Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bollock Monkey posted:

That's... Bizarre. Why won't they give people change?!

There's no requirement for a business to provide change under arcane laws of what defines legal tender (the moar you know), but probably more likely it encourages people to pay by card which saves them hassle of dealing with cash. If anybody asks just roll out the old 'due to covid mate' as the catch-all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
making change is a pain, slows things down, and requires keeping a cash stock in various denominations? In some ways "We'll take cash but we won't give change" is better than "we won't take cash at all" which some places are moving to, annoyingly.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

tarbrush posted:

Nice.

I finally made it to beigel bake last week. Lived up to the hype.

And apparently Beigel Shop/The Yellow One had shut either for electrical repairs or repossession!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/14/piece-of-londons-jewish-east-end-feared-lost-as-beigel-shop-shuts

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, I saw! Was literally a day or two after I visited (the other one)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Having a landlord for over 150 years is wild.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

gegi posted:

making change is a pain, slows things down, and requires keeping a cash stock in various denominations? In some ways "We'll take cash but we won't give change" is better than "we won't take cash at all" which some places are moving to, annoyingly.

It absolutely isn't. If you're going to accept cash, you're going to have to make change. Who the hell has exact change for what they expect to buy?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Kaiho posted:

It absolutely isn't. If you're going to accept cash, you're going to have to make change. Who the hell has exact change for what they expect to buy?

There is no legal obligation for a business to make change. Money laws are ancient and weird.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

That may be, but there's also the law that a woman may piss in a bobby's helmet. Laws can be laws and be dog-poo poo stupid. A business leaning on "nah, not legally required" when they're A SERVICE PLACE is dumb.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Kaiho posted:

That may be, but there's also the law that a woman may piss in a bobby's helmet.

Wait what? You can't just leave that unexplained like that.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Hopper posted:

Wait what? You can't just leave that unexplained like that.

It’s an urban legend.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Kaiho posted:

Kaiho posted:

A business leaning on "nah, not legally required" when they're A SERVICE PLACE is dumb.

I stepped away because I really wasn't sure how to challenge "yeah but you don't have to give change and it's hassle" so thanks for summarising this very basic rebuttal.

If you accept cash, you've gotta give change. Not doing so is ridiculous.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
My point wasn't that it's a good thing, it obviously isn't. But if you're looking from the perspective of someone who literally only has cash to spend and is trying to buy food, it is preferable to have a store that will take your cash (but not make change) than to be turned away entirely. Which has happened to me multiple times.

"If you accept cash" This shouldn't be an if!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My favourite dim sum place in Chinatown, Wan Chai Corner has closed! :smith:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

The_Doctor posted:

Is Imperial China still going? Admittedly they only do dim sum for the lunch menu which was why we pivoted to Inamo for after work smaller bites.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Ah poo poo, that's bad news. First the restaurant with the tiny takeaway bakery in the front and now this one. Shame.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Go to Mountain. For the love of god, go to Mountain. One of the finest eateries in London.

The food was insane, smoky small plates, and the wine was delicious.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Where's good these days for a quick-ish, cheap-ish Tuesday night dinner around London Bridge station?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nando’s? I jest.

You’ve got Borough Market right next to London Bridge station, so lots of choice. Bao, Padella, Katzenjammers. Yen Burger looks quite interesting, I’d like to give that a go.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
There's a box park next on the south side of the station which is quick and cheap stuff too.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

The_Doctor posted:

Nando’s? I jest.

You’ve got Borough Market right next to London Bridge station, so lots of choice. Bao, Padella, Katzenjammers. Yen Burger looks quite interesting, I’d like to give that a go.

I'm on a reasonably tight timescale so wondering where has a high likelihood of being able to just walk in. Not heard of Yen Burger, looks interesting!

tarbrush posted:

There's a box park next on the south side of the station which is quick and cheap stuff too.

Oh yeah, I've only been there once but if it's not cold and poo poo that could be a good shout.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

There's a Flat Iron on Tooley Street. That's my go-to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

reality_groove posted:

There's a Flat Iron on Tooley Street. That's my go-to.

My go-to on Tooley Street used to be Space Adventure, but that was a while ago.