Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

lelandjs posted:

Also, make sure you download Ext3nder and extend the Electra certificate for a year. The cert Cydia Impactor uses is only good for a week.

Does Ext3nder work with 2FA, or will I need to disable that and force a re-sign? Can I do this right away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
iPhone 8 using the multipath. Worked on the very first try. Didn’t turn anything off or call on the gods.
Seems to be very hit and miss in attempts but wanted to note too that it can just work.

Also which tweak is it to get X gestures?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

spongeworthy posted:

Does Ext3nder work with 2FA, or will I need to disable that and force a re-sign? Can I do this right away?

Does not work it’s 2FA. I would just setup a new Apple ID and use it to resign.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

iLikeMidgets posted:

iPhone 8 using the multipath. Worked on the very first try. Didn’t turn anything off or call on the gods.
Seems to be very hit and miss in attempts but wanted to note too that it can just work.

HomeGesture and HomeGesture Lite on the Packix repo are both great.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

drat y’all still jailbreaking

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

iLikeMidgets posted:

I use Little X but I’m a weirdo who wants the Homebar and the iPhone X-style status bar.

I may have even looked for a tweak that will fake a notch on my 8, don’t @ me

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Hey goons,

Hope you all can help me out. I bought an old iPad 2 for the sole purpose of listening to Spotify and reading Gmail at work. I now realize that both of these apps (and a plethora of others) aren't capable of being downloaded on the iOS this iPad has (9.3.5 - apparently I need 10+). On top of that, I can't seem to run spotify through Safari and can't download Google Chrome (again, needs iOS 10+).

Would it even be worth my time to look into jailbreaking and maybe being able to force installs of the older versions of the apps I want to use? Or should I just bite the bullet, pay for shipping/restocking and return the old AF iPad never to buy another Apple product again?

I mean, what's the point of making tech that lasts 7+ years but can't install several apps?

Thanks in advance?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Can’t hurt to try. To answer your question, the point is that people by and large upgrade their idevices enough that most people are running on the last OS or two, so there’s not much need to support devices stuck on iOS 9.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Evis posted:

Can’t hurt to try. To answer your question, the point is that people by and large upgrade their idevices enough that most people are running on the last OS or two, so there’s not much need to support devices stuck on iOS 9.

Well, it can hurt to try if jailbreaking it means I can't return it, which I'm pretty sure it does :) But if there's a chance that jailbreaking this device can get even one or two of the apps I kind of need for this to be useful in any way I'll probably take it. That's why I'm asking here before I devote any time to what could be a losing battle.

Also, they don't have to support old apps, they can just make them available... kinda like Android does. But that isn't really keeping in the spirit of "forcing people to keep upgrading".

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FuriousAngle posted:

Well, it can hurt to try if jailbreaking it means I can't return it, which I'm pretty sure it does :) But if there's a chance that jailbreaking this device can get even one or two of the apps I kind of need for this to be useful in any way I'll probably take it. That's why I'm asking here before I devote any time to what could be a losing battle.

Also, they don't have to support old apps, they can just make them available... kinda like Android does. But that isn't really keeping in the spirit of "forcing people to keep upgrading".

You can usually remove a jailbreak by doing a restore through iTunes (possibly with DFU mode), it's not permanent.

On the other hand, you're REALLY not going to get a great experience using an iPad 2, even if you get the old versions of apps on there. Pretty much everything is going to crawl at this point. In my repair shop, we're down to maybe one a month on those, everyone is just replacing them now since they're nearly unusable, even the old folks who only use email and the browser.

An iPad 4 or maybe a Mini 2/3 (don't spend extra for a Mini 3, it's identical to the 2 aside from having Touch ID) would probably be about the minimum to get halfway decent performance. Or hell, an iPhone 5S on Wifi if you don't need the bigger screen.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

You can usually remove a jailbreak by doing a restore through iTunes (possibly with DFU mode), it's not permanent.

On the other hand, you're REALLY not going to get a great experience using an iPad 2, even if you get the old versions of apps on there. Pretty much everything is going to crawl at this point. In my repair shop, we're down to maybe one a month on those, everyone is just replacing them now since they're nearly unusable, even the old folks who only use email and the browser.

An iPad 4 or maybe a Mini 2/3 (don't spend extra for a Mini 3, it's identical to the 2 aside from having Touch ID) would probably be about the minimum to get halfway decent performance. Or hell, an iPhone 5S on Wifi if you don't need the bigger screen.

Yeah, I think this is the answer I was looking for. Essentially "It's not worth it, go ahead and return it if possible." Thanks!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Jailbreak it, find a repository of old versions of software and install those and see if they still work. Some apps demand you update, some see what device you're on and allow the older version.

Between jailbreaking and testing old apps you're looking at 2 hours of work, max, to see if this will work for you.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I’ve wondered, if you restore an old iPad, will it let you download and restore the last compatible iOS? Like this stuff hasn’t been signed for years now.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Moose-Alini posted:

I’ve wondered, if you restore an old iPad, will it let you download and restore the last compatible iOS? Like this stuff hasn’t been signed for years now.

In some rare situations, yes. You can use https://ipsw.me/ to figure out whether older versions of iOS are still being signed for a given device.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Moose-Alini posted:

The last version of iOS the device supported will be signed for it until the end of Apple. (Or if you happen to get lucky maybe Apple will accidentally sign every version for every device again when nobody’s looking)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
What's the explanation for why apple signing can't be spoofed to allow universal firmware installations?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Because their private keys have never leaked. They likely never will. The best we’re likely to get is things like blob saving where you store a copy of the transaction between your phone and Apple, so that you can later reinstall the same OS version even if they’re not signing it. (Doesn’t necessarily work for newer iPhones) That’s pretty high level but is roughly correct.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

bobfather posted:

In some rare situations, yes. You can use https://ipsw.me/ to figure out whether older versions of iOS are still being signed for a given device.

iPad2 in particular gets IOS6 still signed for some reason.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
It feels so weird being back in this thread. Hello, nerds.

Is there any way to get the NGXPlay app onto my ios12 gm iPhone X? Are these ‘TweakMo’ type places scams/malware repositories?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Until someone publicly releases a new jailbreak it doesn’t seem likely.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
The latest firmware with a jailbreak currently is 11.3.1

One of the Jailbreak developers has found exploits in ios12 that could lead to a potential jailbreak, but it also could mean nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is 9.3.5 or 10.3.3 untethered, yet?

• Locked thread