Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Anyone else used Joy of Painting and not had the filter effects show up while trying to use it?

No, but if you're in the modding discord the author is very active

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Congratulations!

There’s something special and very mature in how Morrowind approached its hero. As Vivec and Dagoth Ur themselves ask, are you really Nerevar reborn? The game invites the player to answer for themselves without forcing a canonical answer.

And that answer changes over the course of play. At the beginning the answer might be “Who is Nerevar? It morphs later to “maybe” and later again to “well, these people say I am” or “who really can say?” But I think there’s a satisfaction in the ending. After destroying the Heart, defeating Dagoth Ur, and freeing a nation trapped in religious limbo for centuries, you meet Azura, a literal god who stops to thank you. And at the end of your journey, you can say “I am the Nerevarine, not because of prophecy, not because others say so, but because I saved Morrowind, and that’s enough.”

Morrowind turned the chosen one RPG trope on its head. It was so clever. It makes me immensely sad to see Bethesda fail to live up to that high in literally every subsequent game.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cantorsdust posted:

Congratulations!

There’s something special and very mature in how Morrowind approached its hero. As Vivec and Dagoth Ur themselves ask, are you really Nerevar reborn? The game invites the player to answer for themselves without forcing a canonical answer.

And that answer changes over the course of play. At the beginning the answer might be “Who is Nerevar? It morphs later to “maybe” and later again to “well, these people say I am” or “who really can say?” But I think there’s a satisfaction in the ending. After destroying the Heart, defeating Dagoth Ur, and freeing a nation trapped in religious limbo for centuries, you meet Azura, a literal god who stops to thank you. And at the end of your journey, you can say “I am the Nerevarine, not because of prophecy, not because others say so, but because I saved Morrowind, and that’s enough.”

Morrowind turned the chosen one RPG trope on its head. It was so clever. It makes me immensely sad to see Bethesda fail to live up to that high in literally every subsequent game.

Yeah the guy who did most of the quest writing apparently got run out of bethesda by Todd Howard over expansion writing direction. Which I think you can see in bloodmoon

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Enjoyed these posts. I'd say skip the DLC for now, and instead download Tamriel Rebuilt and get to the mainland.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The question of whether or not I'm Nerevar reborn is really fascinating to me. The prophecy is built on deeds and effort, except for one fine point: the Moon-and-Star. If the myth is accurate--which shown in the game myth is malleable, changing, and sometimes false -- then only Nerevar can wear it. To me that is incontrovertible proof. It's enough for the Urshilaku tribe, and enough for me. Of course that alone doesn't make a hero. I built that legend with my hands.

I think back to the conflicting accounts of the Red Mountain battle. Even Vivec, who himself was there, says it's up to me which story to believe if any, and it doesn't change what I need to do now. The whole game is a long lesson on what personal interpretations of history and legend does to culture.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I like that they wrote a game entirely about anthropological study of indigenous cultures being used to undermine and destroy an anti-colonial resistance movement.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
There has never been a game with the subtlety of Morrowind's writing since. I still think about how half this thread didn't realize skink-in-trees-shade is a vampire

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is he though?

He has an academic interest in them and like most of the Mages Guild he won't turn against you if you're a vampire but he lacks the pronounced canines and milky white eyes of all Morrowind vampires

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Okay, we've been through this.

1. He's not from Morrowind, he's from cyrodil, where vampires are under cover
2. His name implies he does not care for sunlight
3. Fully half his quests are about cures for vampirism
4. He has mysterious powerful contacts back in cyrodil, who can have the archmage fired
5. Rumors about him from sadrith mora citizens imply he's much older than he seems

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SettingSun posted:

The question of whether or not I'm Nerevar reborn is really fascinating to me. The prophecy is built on deeds and effort, except for one fine point: the Moon-and-Star. If the myth is accurate--which shown in the game myth is malleable, changing, and sometimes false -- then only Nerevar can wear it. To me that is incontrovertible proof. It's enough for the Urshilaku tribe, and enough for me. Of course that alone doesn't make a hero. I built that legend with my hands.

I think back to the conflicting accounts of the Red Mountain battle. Even Vivec, who himself was there, says it's up to me which story to believe if any, and it doesn't change what I need to do now. The whole game is a long lesson on what personal interpretations of history and legend does to culture.
Consider whether a ring enchanted by Azura can probably be modified by Azura as fits her purposes for getting revenge on three freaks who spited her.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You see, that speaks to the depth and quality of the story for that to be a legitimate argument to be made. Moon-and-Star *was* given that enchantment by Azura, huh...

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
That's one of the amazing things about Morrowind's story. You have so many differing accounts about what actually happened (some of which are actively disputed by characters) that you have room to come up with your own truth. It also leaves a lot of room to build your own backstory for your character even though the main plot of the game with all its lore is right there. There have certainly been games since with complicated characters and heroes, but none with just the right amount of ambiguity in the lore to pull something like that off. Certainly not either of the next 2 games in the anthology.

Anyway, while I'm here - here's a crosspost from the speedrunning thread. I'm gonna be speedrunning Morrowind All Main Quests at SGDQ 2024!

Musical_Daredevil posted:

After 4(?) years of submitting Morrowind All Main Quests and getting rejected, I'm finally in!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SettingSun posted:

You see, that speaks to the depth and quality of the story for that to be a legitimate argument to be made. Moon-and-Star *was* given that enchantment by Azura, huh...

I'm being glib but it took me years to realise the potential issue between "Azura has her favourite champion" and "this item will kill you if Azura doesn't like you".

I love the game's approach to prophecy generally. I think Caius says "you are not the Nerevarine, you are one who may become the Nerevarine". It's literally just a script and it's up to you whether it gets followed.

As the 36 Sermons would say, walk like them until they walk like you.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ikanreed posted:

Okay, we've been through this.

1. He's not from Morrowind, he's from cyrodil, where vampires are under cover
2. His name implies he does not care for sunlight
3. Fully half his quests are about cures for vampirism
4. He has mysterious powerful contacts back in cyrodil, who can have the archmage fired
5. Rumors about him from sadrith mora citizens imply he's much older than he seems

good enough for me, tie his tail-split rear end to
the pyre

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

That's one of the amazing things about Morrowind's story. You have so many differing accounts about what actually happened (some of which are actively disputed by characters) that you have room to come up with your own truth. It also leaves a lot of room to build your own backstory for your character even though the main plot of the game with all its lore is right there. There have certainly been games since with complicated characters and heroes, but none with just the right amount of ambiguity in the lore to pull something like that off. Certainly not either of the next 2 games in the anthology.

Anyway, while I'm here - here's a crosspost from the speedrunning thread. I'm gonna be speedrunning Morrowind All Main Quests at SGDQ 2024!

Does your quote mean you can mainline the main quest in 26 minutes? That's pretty wild.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

hannibal posted:

Does your quote mean you can mainline the main quest in 26 minutes? That's pretty wild.

I think the the record is something like 22 min. It involved alchemy abuse and tanking the keening and sunder damage.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if skink is a vampire then why doesn't he know any absorb health spells despite being a master of mysticism

people say he's more knowledgeable than telvanni five times his age, not that he's old.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

And don't forget, all the poo poo with Nerevar and the Tribunal and Dagoth happened in close proximity to the first activation of Numidium, so all the contradictory stories about the aftermath of the Battle of Red Mountain could all be true at once.

Whoever wrote that explanation for Daggerfall's multiple endings all being canon must be patting himself on the back for coming up with that one

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Asterite34 posted:

And don't forget, all the poo poo with Nerevar and the Tribunal and Dagoth happened in close proximity to the first activation of Numidium, so all the contradictory stories about the aftermath of the Battle of Red Mountain could all be true at once.

Whoever wrote that explanation for Daggerfall's multiple endings all being canon must be patting himself on the back for coming up with that one

It's all the same source of power in the end, isn't it. Lorkhan's Heart is the source of power for the Tribunal, and the Mantella was the source of power for Numidium. And what was the Mantella powered by? The soul of Zurin Arctus King Wulfharth a Shezzarine. It's Lorkhans all the way down.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Some Tamriel Rebuilt news!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
that article just keeps going on forever and I'm excited for all of it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Insanely hyped for narsis and everything else is just frosting on the cake.

to put things in perspective this is balmora overlaid on top of the narsis sewers map

I was putting it off but I might have to beat the game again to have a save ready if the main quest epilogue is in grasping fortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

SettingSun posted:

It was crafted by the Dwemer, in fact, to help Nerevar be more persuasive. A symbol of his office as Hortator, basically, and supposedly enchanted to prevent anyone who wasn't him from wearing it. This was back when the Dwemer and Chimer were buddies, of course.

Whether Moon-and-Star was, in fact, enchanted to kill anyone who wasn't him is a matter of legend. Like everything else surrounding the prophecies, it's ambiguous.

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 29, 2024