes. I think some of the remixes didn't get released in the US (or maybe at all on FLA releases?) but it's honestly hard to tell because remixes will have different names sometimes.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Remaster or just remixes?

Edit - Remaster, that's cool. I might get it.

https://frontlineassembly.bandcamp.com/merch/fla-millennium-2024-2lp-vinyl

Edit - Purchased!

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 6, 2024

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There was an obscure remaster like a decade ago, wonder if it’s the same audio. I think they did Hard Wired too

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

david_a posted:

There was an obscure remaster like a decade ago, wonder if it’s the same audio. I think they did Hard Wired too

Wasn’t the Hard Wired remaster a box set or something? I remember seeing it at the time, and I kinda wanted it, but I don’t need ten remixes of Circuitry or whatever.

Auritech fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 6, 2024

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Auritech posted:

Wasn’t the Hard Wired remaster a box set or something? I remember seeing it at the time, and I kinda wanted it, but I don’t need ten remixes of Circuitry or whatever.

You know what, I must have been remembering the 20th anniversary releases
:negative:

Looks like Hard Wired was a box set with Live Wired and a bunch of remixes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Auritech posted:

I completely missed out on this and there aren't actually ten remixes of Circuitry which is disappointing so I might pass on tracking this down.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

VNV Nation tonight

SWORRRRRRDS!!!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
They'll be here next week but I have a work trip so I have to miss it. SAD.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Holy poo poo. For episode #500, ID:YD has a three hour interview with Joakim Montelius and Eskil Simonsson.

quote:

From industrial to techno to EBM and from teenage friendships to major label deals to fractures within the band, Joakim and Eskil spent nearly three hours with us laying down what we hope stands as the definitive interview with this storied and beloved act.
Really looking forward to this.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:lol: I thought the big 500 they'd been teasing for over month was going to be an interview with Gary Numan.

Covenant's good too, though.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It’s a slammin interview

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Eskil has a very soothing voice. He should read chill audiobooks or idk do bedtime story ASMR videos of Swedish folktales or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
Just got back from seeing Stabbing Westward, and they were great. They played the hits, can't complain.

The opener, SYZYGX were so atrocious we wondered if it wasn't a practical joke. Easily the worst live act I've seen in my entire life.

The real story though is that I got gouged for 40 bux to park in an alley a block from the venue because DC is a hellscape. The ticket for the show was $30. I paid more to park than to see the drat band.