Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Poe's Law, man. I'm now getting Poe's Law indecision but applied to whether someone built something painstakingly, meticulously wrong for clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I guess the horizontals are set into the walls and the verticals were put in with the L brackets later by someone who didn't like looking through the gaps.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

noooooooooooooooooooooo

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Oddly, the thing I hate the most about that photo is the spindles.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wheatpuppy posted:

Oddly, the thing I hate the most about that photo is the spindles.

Way to doxx yourself, Devil Troll

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

All the big brain science books (completely pristine) for their cool shelf to show how sciencey and cool they are. But oh no, how come this design isn't working? :iiam:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
'Big brain' is a funny way of saying college textbooks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Totally unused and decorative College textbooks.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Nah it's good, those brackets are rated for like 300 pounds!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Zesty posted:

All the big brain science books (completely pristine) for their cool shelf to show how sciencey and cool they are. But oh no, how come this design isn't working? :iiam:

Some kind of backing would help but it also needs a brace under the right side.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Zesty posted:

Totally unused and decorative College textbooks.

Is this a thing? Who pretends to be a physics major? Why not pretend to be something useful?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The best is that they clearly have at least three sets of those honeycombs. Look ot the left, there's one that's off to the side.

They need to put them so that the bottom is on the left and right and supports the middle

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i'd stuff some rags in the right corner to wedge it up

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

simply fill the gap with unopened funkopops

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Is this a thing? Who pretends to be a physics major? Why not pretend to be something useful?

I've got a similar stack of engineering textbooks that are worth roughly zero dollars to anyone else. I'm still glad I kept them once every year or two when I can pull out an old formula. I'd imagine physics textbooks are even less referenceable.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's like shelving, but with a whole lot of less usable space

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Leviathan Song posted:

I've got a similar stack of engineering textbooks that are worth roughly zero dollars to anyone else. I'm still glad I kept them once every year or two when I can pull out an old formula. I'd imagine physics textbooks are even less referenceable.

I have a similar stack of political theory books that are even more useless but with the added benefit that they started that way, too. They're currently an impromptu podium to stack some stuff on.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

CarForumPoster posted:

You buy the textbooks your first semester only to find out that your professor refuses to teach anything from it. Semester ends and oops McGraw-Hill released a new edition (moved some chapters around) so there is no value in your book anymore so now you spent $175 for a paperweight.

Second semester you don’t buy poo poo unless you absolutely have to.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I have you all beat. I got my BA in religion

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Freaquency posted:

You buy the textbooks your first semester only to find out that your professor refuses to teach anything from it. Semester ends and oops McGraw-Hill released a new edition (moved some chapters around) so there is no value in your book anymore so now you spent $175 for a paperweight.

Second semester you don’t buy poo poo unless you absolutely have to.

Had to buy a book with a one time use code to get a log in for the online quizzes that we had to take. Couldn't resell it because the code wouldn't work for another student.

The author of the book? The professor of the class!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
One of my professors wrote his own textbooks, but instead of publishing them he just printed them out for us. We only had to pay $20 for the cost of paper and ink. Best professor ever.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Uthor posted:

Had to buy a book with a one time use code to get a log in for the online quizzes that we had to take. Couldn't resell it because the code wouldn't work for another student.

The author of the book? The professor of the class!

This always seems sketchy, but the professor earns piss all on one class's worth of textbooks. We're talking on the order of a buck a book, if that. Chances are they were assigning it because it was, unsurprisingly, the text they're most familiar with and that meshes best with their course structure.

Now, insisting on using those online quizes with the bullshit log in code? That's laziness. When I was teaching I would go out of my way to avoid any and all online quizzes and told the students this very emphatically on day one so that they could go hit ebay or amazon and buy old copies of the textbook. After a few years I had a fairly good list of the different publication years and what was different between them so I could steer them away from any that would be problematic. For that course (a basic World History since WW2 one) you had to go back like a decade before you saw a revision serious enough that it caused problems.

This, however, is the pro move:

Buttchocks posted:

One of my professors wrote his own textbooks, but instead of publishing them he just printed them out for us. We only had to pay $20 for the cost of paper and ink. Best professor ever.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cyrano4747 posted:

... WW2 one...

Phrases you don't want to hear from time travelers

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This always seems sketchy, but the professor earns piss all on one class's worth of textbooks. We're talking on the order of a buck a book, if that. Chances are they were assigning it because it was, unsurprisingly, the text they're most familiar with and that meshes best with their course structure.

They did say they were donating whatever they made from those books (I vaguely remember it being in the memory of their kid, but it was so, so long ago), but I was still struck with them forcing us to buy it.

I did have one professor tell us what books we could check out from the library, and, btw, here's a xerox copy of the important pages they are going to reference.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Leviathan Song posted:

I also have this (MechE)

That said, the poster was claiming that they were essentially pretending to be a physics major. Like they had physics textbooks but hadn't taken physics courses. If youre gonna pretend to be something pretend to be a doctor or a fish or something.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I majored and doctorated in history. What are these "textbooks" of which you speak? I haven't seen one since high school.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I majored and doctorated in history. What are these "textbooks" of which you speak? I haven't seen one since high school.

Theyre things you use on the road to getting paid for the field you studied. (Except Physics)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Benagain posted:

Nah it's good, those brackets are rated for like 300 pounds!

Where's the insulation?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jesusfuckingchristgetthatawayfromme!

Buttchocks posted:

Same. Well, actually, we paid the campus print center, but same thing. I really liked that guy. Coincidentally a physics professor. I still have those, because hey, physics! Also some math (calculus, diff eq.) and engineering (statics and dynamics, as I recall) textbooks, because of course they changed editions and were worthless to sell back, so why not keep them?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well, back in my day, they had physical books in college, instead of the digital copies that cost the same, but are even impossible to sell back.
:corsair:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
They could have added a couple of supports but meh sounds like work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
A triangle is the strongest construct, that one is going to be as durable as the Eiffel tower