Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Slimy Hog posted:

I'm looking for a book on Charcuterie that is more about the theory behind the curing/drying/etc process and not just a list of recipes. After a little bit of research, I've determined that I should either buy Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by the Marianskis or spend a bunch of money on Books from The Professional Charcuterie Series.

What books do you all like for this kind of information?

The Marianskis' book is dense, and not always formatted or written as clearly as it might be. But it is filled with useful information, and when I need solid information about, e.g., the details of fermenting sausage, it's what I turn to. It's the book I usually see serious, non-professional charcuterie people recommend. And it's not expensive. I'd say get it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I've got a bunch of bacon that is supposed to finish curing and go into the smoker today, but life got in the way and I won't be able to smoke it til tomorrow or Wednesday. I assume there's no harm leaving it vacuum sealed in the cure for a few more days, right? It's a basic 2%/2%/.25% salt/sugar/#1 cure if it matters at all.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That sounds like an eq cure so yeah no worries about delaying it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
thoughts on the best way to get some heat into beef jerky short of just sprinkling pepper flakes on it prior to drying it? I thought about adding some rum to the marinade but forgot and half a bottle of habanero tabasco isn't noticeable in the final product.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

thoughts on the best way to get some heat into beef jerky short of just sprinkling pepper flakes on it prior to drying it? I thought about adding some rum to the marinade but forgot and half a bottle of habanero tabasco isn't noticeable in the final product.

I use hot paprika and red pepper flake in my normal recipe and it’s plenty spicy. Cayenne if you really want a kick. I also like to switch it up with a couple tablespoons of angry lady and that works really well too.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've been wanting to try my hand at capicola for a while now, but I can't seem to find beef bung caps here in Japan. Do any of you know any online shops that ship internationally?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Me and a mate have been experimenting with sausages and stuff and have decided to fully commit to charcuterie.

We have a reliable source of good quality pork (if it was beef, it'd be wagyu/MSA graded), and are trying to figure out what size sausage stuffer and mincer to look at.

Also looking for cultures etc. to do pancetta, bresaola etc and are looking at picking up a cheap fridge on Gumtree for use as a curing chamber.

We have done ham, bacon and such but looking toward more complex stuff.

Just postin

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have the grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid and asked for the Ruhlman book for Christmas. So far I've only done burgers and breakfast sausage in very small batches, but I want to try making my own andouille and other smoked sausages. Is the KA attachment and sausage stuffer tube good enough to start with (say for 5lb batches), or should I get one of the metal attachments like Chef's Choice or the Smokehouse Chef for additional tray capacity and freezer pre-cooling?

(I know dedicated stuffers are better but given space constraints I want to be sure I'm going to do this enough to justify it.)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Discussion Quorum posted:

I have the grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid and asked for the Ruhlman book for Christmas. So far I've only done burgers and breakfast sausage in very small batches, but I want to try making my own andouille and other smoked sausages. Is the KA attachment and sausage stuffer tube good enough to start with (say for 5lb batches), or should I get one of the metal attachments like Chef's Choice or the Smokehouse Chef for additional tray capacity and freezer pre-cooling?

(I know dedicated stuffers are better but given space constraints I want to be sure I'm going to do this enough to justify it.)

It's not the best but it works fine. The "blade" is kind of a joke but just keep it ultra cold and it will work fine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A friend and I just ordered a pork package which includes two hip roasts. We're discussing dry curing them into Italian-style ham (salt; press; hang). Neither of us have done this kind of thing before. She has a very cool very dry basement where the meat can sit undisturbed. We're both experienced food people (she's a canning wizard), but everything we know about doing this kind of thing comes from the Internet. We're willing to risk our money to give this a shot.

1) Is this more difficult than it seems? It doesn't seem difficult - it seems as if it just requires patience.

2) Is there anything we should know before diving into this hamfirst?

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
Climate control is always the biggest issue, in my experience. Too dry, the outside becomes impermeable before the inside can cure. Too moist, and bacteria develops. Too cold or too hot, the right bacteria won't develop.

Figure out what the environment needs to be and whether or not you can achieve it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

:stonk::stonk::stonk:

Supposed to be an Iberico

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is that a human butt cheek?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Great, another cannibal

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
are those worms

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I can smell it through my phone

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
What the gently caress happened? Walk us through this step by step.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
It's from Reddit. Basically he got conned into buying rotten product.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Mikey Purp posted:

It's from Reddit. Basically he got conned into buying rotten product.

And he tasted it...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

goodness posted:

And he tasted it...

and didn't even know if he disliked it...

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
It looks encapsulated in fat... I wonder how it tasted.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

It came from reddit...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

goodness posted:

It came from reddit...

How did they get a pancetta that dry?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

How did they get a pancetta that dry?

Bracing desert air. If it cures TB, it'll cure meat.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

If they hadn't shown the inside I'd have no idea what it was

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was thinking "breaded or cornmeal-coated pork loin" at first.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I like to buy Prosciutto di Parma and San Daniele when it's on sale. Most recently Prosciutto Toscano was on sale at my local grocery and I decided to try some. There's some weird cruncy crystallization thing going on that's weirding me out and nothing I've experienced with any other prosciutto I've had. Is this normal? Is it the curing salt or something? The butcher mentioned he cut into the rind a bit and gave me extra slices, did that gently caress up ruin the majority of my meat?

The pieces that aren't crunchy are delicious :smith:. Way saltier than the other's I've tried, but still amazing.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

goodness posted:

And he tasted it...

I took the bullet and clicked reddit, the guy never posted again so it is safe to assume he ate more and died.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Elephanthead posted:

I took the bullet and clicked reddit, the guy never posted again so it is safe to assume he ate more and died.

Oh he is definitely dead.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

katkillad2 posted:

I like to buy Prosciutto di Parma and San Daniele when it's on sale. Most recently Prosciutto Toscano was on sale at my local grocery and I decided to try some. There's some weird cruncy crystallization thing going on that's weirding me out and nothing I've experienced with any other prosciutto I've had. Is this normal? Is it the curing salt or something? The butcher mentioned he cut into the rind a bit and gave me extra slices, did that gently caress up ruin the majority of my meat?

The pieces that aren't crunchy are delicious :smith:. Way saltier than the other's I've tried, but still amazing.

Those are tyrosine crystals. They're totally fine, and your butcher didn't do anything wrong.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Those are tyrosine crystals. They're totally fine, and your butcher didn't do anything wrong.

That's good to know. I've had those as well, and had assumed they were salt.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

That's good to know. I've had those as well, and had assumed they were salt.

They do look like salt crystals. I've had crystals form on the outside of drying charcuterie (coppa, bresaola, etc.) that I'm pretty sure were actually salt. Anyway, you'll also see tyrosine crystals in aged cheeses like parmesan. ("Tyrosine" is from "tyros", the Greek word for "cheese". :eng101:)

• Locked thread