Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Peyote Panda posted:

The bright side to that as a taxpayer is that if you paid the full amount due by the original due date you shouldn't have any penalties for the late filing because those are calculated as a percentage of any tax liability that was still unpaid after the original due date.

Hopefully he'll just need to resubmit and make sure it goes through this time. If you've already paid in full, that should sort it out.

BTW, once a return with an amount due finishes processing you may get a CP14 notice that only shows a balance due without reflecting your full payments. If you do get that, log back in to the IRS website and check Balance Online and/or pull a 2022 account transcript to see if there's an actual balance before doing anything else.

So, this gets even worse! I dug back through my emails and I found that I got an automated response from the preparers software with a form 9325 showing that my return 2022 return was electronically accepted on 4/18/2023.

I logged on to my IRS account and I don't see any balance. I emailed all this info to my tax preparer and he basically said that he did everything right and that this is an IRS problem and to go gently caress yourself.

I tried calling the 800-829-1040 number on the transcript letter to try and talk to a human but I after going through five layers of phone tree it hangs up on me due to high call volume. What the gently caress am I supposed to do here? Is there another number to call?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Ne Cede Malis posted:

So, this gets even worse! I dug back through my emails and I found that I got an automated response from the preparers software with a form 9325 showing that my return 2022 return was electronically accepted on 4/18/2023.

Just for clarity -- was the 9325 for the extension or for the return itself? Box 2 would be checked for the return, but box 6 would be checked for the extension.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That sounds frustrating. Maybe it is on the IRS side, not your preparer?

Ne Cede Malis posted:

We're trying to buy a house this year and I assume not having 2022 filed will gently caress up trying to get a mortgage approved?

If this is the only thing that could get hung up, you might be ok. You've paid your taxes, you have the returns, right? Does the bank even need the IRS to be fully caught up? Hopefully the IRS backlog is common enough that banks don't hold up loans for it.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Ne Cede Malis posted:

I tried calling the 800-829-1040 number on the transcript letter to try and talk to a human but I after going through five layers of phone tree it hangs up on me due to high call volume. What the gently caress am I supposed to do here? Is there another number to call?
Yeah, the standard toll-free line is pretty jammed most of the time. Here's a couple of possible steps.

1) The phone lines are open 7am to 7pm in your time zone (as long as you are in the continental US) Monday through Friday. Calling at the very beginning or toward the end of that time range is usually the best way to get through.

2) Call the IRS appointment line at 844-545-5640. Let them know you want an appointment, they'll ask some questions to verify your identity (basics like your Social Security number, name, address). They might also ask some additional questions from one of your tax returns for ID purposes. It doesn't have to be for the same year as the issue you're caling about so feel free to use your 2023 info since that may be easier to remember. Have the return info with you when you call if possible (this goes for option #1 as well). The assistor setting the appointment is supposed to research your account as part of the process and might be able to provide some info/help during the call in addition to setting up an appointment.

These are not mutually exclusive. You can set up an appointment and still try to call the standard toll-free line when you have the chance.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Missing Donut posted:

Just for clarity -- was the 9325 for the extension or for the return itself? Box 2 would be checked for the return, but box 6 would be checked for the extension.

Boxes 1 and 2 are checked.

Epitope posted:

That sounds frustrating. Maybe it is on the IRS side, not your preparer?

If this is the only thing that could get hung up, you might be ok. You've paid your taxes, you have the returns, right? Does the bank even need the IRS to be fully caught up? Hopefully the IRS backlog is common enough that banks don't hold up loans for it.

Everything is paid and I have the returns but I'm not going to chance any bullshit blowing up a deal. This process is stressful enough.

Peyote Panda posted:

These are not mutually exclusive. You can set up an appointment and still try to call the standard toll-free line when you have the chance.

I guess I'll try this, thanks.