Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Joburg posted:

This looks really great!

Depending on your grow zone you might be able to grow kale and collards over the summer. They will do better in a shady spot in the heat of summer than in direct sun. Sweet potatoes grow a ton of foliage and you can train it over the tunnel and sweet potatoes love intense sunshine. If you have room for fruit bushes or dwarf trees in the sunny part you can see what grows well in your area. I have a dwarf Mulberry, wild muscadine grapes, blackberries (very invasive) and blueberries and they love all of those. The Mulberry is everbearing and it’s already producing ripe berries this spring.

Thanks! I like the idea of something vining over the top. Appreciate the suggestions.

e: chicken for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

TheDK posted:

Awesome chicken tunnel raceway habitrail thing

This is one of the best things I've seen recently, thanks for posting it! :v:
And really cool to see chicks/quail hatching, it's immensely cheering.

And thanks everyone for your support & well wishes...but we hit a snag. On April 1st I came down with 12_String's nasty chest cold thing, it got so bad & hard to breathe that it nuked my surgery dates. :smith:
As of today its finally starting to clear, and my oral surgery and heart surgery are both rescheduled, so...
HEART SURGERY UPDATE!
And I hope to God it's the last one, who needs this constant stupid lousy drama.
My oral surgery will be done 4/22, the TAVR heart surgery on 4/29.
I'll take a bit over 2 weeks to heal, & plan on Chickam eggs going into the incubator 5/18, with a hatch date of 6/8!
I'll update as things progress.

Meanwhile the chickens are all properly twitterpated, with all of the roos doing their thang...we're looking forward to a great variety of fertilized eggs when we do eventually set them to hatch.
A couple we especially have hopes of getting chicks from this year:
Bonesaw looks a bit like a chicken made by committee, I've never seen a feather pattern/coloration like hers, she's stunning.

Luna the silver-gray bantam Cochin hen really IS the color of moonlight, and veeeery fluffy.

Gretchen (lower right) is a splash lavender Orpington we got as a pullet last August at a local chicken swap...she's grown considerably since then!

Here she is next to Bobbie (lower right) the buff Brahma roo & Mjolnir (upper left, only half in frame) the buff Orpington roo for scale.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 17, 2024

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Mjolnir is a handsome boy and clearly knows it too. :allears:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Ngl, I'm a little scared of Mjolnir.

Chick cam's back up after being turned off overnight for their first true night-time sleep (using an old webcam that doesn't have any sort of night vision, might look into a better camera for next time since it's also been annoyingly blurry).

I also published the recordings of the stream to my channel if anyone wants to go back and watch the hatch.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
3/5 have hatched and the other 2 have pipped :3:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
All 5 have hatched, one is fully feathered so it is probably from the White Rock rooster we had at the time these were laid. Two are still in the incubator drying off and three have graduated to the brooder.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Joburg posted:

All 5 have hatched, one is fully feathered so it is probably from the White Rock rooster we had at the time these were laid. Two are still in the incubator drying off and three have graduated to the brooder.

pouring one out for the two in the incubator

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar