Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Does anyone else have trouble deep frying in a wok? Every time I try it, I:

- Undercook my chicken,
- Piss off the oil because something wasn’t bone dry or whatever,
- Clog the hell out of the oil with a bunch of sandy flour or cornstarch,
- End up with soggy overly-greasy chicken pieces,
- Splash hot oil on myself, and/or
- Cover my entire kitchen and everything in a 4 foot radius in a sheen of grease

and I can’t help but think I’m completely loving it up. I just want chicken wings :( How do I do this with a minimum of mess, toil, and waste?

Leaving stuff uncovered on a rack in the fridge can deal with a lot of the surprise splatter.

Unless you can do it outside the mess is gonna keep happening. Roasted chicken wings can get a pretty good texture, but frying is best done outside w a pot and a propane burner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

uninterrupted posted:

Unless you can do it outside the mess is gonna keep happening. Roasted chicken wings can get a pretty good texture, but frying is best done outside w a pot and a propane burner

I have good news friend! There are things called spatter or splatter guards that are fine wire mesh in a round frame with a handle. You put them over your frying pan. A quick search shows they're commonly available up to 15" diameter, and they're pretty cheap. Just wash them semi-regularly so they don't become a fire hazard.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I deep fry in a pot, I tried a wok a few times but with the angled sides I found I was using a lot more oil.

Splatter's going to happen, a splatter guard helps but you're still going to have to wipe up after.

Soggy sounds like the oil wasn't hot enough. Don't add too much at once, everything you put in will lower the oil temperature.

Burning yourself I can't help with, don't put your hands in the oil.

Undercooking, get a Thermapen.

And the oil being full of junk when you're done just depends on the breading. Things that are heavy on cornstarch or potato starch will leave a sludge behind. Not really anything you can do to prevent that.

You do not need to fry outside, though if you can then sure you don't have to wipe down the yard after.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
OIl temperature is pretty important. Too hot and you burn the outside leaving the inside undercooked. Too cold and you get soggy chicken.

It's also easier to fry things that are thinner or of more even thickness, at least.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

totalnewbie posted:

OIl temperature is pretty important. Too hot and you burn the outside leaving the inside undercooked. Too cold and you get soggy chicken.

This is also the idea behind double frying. Fry it to 90% cooked at a lower temperature, heat the oil up more, then toss it back in for a crisp and finish. While it's resting you'll also have residual moisture steam out into the crust and then the second fry gets rid of that.

If you're doing chicken thighs this is also a lot easier because you don't have to be as careful. It's hard to overcook a thigh so much it stops being good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There's also the "coat in stuff, drizzle with oil, and put it in the oven" technique for crispy wings. For some coatings, I'm not sure which, that'll be the best way. Go 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes and you're golden (brown).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Also, suffice it to say, do not fry frozen chicken.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you can’t tell me what to do

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

Does anyone else have trouble deep frying in a wok? Every time I try it, I:

- Undercook my chicken,
- Piss off the oil because something wasn’t bone dry or whatever,
- Clog the hell out of the oil with a bunch of sandy flour or cornstarch,
- End up with soggy overly-greasy chicken pieces,
- Splash hot oil on myself, and/or
- Cover my entire kitchen and everything in a 4 foot radius in a sheen of grease

and I can’t help but think I’m completely loving it up. I just want chicken wings :( How do I do this with a minimum of mess, toil, and waste?

I shallow fry in small batches and I think that works out pretty well.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Got a new wok and went to season it. I started it over medium heat and spread the oil around, then tried to spread oil around while turning it to expose the sides to the flame. I think I still may have done too much on its bottom as the bottom is seared dark and much darker than the rest of the pan and there's a noticable line between the more-seared areas and less-seared towards the top. Should I scouring sponge and start over?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
No. Just use the pan and it’ll blend just fine. It’ll turn darker the more you use it anyway.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Perfect, thanks! Excited to try some wok cooking. I love a good stir fry but I've basically been making steamed meat and veggies in my non-stick, relying on my mediocre sauce skills to get any flavor out of the dish. Hoping I can practice this a bit and get good at it!

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
sorry for the :actually: but you may want to consider going through the process of blueing the wok I.E. building up a layer of black oxide. the process is simple enough, just heating each section of a bare wok until it gradually turns a roughly dark aqua blue, THEN you would apply the oil for the traditional seasoning. this makes the wok more resistant to rust and allegedly gives it a superior non stick surface that's easier to season. it's standard procedure in any restaurant kitchen and kenji recommends it.
if you don't feel like going to the trouble the wok will do just fine without it I'm sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5whS60uScQ

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 14, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
I sometimes keep messing up seasoning my wok, next time I might just try the in the oven method again. It's hard to know if I'm going for too long or not long enough?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I sometimes keep messing up seasoning my wok, next time I might just try the in the oven method again. It's hard to know if I'm going for too long or not long enough?

Just listen to Uncle Wang and relax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blW96WhK9uo

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I accidentally bought a huge bottle of black soy sauce instead of dark soy sauce and I have no idea what to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to use it? I cook a fair bit of Chinese food, but I have never seen this ingredient in a recipe.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Google isn't helping me. What is black soy sauce if it's not dark soy sauce?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah a pic would help, I don't know what black soy sauce is.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Black vinegar?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Is it Thai black soy sauce?

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Human Tornada posted:

Is it Thai black soy sauce?

I believe so, it’s the “healthy boy” brand:

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Boy-Ounces-Product-Thailand/dp/B089RQQD2Z

Didn’t realize it was a different product until I opened it. It’s more like a salty caramel syrup than any soy sauce I’ve ever had. The first two ingredients are sugar, and it’s barely even a liquid.

I imagine you could use it in a braise or something in place of dark soy and sugar?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

It sounds a bit like Indonesian ketjap/kecap - maybe use it like that? (babi kecap always flashes me back to childhood 'chinese' takeout :allears:. This recipe seems okay)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeh google "kecap manis" for recipes that use sweetened soy sauce

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
When I'm grinding Sichuan peppercorns, they break down into extremely fine powder and then a bunch of yellow husks kinda shaped like half-moons. Should I be sifting these husks out? These aren't the black seeds, before anyone asks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The majority of the time Sichuan pepper is used whole, so I'd say there's no need to sift out and waste the larger pieces. Unless you're trying to make like a shaokao spice powder and they'd have trouble sticking, though if you're oiling the shaokao enough that shouldn't be a problem.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 18, 2024

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Kecap manis is similar to black soy sauce but is generally thicker and sweeter. I would look for some Thai marinades and stir fry sauces if I had a bottle of black soy sauce I wanted to use up.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

AnonSpore posted:

When I'm grinding Sichuan peppercorns, they break down into extremely fine powder and then a bunch of yellow husks kinda shaped like half-moons. Should I be sifting these husks out? These aren't the black seeds, before anyone asks.

I just did this to make some chili oil and I would absolutely sift them out if I were you. I will be doing that next time.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I toast, grind and sift since I saw those Chinese state banquet chefs do it. The mouth feel of the little bits if left in drive me crazy, same with the chili skin bits in pixian doubanjiang.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I guess the Sichuan place in the nearby suburb I almost never go to was sold, the chongqing chicken I ordered was gross battered chicken with a bunch of peppers dumped on top.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What is the most AUTHENTIC peanut butter sauce recipe out there? I've found that I like the stuff a lot and it basically goes with anything and everything.

So, at its simplest I can try to get lard (maybe from a butcher? I don't think I've seen it in most grocery stores in Canada) and cook it in that same way?

Bald Stalin posted:

I toast, grind and sift since I saw those Chinese state banquet chefs do it. The mouth feel of the little bits if left in drive me crazy, same with the chili skin bits in pixian doubanjiang.

Hrm, I think I might do this next time, I find that when I made mapo tofu that sometimes it felt "crunchy" when I bit down on the (grinded) peppercorns.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Raenir Salazar posted:

What is the most AUTHENTIC peanut butter sauce recipe out there? I've found that I like the stuff a lot and it basically goes with anything and everything.

So, at its simplest I can try to get lard (maybe from a butcher? I don't think I've seen it in most grocery stores in Canada) and cook it in that same way?

Hrm, I think I might do this next time, I find that when I made mapo tofu that sometimes it felt "crunchy" when I bit down on the (grinded) peppercorns.

For lard : Have you got any Polish supermarkets handy? I get lard from my local one - in Polish its called smalec. It comes in rendered in bricks like butter, or fancy tubs with crunchy bits - those latter types are meant to be used as a spread/dip, not for cooking.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Dunno if you have many in Canada, but a lot of Mexican grocery stores in the US sell fresh lard at the meat counter.

There's also shelf-stable stuff like Morrell that has preservatives and should be found around the vegetable oils and such if a grocery store carries it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Pookah posted:

For lard : Have you got any Polish supermarkets handy? I get lard from my local one - in Polish its called smalec. It comes in rendered in bricks like butter, or fancy tubs with crunchy bits - those latter types are meant to be used as a spread/dip, not for cooking.

Is Romania close enough? There's a Romanian place very close. I also do have Chinese grocery stores too, I just never thought to ask/look around.

I know of one Polish store, but its a hike, I'll google maps around to see if there's a close one.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Lard is generally in the bakery aisle in Canada in my experience. It comes in 1 lb/454g bricks. I haven't had difficulty finding it but I also don't buy it very often (a pound lasts a loooooong time for me).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My Chinese supermarket has tubs of lard they render themselves. And yeah if you have a Mexican grocery they will definitely have it.

If you can't find it anywhere it's not hard to do at home. Get pork fat from a butcher, chop it up, throw it in a pot with water, simmer on low heat until all the water's evaporated and you just have liquid fat and cracklings. Strain and voila.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Remulak posted:

I guess the Sichuan place in the nearby suburb I almost never go to was sold, the chongqing chicken I ordered was gross battered chicken with a bunch of peppers dumped on top.

The same thing happened to me - at the very least a new chef. The chongqing chicken went from crispy and flavorful to rubbery trying to hide behind way too much pepper (even for that dish)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The takeaway from Wang Gang is to chill out and just cook stuff. You'll be fine, lard or whatever.