Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The coffee machines. The discussion part is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If they have cracked the code on good automated filter coffee then I could see that thing being an attractive prospect. I'd never buy a gen one product from Fellow though, especially not one that complicated. Gen 2 will probably be the one to get.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Need a quick reality check.

I have a ROK coffee grinder. It's fast, I think the grind quality is fine. It's about 4 years old.

I shouldn't even consider buying another manual grinder right? Grinders don't really age, right? Buying a Kind M47 or similar high end manual will achieve nothing except letting me grind while watching TV, right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Think about how cool it would be to bring your hand grinder to work

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

You could always have a backup grinder. What if two people want to grind coffee at once

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Corb3t posted:

Fellow just announced their Aiden smart connected pourover machine for $365. It looks pretty cool if pourover is your jam:

https://fellowproducts.com/products/aiden-precision-coffee-maker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ydY4B6T1Y

Played around with one a little at the London coffee festival yesterday. Looked good from a far but was pretty plasticky when I got to touch it. Removable water tank was nice but the head didn't look very different to a cheap drip machine. That said I didn't get a chance to try and coffee from it and they might have done enough neat software stuff to make things better.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I impulse purchased some green coffee beans from an Ethiopian grocery a couple days ago.

I ran out of coffee today so I just toss-roasted some of the green beans over the stove and did a horrible job of it (I've since looked up some tips and I'll try again with better technique).

I brewed them up and it was drinkable but whatever. And then the last few sips in the cup had the most remarkable toffee flavour I've ever had from a cup of coffee.

Is this how addictions start?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

CommonShore posted:

I impulse purchased some green coffee beans from an Ethiopian grocery a couple days ago.

I ran out of coffee today so I just toss-roasted some of the green beans over the stove and did a horrible job of it (I've since looked up some tips and I'll try again with better technique).

I brewed them up and it was drinkable but whatever. And then the last few sips in the cup had the most remarkable toffee flavour I've ever had from a cup of coffee.

Try it again, see if you like it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Recommend me some roasting machines. A friend is interested in batch roasting.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I did this for years with my cheap lil Hario. Was good

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

My guess is you just didn’t let it cool enough to get those flavors.

I’ve found that especially with Ethiopian origin beans you don’t get much of the really nice, subtle stuff until you near around 100-115F

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I ordered a refurbished Barista Touch last week and it has yet to ship. I’m worried they’re gonna send me an email saying it’s out of stock, since I see it’s now out of stock on the site. Lol. Lmao.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I already have a little widdle Porlex Mini that I'm just too shy to bring to work :v:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Steve Yun posted:

Recommend me some roasting machines. A friend is interested in batch roasting.

Gene Cafe

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mu Zeta posted:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

You could always have a backup grinder. What if two people want to grind coffee at once

Me and a coworker both have our own hand grinders, beans, and Aeropresses at work. The only thing we have to share if we want coffee at the same time is the kettle. And the pourover if we want that.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

I already have a little widdle Porlex Mini that I'm just too shy to bring to work :v:

Don’t do it. Watching someone crank their Porlex Mini in the office was how I got started and 4 years later here I am with a Decent and a Lagom P64. It’s dangerous.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Itt we're all just cranks

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gunder posted:

Watching someone crank their Porlex Mini in the office

Did they get fired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Gunder posted:

Don’t do it. Watching someone crank their Porlex Mini in the office was how I got started.

There is no other way