Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

priznat posted:

A Palladium system? Those are pretty impressive, there is one at my work too but I have nothing to do with it so far.

Lately it has been all supercaps and low power modes and noisy ADCs..
Can I borrow some free-of-charge runtime on that?

EDIT: This isn't really HDL/FPGA related, but it's close. Altium is starting to annoy my Hardware department (32-bit [even on a 64-bit platform] apparently single-threaded executable without any other subprocesses doing any additional work) when working on large, complex designs, but the price is right, and obviously there's a lot of sunk cost in the ~6+ years of ~60+ hour weeks our principal hardware engineer has put in to learning and being ridiculously productive with it. We're starting to evaluate possible other options; I'm looking at PADS VX right now (or I would be if I weren't still waiting for Mentor to send me a time-limited demo license because they're still in the 1980s with licensing), but what else should I/we consider? We don't care about auto-routing, we do care about DRC, consistently solid UI responsiveness, ability to handle really complex boards (rat's nest), layer counts, component counts, and (ideally but not required) polygons, at a roughly Altium-like price.

minidracula fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

minidracula posted:

Can I borrow some free-of-charge runtime on that?

Naw man I got it mining bitcoins :haw: (not really but we joke about that. It's pretty much in use 24/7/365)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Quick design question, its not strictly Verilog specific: I am implementing a system on my FPGA that has numerous event providers that I want to forward to an USB connection. I have a FIFO to manage the USB data, but that only works for one connection. I don't want to do round robin polling since the events may come in bursts, so I'm not sure if I should use a small FIFO per event source, or if it is possible an advisable to create some sort of FIFO that lets me add up to N entries at a time in whatever order.

• Locked thread