Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Minister of Sound posted:

I work full-time as a letterer. In my experience, when poo poo like this happens, it's usually at the writer's behest and the editor will have their back. I suspect that's what happened here. If a letterer tried this on their own, they'd probably be replaced.

Oh dear. Well, I hope the writer changes their mind, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Minister of Sound posted:

I work full-time as a letterer. In my experience, when poo poo like this happens, it's usually at the writer's behest and the editor will have their back. I suspect that's what happened here. If a letterer tried this on their own, they'd probably be replaced.

My apologies; I maligned your profession unfairly. I assumed it was in the script as "What caused those SEIZURES?" and the letterers went ham on it as opposed to just bolding 'seizures' in the word balloon.

If you can answer -- is my assumption about comic companies subcontracting lettering (and, increasingly, coloring) for financial reasons true, or is it around having a flexible labor pool to guarantee fast/on-time issue completion?

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

Admiralty Flag posted:

My apologies; I maligned your profession unfairly. I assumed it was in the script as "What caused those SEIZURES?" and the letterers went ham on it as opposed to just bolding 'seizures' in the word balloon.

If you can answer -- is my assumption about comic companies subcontracting lettering (and, increasingly, coloring) for financial reasons true, or is it around having a flexible labor pool to guarantee fast/on-time issue completion?

Oh, you're good! No offense was taken! I just wanted to shed some light on how this may have happened, and that was a perfectly valid thing to assume.

As for subcontracting…it depends on the publisher. Marvel has mostly used freelance letterers since the early 90s, but I think that was the letterers' call more than Marvel's. The ones I know of who worked for the bullpen found they could make more money freelancing (and do it from home), so they just went for it. DC had an in-house lettering department until the late-2010s, and I reckon it folded for the reasons you stated (plus most of their lettering staff didn't want to move from NYC to Burbank, so they were short a few hands anyway). As for colorists, I can't really say, except companies haven't had in-house colorists since the rise of digital coloring.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I know IDW, while not allergic to using freelancers, has a stable of in-house letterers (who also serve as production designers; seems like a lot of overlap between the two positions these days); when one of those guys got the axe back in last year's layoffs (Shawn Lee), some of the books he was the main letterer on (like Sonic and TMNT) opted to continue having him do lettering freelance

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
A really standout cover by Terry Moore/James Offredi

https://twitter.com/PatShand/status/1759610168063508643

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 19, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Deep Cuts #5

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Haunted #12 (1973)
Letters: Ray Burzon

Ghostly Tales #109 (1974)
Letters: Pete Morisi

Ghostly Tales #109 (1974)
Letters: Charlotte Jetter

Ghostly Tales #110 (1974)
Pencils/Inks: Murray Postell
Colors: ?

The Darkness #37 (2001)
Pencils: Mark Pajarillo, Brian Denham, Eric Basaldua, and Joel Gomez
Inks: Alp Altiner, Jon Sibal, Victor Llamas, and Eric Basaldua
Colors: Peter Steigerwald, John Starr, and Matt Nelson

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Batman: The Brave and the Bold is still keeping it interesting. This is from #11.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Batman: The Brave and the Bold is still keeping it interesting. This is from #11.

love the texture on this page

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What texture? I'm pawing at my screen and I can't feel anything.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lobok posted:

What texture? I'm pawing at my screen and I can't feel anything.

They mean texture like with food, obviously you have to lick your monitor to get it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Grendels Dad posted:

They mean texture like with food, obviously you have to lick your monitor to get it.

Ah thill on't theel a'ythih

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blue Beetle #44 (1946)
Pencils/Inks: E. C. Stoner
Colors: ?

Tales to Astonish #20 (1961)
Pencils/Inks: Steve Ditko
Colors: Stan Goldberg

Manhunter #17 (1988)
Pencils: Grant Miehm
Inks: John Statema
Colors: Julianna Ferriter

Prophet #10 (1995)
Pencils: Stephen Platt
Inks: Marlo Alquiza
Colors: Byron Talman and Extreme Color

Extreme Sacrifice Epilogue #2 (1995)
Pencils: Marat Mychaels, Stephen Platt, Rob Liefeld, Pat Lee, Cedric Nocon, Todd Nauck, Karl Altstaetter
Inks: Danny Miki, Jon Sibal, Norm Rapmund
Colors: Christian Lichtner, Nathan Lumm, Extreme Color

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Eye've arrived, surely.

Also, the Manhunter picture would look so much better without the giant Turtley Urban Rage Fighters-logo.

Also also, I assume Crypt's and Prophet's weaknesses are laserswords and giant axes, respectively.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I had to check something

Still a bit scuffed, but in a way you could write off as stylised exaggeration

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

This is great.

I LOVE the use of contrast and the whole "so loose it's tight" style. I really struggle to implement when I draw anything no matter how much I try. A lot of people think that artists who work loose like this are cheating but, trust me, you really have to be a good draftsman in the first place to pull it off.

It's just my style, but I could never really loosen up enough to bring this type of surreal texture to my stuff in ways that didn't look sloppy.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I had to check something

Still a bit scuffed, but in a way you could write off as stylised exaggeration

This, on the other hand, is trash.

Darthemed has been posting a whole lot of older stuff that can be easy to dismiss or laugh at and may look awkward but I always remind myself just how little photo reference artists had to work with 60 or 70 years ago. Imagine trying to draw a realistic looking taxi cab, phone booth, alley or newspaper stand with nothing to look at. One of the first things they taught me in art school as an illustration was the importance of building a photo library. I still have mine.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1779975088659689973

this pose...

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wolverine is a drama kid singing his heart out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I love when Wolverine does other stuff

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

He's the best there is...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

He might fight Omega red, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

Wolverine is a drama kid singing his heart out.

So let's recap: ugly, Nordic, bowels, d-e words. Now all you gotta do is hunch all up on yourself, pretend you're holding a mystical orb in each hand, and let the evil flow forth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V72NKRyX1NA