Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've read that story; the modern engine breaks down so the old steam engine has to haul it and the carriages all the way to the end of the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Still happens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vLWBP-ehOo

(Does not actually happen now, freight train just needed a friendly push)

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
It actually happened a while back with a Eurostar train - the old Southern Railway network in SE England is 3rd Rail electricification (tl;dr reason - it's a glorified commuter network and 3rd rail was cheaper than overhead) and bad weather over winter broke it.

So Tornado picked up the stranded passengers and took them to London.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8428097.stm

quote:

About 100 people were offered free seats, according to Mark Allatt, chairman of The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust - the charity which built Tornado.
He said: "It was a nice way to finish for Christmas, though I think some of the rescued passengers didn't realise they'd even been travelling on a steam train until they got off."
Mr Allatt, who was on the service at the time, said he only saw a handful of other trains between London and Dover throughout Monday.
He added: "If any of the train operators want to modernise their services by using steam trains, I would be happy to give them a quote."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
X-post from the comics megathread! Just look at all the optimism for the future of railroading ! The great railroad meltdown was gathering momentum but nobody realized it yet.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I always love the use of "ELECTRONIC BRAIN" in the back then days. Makes you think there's some clean room with this ominous white machine with a clear plastic dome containing an array of flashing lights and glowing tubes, with a name like Colosson or something.

Somewhere I have a PR booklet from the opening of the PRR Conway yard, which was the first computer controlled yard in the US. Maybe the world even. Pretty sure it says electronic brain more times than computer.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

X-post from the comics megathread! Just look at all the optimism for the future of railroading ! The great railroad meltdown was gathering momentum but nobody realized it yet.

Although that illustration seems to predict the advent of Conrail by about three decades.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

fiction becomes reality

https://x.com/davidpgoldman/status/1767527231520149526?s=20

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Those old sci-fi visions didn't look far enough ahead. We're living in the future. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the DARPA/Northrop Grumman Lunar Railroad:

https://news.northropgrumman.com/news/releases/northrop-grumman-to-develop-concept-for-lunar-railroad posted:

REDONDO BEACH, Calif. – March 19, 2024 – Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC) has been selected by DARPA to further develop the concept of building a moon-based railroad network as part of the broader 10-year Lunar Architecture (LunA-10) Capability Study. The envisioned lunar railroad network could transport humans, supplies and resources for commercial ventures across the lunar surface – contributing to a space economy for the United States and international partners.

Northrop Grumman’s study will:

- Define the interfaces and resources required to build a lunar rail network.
- Establish a critical list of foreseeable cost, technological and logistical risks.
- Identify prototypes, demonstrations and analyses of a fully operating lunar rail system’s concept design and architecture.
- Explore concepts for constructing and operating the system with robotics, including grading and foundation preparation, track placement and alignment, joining and finishing, inspection, maintenance and repair.

(not fake!)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
god drat sometimes the future rules

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Those old sci-fi visions didn't look far enough ahead. We're living in the future. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the DARPA/Northrop Grumman Lunar Railroad:

(not fake!)

So they're just going to get paid to play a ton if Lunar Rails?

Nice

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
Here's a very cool look at the Autoverlad (car shuttle) between Goppenstein and Kandersteg :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfUGuozFDRg

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So it’s like the AutoTrain, except better in every conceivable way?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Kandersteg’s no Orlando, at least

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Kandersteg’s no Orlando, at least

Orlando is the Ohio of Florida.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

switzerland is the florida of europe

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Years ago, before my first trip to Switzerland, one of my friends said "you'll love Switzerland. That place is the Texas of Europe."

I feel this assessment is correct.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Sash! posted:

Years ago, before my first trip to Switzerland, one of my friends said "you'll love Switzerland. That place is the Texas of Europe."

As a Texan living in Switzerland, no, it very much isn’t. The Mexican food is far worse, for one.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
How much Nazi gold does Texas have?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Peanut President posted:

switzerland is the florida of europe

I've heard that Andorra is the Alabama of Europe

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Stultus Maximus posted:

How much Nazi gold does Texas have?

A lot less than Switzerland

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I've heard that Andorra is the Alabama of Europe

Given that Bavaria is the Kentucky of Germany, I always figured Austria was Europe’s Alabama.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Full Collapse posted:

Given that Bavaria is the Kentucky of Germany, I always figured Austria was Europe’s Alabama.

My dad, a Middle Franconian who carries his accent through four different languages, once made fun of my living in Alabama.

"...Hicksville".

"Dad. You are a villager from the middle of nowhere yourself. At least we have an airport."

"I never denied that. There's always the Austrians."

"That you share most of your dialect with."

"gently caress."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

As a Texan living in Switzerland, no, it very much isn’t. The Mexican food is far worse, for one.

You have to recalibrate for Europe-ness.

A country with people carrying guns around and cattle, plus the occasional SUV.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

For once futurist got it 100% right and ATO4 like the latest Metros are fantastic

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

and the new england of europe? that's right: france

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sash! posted:

Switzerland has far too many trains and harsh traffic law enforcement.

Bavaria is more like the Texas of Europe.

Staunchly conservative, cars rule everything, constant saber rattling about wanting to secede.

And everything's bigger in Bavaria, including the people.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

KozmoNaut posted:

Switzerland has far too many trains and harsh traffic law enforcement.

Bavaria is more like the Texas of Europe.

Staunchly conservative, cars rule everything, constant saber rattling about wanting to secede.

And everything's bigger in Bavaria, including the people.

It's Austria. Sure, you used to be a big deal, now you're just a liability to everybody else.