Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
What's your spice situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

captkirk posted:

What's your spice situation?

Yeah, this. Sounds like a thai curry with fish (cod is bland as heck to me unless spiced well) could be doable if you have any white rice on hand and a decent spice cabinet. Regardless, fish and coconut milk play well

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/coconut-fish-curry

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

I am trying to make use of the food we have, like out in the freezer and whatnot.

I am trying to piece together exactly what I am aiming for, and the problem is I DONT ACTUALLY KNOW.

Heres what I got:

Frozen unbreaded Cod Fillets (I found these digging through the deep freeze and I wanted to do something with them, so doesnt go to waste)
Two cans of Coconut milk
Packets of a tasty wild brown rice.
Some Undon noodles.

Plenty of bell peppers, and other veggies. I mean, theres a pretty stocked kitchen and Going to the store isn't an issue. It's mostly that I have a vague idea in my head, and it is bugging the poo poo out of me.

I thought about a fish stew of a sort, then jumped over to making a sort of Red beans/rice base with the fish and saute the bell peppers, onions and other bits and bobs into it.

But then I remembered the coconut milk, and then I bounced back to a thick stew with a coconut milk sauce thing?

Anyway, suggestions/ideas or links to recipes would be appreciated.

you could do something like rice & peas and jerk the cod, cooked greens or fried banana/plantain or whatever

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Eat This Glob posted:

Yeah, this. Sounds like a thai curry with fish (cod is bland as heck to me unless spiced well) could be doable if you have any white rice on hand and a decent spice cabinet. Regardless, fish and coconut milk play well

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/coconut-fish-curry

This is a solid plan. Fish curries are awesome.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I feel like this thread really should be archived, so I went ahead and took the liberty: https://sabercathost.com/e3l3/PoorGoodFood.zip

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I feel like this thread really should be archived, so I went ahead and took the liberty: https://sabercathost.com/e3l3/PoorGoodFood.zip

Thank

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've been making the following dish for my weekday lunches for the past several months.

600g dry chickpeas
1 large yellow onion
1 head celery
1 bunch cilantro (or other fresh herb of choice)
Hot peppers to taste

Pressure cook the chickpeas in very well-seasoned water until overcooked. You want them a bit mushy. With my pressure cooker (Presto 8 qt stainless), that's about 50 minutes of cook time. Drain the chickpeas and toss back in the pressure cooker.

Dice the onion, celery, cilantro, and hot peppers (I use 4 habaneros with seeds which makes it pleasantly spicy) and toss in with the chickpeas. Break out your potato masher and get to mashing. Mash, mash, mash until your arm feels like it's going to fall off. It should turn into a mostly cohesive paste, though occasionally there will be a whole chickpea here or there that gets missed. That's fine. If you mash and mash and mash and it's not turning into a paste but looking dry and crumbly, you may need to add a little water; maybe 1/4 cup at a time. You usually won't need much/any.

Once properly mashed, scrape out into a baking dish and smooth it out. Bake at 400 for 50-60 minutes or until it gets nice and browned. This dish is basically made to reheat, so it's great for lunches. It's cheap as hell, incidentally vegan, and delicious. It reminds me a bit of Thanksgiving stuffing.

Ready to bake.

Finished product.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 25, 2020

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I want to eat that ngl

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Savory chickpea bread? Is that what I'm looking at?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Astonishing Wang posted:

Savory chickpea bread? Is that what I'm looking at?

Not really bread so much as a savory chickpea cake.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hard hummus

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Hard hummus

No tahini, no hummus :colbert:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
I searched over the thread for a somewhat related topic: food storage. A lot of references to containers and storage, but not a lot on effective storage guides for kilos of rice or beans or onions.

Having food storage for a month seems like a good idea, especially in cold climates where you might get snowed in or as at the start of US COVID where stores were just flat running out of stuff or closed.

I sort of don't want to be replacing containers often. Or I would if they were inexpensive enough or reusable for nonfood purposes.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

What a cool thread. I've been eating to lose weight and to save money in the past couple of years, and so finding ways to inject flavor into my weekly prep has been fun and educational.

I don't know if it's poor technique - I'd be interested to hear if there's a good reason not to do this: A while ago, I made Kenji Lopez's broccoli cheese soup, which was delicious. It starts by sauteeing onions, carrots, broccoli and garlic, then simmering it for 30 minutes in chicken stock and milk, and then immersion blending it into a thick soup base before adding cheese. Lately, I've been taking left over vege scraps from the week, and re-creating that step with a cup of milk, and a few cups of water with bullion cubes. And just spice is however I feel like. I use things like garam masala, and cayenne a lot. I don't make the cheese soup, but just that base. By itself, it makes a delicious creamed vegetable soup. I prep lunches for the week - I can use this base in cooking to both add more flavor, and to add a sauce to the lunches. It's really added a huge amount of flavor to things like chicken and rice for relatively little effort and almost no extra money.

I've started cutting up whole chickens recently too. Making a good stock, and using the above technique, I've really been surprised by how much flavor you can squeeze out of things so easily available to you, and for cheap.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

18 Character Limit posted:

I searched over the thread for a somewhat related topic: food storage. A lot of references to containers and storage, but not a lot on effective storage guides for kilos of rice or beans or onions.

Having food storage for a month seems like a good idea, especially in cold climates where you might get snowed in or as at the start of US COVID where stores were just flat running out of stuff or closed.

I sort of don't want to be replacing containers often. Or I would if they were inexpensive enough or reusable for nonfood purposes.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/3087/food-storage-containers.html?vendor=Cambro

These are cheap and get the job done. There are slightly nicer lids for an extra couple of bucks too if you really want to ensure things keep longer.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I live in the northeastern US and eat mostly Asian foods so this is right up my alley.

I've found that onions/garlic/shallots in a basket under the sink works just fine and keeps for a while, I think they prefer a bit of airflow anyway.

OXO Pop containers are a bit expensive but if you can get coupons or on sale, they're nice. I use for beans/legumes/dal, flour, sugar, etc. Or for smaller portions of things that could go relatively quickly like baking soda or nuts, I just use old pasta sauce jars (with a new bell jar lid)

Rice, I got a food safe container with locking lid from my local H-Mart, I can just about fit 20 pounds of rice. I've seen these in all sorts of Asian and Middle Eastern markets.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Captain Lavender posted:

What a cool thread. I've been eating to lose weight and to save money in the past couple of years, and so finding ways to inject flavor into my weekly prep has been fun and educational.

I don't know if it's poor technique - I'd be interested to hear if there's a good reason not to do this: A while ago, I made Kenji Lopez's broccoli cheese soup, which was delicious. It starts by sauteeing onions, carrots, broccoli and garlic, then simmering it for 30 minutes in chicken stock and milk, and then immersion blending it into a thick soup base before adding cheese. Lately, I've been taking left over vege scraps from the week, and re-creating that step with a cup of milk, and a few cups of water with bullion cubes. And just spice is however I feel like. I use things like garam masala, and cayenne a lot. I don't make the cheese soup, but just that base. By itself, it makes a delicious creamed vegetable soup. I prep lunches for the week - I can use this base in cooking to both add more flavor, and to add a sauce to the lunches. It's really added a huge amount of flavor to things like chicken and rice for relatively little effort and almost no extra money.

I've started cutting up whole chickens recently too. Making a good stock, and using the above technique, I've really been surprised by how much flavor you can squeeze out of things so easily available to you, and for cheap.

I mean that seems like a pretty solid practice to me at a glance. It's more or less just making stock. Depending on the type of vegetable scraps you've got I might strain them back out rather than blending them in just for texture issues--I don't think my blender would ever get onion skin smooth enough for my liking. I'd also probably add the milk in later in the process to reduce any scorching risk, but if you've got it watered down to begin with that's a pretty low risk.

18 Character Limit posted:

Seconding Cambro as something that is relatively inexpensive, incredibly useful, and lasts forever. It's how I store my flour, rice, beans, sugar, etc. They're handy and rodent proof, and they store away easy because they stack. They might be more expensive than disposable storage up-front, but in the long term they'll save you tons of money.

As for storing onions, I'd include a caveat. I'm assuming you're talking about whole onions with the skin on, but you don't want to store those in any sort of sealed container. Onions need to breathe, so you'll want some sort of open top storage like a cambro without the lid. Personally I just have a basket that will hold 20lbs of onions, and every few months I replenish my stock when I catch the grocery store running a buy one-get one sale on 5lb bags of of yellow onions. No need to refrigerate. The only concern you need to consider is if you have a dog that will try and eat everything, because onions are dog poison.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Weltlich posted:

I mean that seems like a pretty solid practice to me at a glance. It's more or less just making stock. Depending on the type of vegetable scraps you've got I might strain them back out rather than blending them in just for texture issues--I don't think my blender would ever get onion skin smooth enough for my liking. I'd also probably add the milk in later in the process to reduce any scorching risk, but if you've got it watered down to begin with that's a pretty low risk.

Thank you for the advice! I've been getting a pretty smooth product, so I'll probably keep at it, or something similar. The veges I use are basically carrots, onion, garlic, and celery or broccoli stems. I've heard the broccoli is a bad choice for stock, but my palate may not be refined enough to be bothered by it? It tastes good to me, and is a good way to limit waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Nephzinho posted:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/3087/food-storage-containers.html?vendor=Cambro

These are cheap and get the job done. There are slightly nicer lids for an extra couple of bucks too if you really want to ensure things keep longer.

Weltlich posted:

Seconding Cambro as something that is relatively inexpensive, incredibly useful, and lasts forever. It's how I store my flour, rice, beans, sugar, etc. They're handy and rodent proof, and they store away easy because they stack. They might be more expensive than disposable storage up-front, but in the long term they'll save you tons of money.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! Thanks.
Gonna take awhile to digest all their options. Seems geared for food services' regulation too.