Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

A Crit-heavy Unarmed build would be fun. High Agility and Luck to keep you moving and getting Crits (plus Endurance of course). Maybe also Low Int for the true punchdrunk boxer experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
The courier is a tribal in my mind,surviving off the land on long treks,knowledge of poison,good with all kinds of weapons.

Reborn when he/she’s pulled out of the earth,goes on to be either a warlord or mythical saint.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

DaysBefore posted:

A Crit-heavy Unarmed build would be fun. High Agility and Luck to keep you moving and getting Crits (plus Endurance of course). Maybe also Low Int for the true punchdrunk boxer experience

I'm into this. Viable through the whole game, I wonder? Even against robots, and so on?

I feel like not having high INT would make skill points an issue, but I honestly don't know just how much VNV increases overall difficulty.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Piercing Strike gets through 15 DT and is available at Level 10 iirc. Spiked Knuckles I think also do exgra DT pierce damage. It'd overall be a very tough one at end game though especially once you get to Legion hit squads, high-level Roboscorpions etc. And good luck with Deathclaws and Cazadores lol. More of a challenge than a simple gimmick I guess? But there's always companions to fill the gaps

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't remember where do you find the legendary spiked knuckles in the game?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

Bonnie Springs near Red Rock. Also I forgot power/displacer/ballistic fists count as Unarmed. Never mind you won't have any trouble once you get like Two-Step Goodbye

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Two-Step Goodbye is also just comically likely to kill you in a high-crit build so be prepared to reload somewhat regularly.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

DaysBefore posted:

Bonnie Springs near Red Rock. Also I forgot power/displacer/ballistic fists count as Unarmed. Never mind you won't have any trouble once you get like Two-Step Goodbye

yeah you can see it from the goodsprings cemetery if you look north. you can sneak past the cazadores with a stealth boy to get there right off the bat, but the viper gang is actually pretty tough at level 1-2. one of them carries a plasma grenade, I rely on blowing that up in his hand

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Malpais Legate posted:

Two-Step Goodbye is also just comically likely to kill you in a high-crit build so be prepared to reload somewhat regularly.

True lol maybe Pushy is better. Or I think there's a perk that drasticqlly reduces explosion damage

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

max out luck, high strength, take the canibal perk and have everyone you bump into for dinner

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Explosives are a pretty fun focus, especially if paired with unarmed/melee. Soften guys up with a few grenades, kite them back to your lovingly planted minefield, punch to death whatever is left over.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Running an Abilene Kid LE BB Gun crit build was fun, because as long as you can get a crit you're unstoppable, but get spotted or blunder out into the open and your power drops enormously.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chinook posted:

Maybe not in the sense of, like, killing everyone haphazardly, but siding with the Legion, and that sort of thing. Does it work out? Or do I end up missing large series of quests because I can't even walk into certain areas without every neutral person running from me or taking shots at me?

I did my last playthrough wearing Legion armour the whole time, and I was surprised how many places were still available. I could go on the Strip and the off-duty drunk NCR troopers didn't bother me, only the MPs near the embassy.

Melee or unarmed feels right with a Legion playthrough. Melee deals more damage overall, but unarmed has some interesting techniques. If you want to do melee, Camp Searchlight has an amazing unique axe. A melee build will put points into Unarmed anyway, for the Piercing Strike and Slayer perks. If you want to do unarmed, before you make an enemy of the NCR, be sure to talk to Ranger Andy in Novac and learn his Ranger Takedown.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also make sure you learn the Pocket Sand technique from the Khans.

Pretty sure onw of the final bonuses you can get from Veronica's quest makes your unarmed attacks even more powerful. "Causeless Rebel" I think? It's the one where you convince her to abandon the Brotherhood's ideals.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Electric Phantasm posted:

*hits level 2* I'm gay

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

KoRMaK posted:

max out luck, high strength, take the canibal perk and have everyone you bump into for dinner

Stuff like this always makes me realise my brain might be too rotten to ever truly appreciate New Vegas (as much as I do like it).

I always end up playing as some basic bitch vagabond meandering the wasteland with a silver tongue and proficient with his trusty rifle and cowboy hat. There's people out here playing as hideous undead menaces and I want in.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Arc Hammer posted:

Pretty sure onw of the final bonuses you can get from Veronica's quest makes your unarmed attacks even more powerful. "Causeless Rebel" I think? It's the one where you convince her to abandon the Brotherhood's ideals.

Causeless Rebel only affects Veronica. There's a perk you can get in Dead Money by getting the holotape of Elijah, telling Veronica about it, and refusing to hand it over. That gives you a 50% bonus to melee critical damage, but not unarmed. A max-DPS melee build can get a 237% damage bonus to melee criticals, and a critical hit rate of around 40%.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chamale posted:

Causeless Rebel only affects Veronica. There's a perk you can get in Dead Money by getting the holotape of Elijah, telling Veronica about it, and refusing to hand it over. That gives you a 50% bonus to melee critical damage, but not unarmed. A max-DPS melee build can get a 237% damage bonus to melee criticals, and a critical hit rate of around 40%.

That's the one, you're right. Elijah's Ramblings. I knew it was connected to Veronica somehow.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Been playing a lot of Fallout 4 lately and the quest structure has put things into perspective for me. There are quite a few good quests in Fallout 4 but the "busywork" quests really highlight an irritating trend. A settlement/brotherhood/Railroad gives you a target area to give and clear out, and often it's half a map and two dozen points-of-interest away from you. So you end up blasting through three times as many locations on your way to a target where you blast away even more enemies.

It makes me appreciate the quests where the problem is more local, like the Greygarden robots asking you to to fix the water pump station down the road since it's flooded and filled with Mutants and Mirelurks. And that makes me appreciate the way that most of New Vegas's quests are pretty localized. On one hand it disincentivizes you from returning once you've finished a location's quests, but on the other hand that can also lead to a sense of progression in a "paint the map" kind of way. And there still are quests that send you hoofing it across the breadth of the Wasteland, but they're the exception rather than the norm.

The Commonwealth is a map that you are encouraged to get lost in and explore at your own pace. The Mojave is more about methodically clearing sections and then moving onto the next. Different strokes with their pros and cons.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 30, 2024

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah a lot of FO4 quests are just Skyrim 'radiant' quests and it kinda sucks! Its been a while but even FO3 I think didn't have many "Hey go allll the way over here for this poo poo (non-story)"

I gotta say I still really lovely the wasteland survival guide quests from FO3. WAs a good way to fill outa couple locations, send you in a direction that wasn't TOO insanely dangerous.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
FO4 quest givers always send you to the most annoying dungeon in their random location list, and it's always the Corvega factory

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Bumhead posted:

Stuff like this always makes me realise my brain might be too rotten to ever truly appreciate New Vegas (as much as I do like it).

I always end up playing as some basic bitch vagabond meandering the wasteland with a silver tongue and proficient with his trusty rifle and cowboy hat. There's people out here playing as hideous undead menaces and I want in.

This time, This time I tell myself, I will finally do a explosives/melee/heavy weapons/evil karma/other faction/LCK/CHR build, as I immediately make my twelfth good karma AGL/PER/INT gun/stealth/repair/speech character. 3 or New Vegas, doesn’t matter.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
My second playthrough was going to be an evil explosives/melee woman to reverse the good guy guns build in my first run, but I gave up super early because using explosives was so annoying. Turns out it's way easier with VATS but I almost never used it in my first playthrough so I didn't realize that.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

If you were given the reins to make a Fallout game what would you do for the main story/player character? You can do something brand new and original,no need for a vault opening or my son!/father!

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 30, 2024

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why, a brotherhood of steel recruit, of course!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

If you were given the reins to make a Fallout game what would you do for the main story/player character? You can do something brand new and original,no need for a vault opening or my son!/father!

You know how MMOs have different intro areas depending on certain character choices, sometimes ones that you simply won't return to or will be returned to as instances later? I'd like to offer players enough freedom to pick an origin where their introductory experience is heavily informed by that. If we say it's the Commonwealth (simply because I recall more locations for that one), you could have origins of Diamond City Local, Quincy Refugee, or even a transplant from Far Harbor, The Capital Wasteland, The Pitt. This isn't meant to be a 'best-of greatest-hits' of references, and could easily include completely new locations like The Loathsome Rhode or Vermon.

The one tiny downside I don't like about New Vegas, still remaining with the refreshed appreciation that it's gained over the years is: "You are a courier." Obviously, the story completely requires that and the story is stronger for it, but if I want to play a wasteland doctor or smuggler or raider, that slightly inhibits that freedom.

Honestly, it could even inform a traveling 'road trip' game where the player starts in one of those places, in the interim has wandered, and then ends up going through these some of these locations over the course of the game. It'd be less sandboxy that way, of course.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why, a brotherhood of steel recruit, of course!

:hmmyes:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I always liked how the main characters go:

Vault dweller/???/warrior/wanderer/courier/sole survivor/

But then i guess the second game is the chosen one which throws the whole thing off,poo poo.Guess he/she could be the driver or granddaughter/rejuvenator.

Vault dweller

Driver/granddaughter/seeker

Warrior

Wanderer/purifier/poisoner

Courier/deliverer

Sole survivor

Doctor/uniter/leader/exterminator/preacher/

Sorry i’m having a super autistic day today.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I always liked how the main characters go:

Vault dweller/???/warrior/wanderer/courier/sole survivor/

But then i guess the second game is the chosen one which throws the whole thing off,poo poo.Guess he/she could be the driver or granddaughter/rejuvenator.

Vault dweller

Driver/granddaughter/seeker

Warrior

Wanderer/purifier/poisoner

Courier/deliverer

Sole survivor

Doctor/uniter/leader/exterminator/preacher/

Sorry i’m having a super autistic day today.

fallout 2 is chosen one.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Game opens with an old-timey Vault-tec video with dignified looking psychiatrist asking you multiple choice morally gray questions. Do you help others at cost to yourself, etc. Camera framing makes it look like you're a vault dweller applying to something by talking into a monitor or watching something on one. When you finish the game tallies points as the camera pans out and breaks the illusion, revealing it's a conversation with the captured psych out in the wastelands.

Your choices put you in one of six(three if we're being realistic about content creation time) major groups in the region, from harsh but fair to pure chaotic evil to ultimate pragmatists(room for inbetween if we do the full six.) Depending on your starting cultural basis the psych is released, enslaved/imprisoned or headshot on the spot. Game starts with you in one of these home base spots for the group, the ones you're not in are part of the enemy pool and quest hubs.

For main conflict I'd like to see two antagonist factions clashing and pressuring every third party in the region to be with us or against us. Your task is to rally them and make a third regional power with some soft options to ally with one... or not. It'd be nice to get a new faction in this setting so maybe a Red Army of survivors of the other side of the war, diluted by generations of survival and mingling with the locals but still forming a solid moral core thats different from traditional NCR style values. It's hard not to cast the Brotherhood because Bethesda seems intent on all roads leading to them being a nationwide presence but we can stretch. Remnants of Canadian military could work. Maybe cast the game in Washington State, something adjacent to familiar groups and conflicts(cameos and small influence are fine) and with access to the Pacific. I don't have a big wholly original idea for their society and values but just get us away from Brotherhood vs Muties or dumbass factions like the Institute. Groups of people with agency who come into conflict with one another over land, resources, pride, survival, etc.

First half of the game conflicts are against other raider/tribal group leaders, local dangers, non-trinal power blocs(i.e. organizes groups like the arms dealers in NV, local city-states) and after a bit the two big groups start trying to influence and usurp your group. Spy craft, sabotage, etc. a reason to fight their guys with some plausible deniability if you want to ally with them as partners later(but not join and become the inexplicable leader/shot caller of.)

Anyway once you've got your heroes journey sorted and your standing in the power conflict of the region everything goes to hell as an outside invader flips the table. Think Elijah and the death fog or somebody lifting tech from Big MT and shedding the wackiness factor. Extra hostile evil tech zones in limited doses to add spice to exploration in the last act of the game, Dead Money style design could be less oppressive without that expacs setup(i.e. reset your power level, keeping you in it and nothing but it for hours straight.) Thinking about it Fallout seems to reserve mad science exclusively for punchline villains instead of dire existential threats like The Master. It's been awhile, you know? Ok, Elijah was serious but he only threatens the entire Mojave on a hell of an easter egg.

There's similarities to New Vegas since it wrote the book in the series on interesting dynamic conflict but I've tried to avoid the Bethesda writing "you're the most important person in the world and can nearly join every faction" that homogenized everyone in FO4, or how the Institute is actually not all that different from any other group of armed threats(you're never tracked by a Corsair or have an ambush teleported in... other than being visibly robots with lovely energy weapons, what separates them from a themed raider gang?) Having some raider/tribal facing would be novel and might make the Fallout moral choice axis more realistic as you embrace survival at all moral costs or sow the seeds of your group becoming a more stable civilization via the acts of diplomacy and agency you pursue.

Suppose the emphasis should be on standing up for yourself against the sneers of other factions, expanding the raider mythos a bit without being a joke like Nuka-World or FO3 tier "nuke Megaron for the lols" decisions and being a powerful figure in the wastelands but not the messiah. Raiders are an interesting viewpoint in the setting when they get more writing focus than "and here's where we put all the evil people you can kill at low levels."

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Someone trying to get by after the collapse of the legion.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The scavenger - as the head (or citizen) of a settlement you get tasked with going out into the wastes,stripping Vaults of their tech and using your skills to bring those pieces back to the settlement before you all perish/get overrun/kill each other

this puts you at odds with the rest of the map who want that stuff as well.

The gun runner - everybody wants what you're selling,the people you trade with are going to arm themselves and pick their sides regardless,better make it your side.

The exterminator - as part of a new (semi enclave) group it's up to you to bring order to the wastes either with a gun or a handshake (yes i do want a judge dredd game why do you ask?)

This would all be in a new location that's only recently settled so it would be fresh to plunder.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the Nerevarine

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm surprised Bethesda never implemented different starting points in their games. I always figured the Alternate Start mods were pretty popular.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm surprised Bethesda never implemented different starting points in their games. I always figured the Alternate Start mods were pretty popular.

Bethesda….doing work?…..no i’m sorry i don’t get it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
You arrive in a small sort of successful town in mountainous place, but when you arrive the main way out get's snowed in. There's a few factions in and out of the town that are vying for power in the region, and just because of where the towns located, and because even though it's pretty small -200 pop'ish- it's still the largest in the area, controlling the town is pretty key to controlling the region.

Because it's up in the mountains and quite small it wasn't nuked, but also as obviously it hasn't had access to modern production infrastructure in like 200 years, you can see a difference between pre-war buildings being maintained with post war materials, and new buildings built out of local materials, so log cabins and the such. Also there was a larger town at the other side of the map that was nuked and around that area you get the more typical post apocalyptic setting and the factions that are pretty jealous of the people in the main town living in relative luxury. This is where most of the ghouls, super mutants and other people the main town considers "undesirable" live.

The yes man "oh I hosed up all the other options"- option, is just finding a guide and enough money to pay them, some hiking gear/food, getting to a remote route, and basically saying gently caress that town and hiking out of the area.

Also mutant mountain goats.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Wake up, Mr. Yes Man. Wake up and smell...the ashes

Player looks down to reveal they are controlling Securitron clamp hands, then looks up to a burning New Vegas hellscape

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Leaving aside story concerns: The ability to say "I know what I'm doing" and skip immediately to the start of the actual game, not tutorial land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can you reach Idolized status with Goodsprings if you skip the tutorial? Saving the lady down at the well from the Geckos puts you at Accepted status.